Rasp or Mickey mouse for the next tour

Rasp or Mickey mouse for the next tour  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

edit: @ Forsaken, I dunno if you're tired of people claiming 2010 was the holy grail or something in terms of Axl's voice, yea 2010 is overrated, but he was on fucking fire for the vast majority of that year. If anything was 'here and there' it was weak shows, definitely not the other way around. His voiced cracked fairly often in 09 and early 10, I guess he was still trying to get a handle on some of the CD songs, but by South America... Axl Rose was back.

Blah, I guess i'm being to critical. I'll give you that. 2010 was one of the better years he's had. I guess I've seen so many performances since 02 that it is kind of hard not to be. Credit where credit is due, he sounded good in 2010.

2010 was his best year vocally since the 90s.

Yup, easily more consistent than 2006. There were some fucking great 2006 shows (Hammerstein, RAR), but some pretty weak ones, too (Inland Invasion, RIR Lisboa). 2010, even the weaker shows like Sturgis still sounded pretty damn good, and the best ones like St Petersburg, London, Paris, Bucharest... Unbelievable. I was listening to the London boot today, couldn't believe the rasp on Don't Cry. If there was a flaw it was that he occasionally overdid the rasp (Better was sung much better in 2012 for the most part than 2010). He sang Shackler's well but he went even lower with it in 2012, really dug it first time I heard it like that at Atlantic City.

I'm hoping for at least an Atlantic City/Philly 2012 quality voice. Who knows :shrugs:

The only song I can think of that sounds better with a slightly cleaner voice is SCOM. I'm trying to stay hopeful that he's gonna be on his game, but it's tough. And, honestly, even if he sounds good, the thrill's gonna wear off pretty quick if there is no indication of new music. I wish he'd just let us know whether "Victory or Death" has turned into "Nostalgia or Death."

Edited by magisme
  • Like 1

The only song I can think of that sounds better with a slightly cleaner voice is SCOM. I'm trying to stay hopeful that he's gonna be on his game, but it's tough. And, honestly, even if he sounds good, the thrill's gonna wear off pretty quick if there is no indication of new music. I wish he'd just let us know whether "Victory or Death" has turned into "Nostalgia or Death."

Yeah I've always too thinked that Axl will have victory or death with his career..We'll have to see how it ends :shrugs:

edit: @ Forsaken, I dunno if you're tired of people claiming 2010 was the holy grail or something in terms of Axl's voice, yea 2010 is overrated, but he was on fucking fire for the vast majority of that year. If anything was 'here and there' it was weak shows, definitely not the other way around. His voiced cracked fairly often in 09 and early 10, I guess he was still trying to get a handle on some of the CD songs, but by South America... Axl Rose was back.

Blah, I guess i'm being to critical. I'll give you that. 2010 was one of the better years he's had. I guess I've seen so many performances since 02 that it is kind of hard not to be. Credit where credit is due, he sounded good in 2010.

2010 was his best year vocally since the 90s.

Yup, easily more consistent than 2006. There were some fucking great 2006 shows (Hammerstein, RAR), but some pretty weak ones, too (Inland Invasion, RIR Lisboa). 2010, even the weaker shows like Sturgis still sounded pretty damn good, and the best ones like St Petersburg, London, Paris, Bucharest... Unbelievable. I was listening to the London boot today, couldn't believe the rasp on Don't Cry. If there was a flaw it was that he occasionally overdid the rasp (Better was sung much better in 2012 for the most part than 2010). He sang Shackler's well but he went even lower with it in 2012, really dug it first time I heard it like that at Atlantic City.

I'm hoping for at least an Atlantic City/Philly 2012 quality voice. Who knows :shrugs:

I think it terms of general consistency, 2010 was easily the best since the 90's. I still think that it's still a bit overrated. How people think 2010 was better than Axl in his prime I'll never know.

I'm a 2006 guy myself. Yeah, there's some inconsistency but shows like Hammerstein and Download gave me hope for the band once again. When he was really bringing it in 2006, he was on par with his great UYI-era performances in my opinion.

------

In terms of what to expect in 2014, probably Mickey shit. I don't really keep my expectations high for the band at all.

2000-2002... what in the fuck? At least Live and Let Die sounded pretty cool. Some of the SOD performances were pretty cool too.

2006 was his best year overall: singing, dancing, public appearances, and he seemed to really want to get CD out that year. He was happy, he seemed like his old self with Izzy and Bach.

2010 was fantastic vocally.

2011 we get a disaster. I remember the RiR thread and whatever chat room I was in at the time, it was one big "What the fuck is going on?" What we did get was an Axl that seemed to be listening to us more though, we got Civil War and Estranged in 2011.

2013 he actually sounded pretty good here and there too. Much better than the beginning of the tour and in 2011.

In 2014 we will probably get what we've been getting the past couple years. A bit of rasp here, tons of mickey elsewhere. I don't rule out the possibility of there being something wrong with his throat; he screamed every night for half a decade. I think that would fuck up anybody.

2000-2002... what in the fuck? At least Live and Let Die sounded pretty cool. Some of the SOD performances were pretty cool too.

2006 was his best year overall: singing, dancing, public appearances, and he seemed to really want to get CD out that year. He was happy, he seemed like his old self with Izzy and Bach.

2010 was fantastic vocally.

2011 we get a disaster. I remember the RiR thread and whatever chat room I was in at the time, it was one big "What the fuck is going on?" What we did get was an Axl that seemed to be listening to us more though, we got Civil War and Estranged in 2011.

2013 he actually sounded pretty good here and there too. Much better than the beginning of the tour and in 2011.

In 2014 we will probably get what we've been getting the past couple years. A bit of rasp here, tons of mickey elsewhere. I don't rule out the possibility of there being something wrong with his throat; he screamed every night for half a decade. I think that would fuck up anybody.

I agree which is why it's so crazy that steven tyler's voice is pretty much the same as it was same with Cornell & Dickinson so who knows, i do think he's suffered an injury, It's also interesting to note that the weather could play a part in Axl's voice.

Either Axl brings rasp back or he should at least bring back Dead Horse!

Sick of this life
Not that you'd care
I'm not the only one with
whom these feelings I share
Nobody understands,
quite why we're here
We're searchin' for answers (the missing rasp…)
That never appear

I'd like a mix of both

Same here. I loved the shows I went to in 2006 because that's what it was. It seemed like he was killing it on some songs and purposely being reserved, i.e. doing the clean falsetto, on other songs to preserve his voice. He happened to be being the latter on songs I'm either sick or or don't like much in the first place so it was all good by me.

You know, I don't think it's rasp or no rasp that really does it for me. It's more than that. I'm not going to bash anyone from either the current or any past lineup but there is one thing that isn't there for me now: Chemistry. I don't know how else to put it. Here are a few videos, one with each band, of my favorite AFD song, Night Train. It's obvious that 20 years later, Axl isn't likely to be running laps up and downt he stage but it's like there is no energy anymore. I realize he is quite a bit older than he was but it's like all his fire is gone. This makes me sad.

And despite my loathing of Mr. Kennedy singing anything Axl sang, I have to say that Slash can move his ass for a middle-aged dude with a pacemaker.