Hip-Hop in 2014 Thread

Estranged Reality

I used Me Against the World as an example of Pac being a very emotional, or sensitive rapper. Sonically of we're comparing a Pac album to TPAB, I think the serious parts of All Eyez on Me with the large g funk influence. The first track is practically a cover of "U Can't C Me." But content wise there is a lot of earlier Pac.

I guess my main point is Kendrick is the only rapper, perhaps the first in a decade, to come out new and be analogous to 2pac in any way, he deserves every and any accolade TPAB brings him.

Edited by TeeJay410

:lol:

He's a serious toker too, Bronson. Ever watch that weird panel show thing Snoop does where rappers meet up with him and smoke weed?

Just watched the one with Bronson, gotta say that while I love to smoke myself, I really don't care for watching other people do it. :P

I used Me Against the World as an example of Pac being a very emotional, or sensitive rapper. Sonically of we're comparing a Pac album to TPAB, I think the serious parts of All Eyez on Me with the large g funk influence. The first track is practically a cover of "U Can't C Me." But content wise there is a lot of earlier Pac.

I guess my main point is Kendrick is the only rapper, perhaps the first in a decade, to come out new and be analogous to 2pac in any way, he deserves every and any accolade TPAB brings him.

Everyone knows tupac had a soft side, but tupac was 100% real. You could use any one of his albums to prove that point. They all have elements of that. But you can't compare Kendrick Lamar to tupac man. Cuz he mentions a few issues in the black community? We'll see what happens but I don't see him having a tenth of the impact tupac had regarding these issues.

I personally never said anything about him being sensitive. Just shows you can be diverse in your art. Nobody wants to hear the same song regurgitated over and over. Hell just look at axl if we're talking about artists that have soft sides.

That being said Im gunna listen to the new album tonight.

Wesley's Theory is one of my favorites.

Edited by J Dog

^Great track.

Pretty pumped about both Death Grips and Action leaking. Got a lot of traveling to do on Monday which means a lot of music listening.

Could you give me a couple good Death Grips tracks to listen to? My friend once tried putting me on and I couldn't get into it.

This is a good article for the "Kendrick is great but not one of the greatest, yet" faction

http://www.laweekly.com/music/nobody-hates-kendrick-lamar-5437598

I like the LeBron to Jordan comparison, Kendrick being LeBron and Pac being Jordan. Kendrick and LeBron are more inherently talented than their past counterpart, but can't find how to mean as much as they do.

I must have read that wrong. You think he's got more talent than tupac? Based on his TWO albums, regardless of what your opinion on said albums are, there's no comparison. 2pac is one of the greatest entertainers of all time.

Edited by drtydane

If it were 1996 Wesley's Theory would be the no. 1 track on billboard.

The more I listen to it, I'm starting to like this new g funk if that's what they are calling it. The original g-funk, to me, is some of the best music to ever come out of hip hop.

This is a good article for the "Kendrick is great but not one of the greatest, yet" faction

http://www.laweekly.com/music/nobody-hates-kendrick-lamar-5437598

I like the LeBron to Jordan comparison, Kendrick being LeBron and Pac being Jordan. Kendrick and LeBron are more inherently talented than their past counterpart, but can't find how to mean as much as they do.

I will read it for sure and get back. But I must admit, saying Kendrick and LeBron are more talented than Pac and Jordan...that is a bold statement my friend.

• Like 1

I am probably as big a fan of Tupac as you'll ever meet in your life but i hate this thing thats going on, this insipid thing, of Pac being by default the best rapper ever. Like it's just meant to be taken for granted. It's something thats not necessarily the case with real hip hop heads. Not saying if you think Pac is then you ain't a real hip hop head, just meant that they don't all take it for granted, in fact they're a minority, the ones that call Pac the best.

Edited by Len B'stard

^Great track.

Pretty pumped about both Death Grips and Action leaking. Got a lot of traveling to do on Monday which means a lot of music listening.

Could you give me a couple good Death Grips tracks to listen to? My friend once tried putting me on and I couldn't get into it.

The ones that turned me on at first were Guillotine and I Want it I Need It (Death Heated), which are both on their first mixtape, Exmilitary. No Love (1/2 of a title track I guess, sort of like good kid or mAAd city) on No Love Deep Web is one of my favorites as well but that took me a little longer to come around to. I'd suggest starting with the first two I said and then if you're on board with that downloading Exmilitary and then going from there.

edit: others who listen to Death Grips are more than welcome to chime in here. They're pretty damn eclectic so it's worth having more than one opinion.

Edited by Mansin Humanity

The more talented thing is on a technical level. All the love in the world to Pac, but he was never a lyrical wizard as far as nerdy rap with 80 rhymes in a bar, multi syllabic rhyming, switching flows within flows, etc like Eminem for example. Kendrick has displayed that ability. And it's been pretty well established that in terms of raw talent, LeBron is a physical freak who, intangibles aside, is untouchable. A 6'8-9 260 lb monster who runs a 4.4 40, incredible efficiency, yadda yadda. But the point of that quip in the article is that all these things aside, they haven't quite reached the peaks of Jordan and Pac, and may never be able to.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The whiteboy is lethal. He's done so much in the game its difficult to think where he should go. Yknow what I'd do if i was him? Battle all the top battle rappers out there and just fuckin' ether the lot of em, i seriously think he could do it and thats never been done before, for a rapper to get massive but then still go back and handle business.

• Like 1