Why Finck prefers NIN over GNR?

There's a vast difference between refusing something and not being capable of it. Going by your logic, DJ refuses to play Slash's and Robin's parts verbatim. That's ridiculous.

No, I don't give him credit because he was easily the weakest guitarist on CD and he absolutely butchered Slash's material.

Do you honestly think that somebody as meticulous Trent Reznor would accept anything other than a world-class guitarist? Finck consciously used a lazy style - whereas Dj is trying to play the parts verbatim.

Robin Finck has something like 8 credits on Chinese, he is easily the most prominent guitarist on the record.

There's a vast difference between refusing something and not being capable of it. Going by your logic, DJ refuses to play Slash's and Robin's parts verbatim. That's ridiculous.

No, I don't give him credit because he was easily the weakest guitarist on CD and he absolutely butchered Slash's material.

Do you honestly think that somebody as meticulous Trent Reznor would accept anything other than a world-class guitarist? Finck consciously used a lazy style - whereas Dj is trying to play the parts verbatim.

Robin Finck has something like 8 credits on Chinese, he is easily the most prominent guitarist on the record.

I don't care about writing credits of which he has none outside of GN'R, I care about the quality of his playing which consistently sucks. And yes, I do believe that somebody that sucks as bad as Trent Reznor would choose a guitarist that can match him in the suck department. Why wouldn't he?

I don't care about writing credits of which he has none outside of GN'R, I care about the quality of his playing which consistently sucks. And yes, I do believe that somebody that sucks as bad as Trent Reznor would choose a guitarist that can match him in the suck department. Why wouldn't he?

But we are discussing Robin Finck in the context of GNR, and no new-era guitarist has more album credits than Finck.

Whether you like Trent Reznor's music or not is irrelevant. My point is that he only settles for world-class musicians. And when you consider that Robin essentially replaced Andrian Belew, that is pretty indisputable.

But we are discussing Robin Finck in the context of GNR, and no new-era guitarist has more album credits than Finck.

Whether you like Trent Reznor's music or not is irrelevant. My point is that he only settles for world-class musicians. And when you consider that Robin essentially replaced Andrian Belew, that is pretty indisputable.

Who cares about writing credits when we know for a fact that Axl stitched together the album himself? Finck's playing on the album and any other place he plays is sub-par in Guns or out. I don't care who he replaced anywhere, that isn't a way to judge talent wether you like it or not. Especially when he failed at replacing them. Not saying he failed in NIN, because that's a load of horseshit that I don't care about; but he definitely failed at replacing anyone in Guns.

I don't care who he replaced anywhere, that isn't a way to judge talent whether you like it or not.

When you consider the plethora of talent involved with NIN - and how Trent is notoriously picky - it's a testament to Robin that he's been involved with the project for so long.

Chinese, Shackler's, Better, Street of Dreams, Catcher, Riad and Prostitute; they all involve the writing of Finck.

I don't care who he replaced anywhere, that isn't a way to judge talent whether you like it or not.

When you consider the plethora of talent involved with NIN - and how Trent is notoriously picky - it's a testament to Robin that he's been involved with the project for so long.

Chinese, Shackler's, Better, Street of Dreams, Catcher, Riad and Prostitute; they all involve the writing of Finck.

I know what involved the writing of Finck, and I don't care about that. I care about the playing of Finck, which clearly sucks.

I care about the playing of Finck, which clearly sucks.

Again, can you explain why? As far as I can tell, you're basing this entirely on his refusal to perform GNR songs verbatim.

I care about the playing of Finck, which clearly sucks.

Again, can you explain why? As far as I can tell, you're basing this entirely on his refusal to perform GNR songs verbatim.

I don't like his playing of either the stuff he wrote or especially the stuff that was written before he disgraced the band. I thought I'd made that clear. What more of an explanation do you need?

I don't like his playing of either the stuff he wrote or especially the stuff that was written before he disgraced the band.

Can you post an instance where Finck doesn't do justice to the material he was a part of? Otherwise you're basing your criticisms on his refusal to play old GNR songs verbatim.

I don't like his playing of either the stuff he wrote or especially the stuff that was written before he disgraced the band.

Can you post an instance where Finck doesn't do justice to the material he was a part of? Otherwise you're basing your criticisms on his refusal to play old GNR songs verbatim.

Listen to the parts he played on CD the album. Or any live version of songs Finck played. His playing sucks. He was the weakest link.

I think that was the first show since '06 that Axl sang the "I only wanted you to see things for yourself" bit the same way he does on the album. Probably one of the best Betters vocally I've heard from him as well, almost perfect mix of clean and raspy. Was one of the songs that suffered from uberrasp in 2010, and for a lot of 2012-3 it was mostly Mickey with a bit of rasp in the chorus, but this mix is great.

I'm a huge NIN fan, and Robin wasn't initially part of the live band this time around. It wasn't until a couple of people dropped out that Robin re-joined. It really didn't feel right without him, though. I agree with the poster above, Robin's the only member outside of Trent who it feels

HAS to be a part of NIN. Maybe he knows in GNR he'll always be viewed as Not Slash, where as he started with NIN 20 years ago and he's seen as a part of that.

And as someone else mentioned, maybe he just likes NIN music more? He seems more suited for NIN's music than GNR's.

Trent is probably more of a boss than Axl is but I'm sure Trent is a very straight-forward guy, without drama, delays and diva stuff like that.

Trent is known as a class A uncaring asshole and a complete dick when it comes to NIN.

But he has every right to be.

He gets shit done and is an artist.

There is drama and there is diva stuff.

Comes with the territory.

Don't try to make Trent into something he is not just because you want to make Axl look bad in the process.

It's so obvious from reading posts in this thread that some of you have only heard Closer, Head Like A Hole and Hurt. :lol:

I post on a several forums, and this is by far the one with the worst collective music taste.

1374125972617.jpg

Trent is probably more of a boss than Axl is but I'm sure Trent is a very straight-forward guy, without drama, delays and diva stuff like that.

Trent is known as a class A uncaring asshole and a complete dick when it comes to NIN.

But he has every right to be.

He gets shit done and is an artist.

There is drama and there is diva stuff.

Comes with the territory.

Don't try to make Trent into something he is not just because you want to make Axl look bad in the process.

Trent is a control freak who wants things to be exactly as he wants them to be - which is understandable because NIN is Trent and the band are officially hired musicians. He lets them try things and put their own spin on things, so there's some freedom there, but they know when they're signing up it's ultimately his call on everything...

GNR's basically the same thing only without acknowledging that it is. Trent and Axl are my 1 and 2 favourites of all time but there's no "in band drama" with NIN because it's Trent's production. If you can't or won't do what he wants there's a problem, but again, that's the arrangement, everyone is hired to do what he wants.