Slash and Steve Gorman?

Apparently between Slash's Snakepit breaking up and the formation of VR, Slash worked with Steve Gorman (The drummer for the Black Crowes) on an unnamed project. Does anyone have any additional information on this subject?

That's true !

But did you specifically know you wanted Matt and Duff there beside you as a rhythm section?

No, this thing came out of nowhere, this was really a fluke. When this first came down I was starting a band with Steve Gorman who is the drummer from the Black Crowes and a bass player. It wasn't necessarily Snakepit, just writing and rehearsing when Randy [Castillo] died and Matt came to me and asked if I wanted to jam at the benefit for Randy's family. Everybody had their own things going; Duff was in Seattle, Scott was still in STP and we had no idea we were going to go there. And everybody just dropped what they were doing. Duff rented a house out here in L.A. and we just focused on this thing.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/velvet_revolver_were_straight_up_f--kin_rock_part_2.html

"Fall To Pieces" was written during that time.

• 1 month later...

Apparently between Slash's Snakepit breaking up and the formation of VR, Slash worked with Steve Gorman (The drummer for the Black Crowes) on an unnamed project. Does anyone have any additional information on this subject?

That's true !

But did you specifically know you wanted Matt and Duff there beside you as a rhythm section?

No, this thing came out of nowhere, this was really a fluke. When this first came down I was starting a band with Steve Gorman who is the drummer from the Black Crowes and a bass player. It wasn't necessarily Snakepit, just writing and rehearsing when Randy [Castillo] died and Matt came to me and asked if I wanted to jam at the benefit for Randy's family. Everybody had their own things going; Duff was in Seattle, Scott was still in STP and we had no idea we were going to go there. And everybody just dropped what they were doing. Duff rented a house out here in L.A. and we just focused on this thing.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/velvet_revolver_were_straight_up_f--kin_rock_part_2.html

I remember that, for the Randy tribute gig, Slash, Matt and Duff teamed up with Keith Nelson and Josh Todd of Buckcherry. Steven Tyler also guested on a song at the end. I think they initially wanted to do the group with Nelson and Todd, but ended up ditching them and bringing Kushner on 2nd guitar, people called The Project for ages before the finally got a singer.

• 3 years later...
On 2/24/2014 at 6:18 PM, Slash2baz said:

That's true !

Bringing this thread back from the dead because I'm interviewing Gorman tomorrow. GNR related questions for him welcomed.

• Like 1

Slash said on an old interview talking about the beginning of Velvet Revolver, that he was jamming with you and a bass player around 2002, and it was right before he reconnected with Duff and Matt Sorum. He said you guys were "writing and rehearsing".

Lets go back in time a bit. Can you tell us how did you get to know Slash? Was it around that time or you have met him before?

GNROnTour.com lists a Slash guest appearance on a Black Crowes show at the The Marquee, in New York, on June 21, 1990. It says that Slash played "It's A Sin" with you guys.

How was that?

Was that the first time you guys jammed?

Right around that time Guns n Roses was likely looking for a drummer, since Steven Adler was pretty much out of the band at that point. Did you notice if Slash was like "checking" your drumming skills? Did he mention to you that GNR was looking for a drummer? Did he invite you to join GNR? Would you at that point?

Then in 1991 there is another Guns n Roses Black Crowes connection. Its well known that Slash asked Marc Ford to join GNR in 1991 after Izzy Stradlin left the band. But Marc had just joined the Crowes. Did you know about that?

Between 1990 and 2002, did you play with Slash some mre?

Have you ever played with anyone else from Guns n Roses? Izzy? Duff? Axl?

Now lets go back to 2002 the sessions with Slash. This was right after you left The Crowes, right?

How those sessions with Slash came about? He looked for you?

Did you guys jammed for how long? A couple of days? A couple of weeks? A few Months?

How were the sessions? Did you guys wrote a lot?

Can you describe a typical session with Slash? How long did it last? How things work in studio? You start playing covers to warm up or go straight to business? Slash comes with stuff that he worked by himself previously or he likes to improvise? How do yo like to write music? Does that meshes well with Slash?

Can you talk a bit about Slash's work ethic? We hear all the time that despite other huh "recreational interests" that Slash is very serious when it comes to music. Can you confirm that?

Was the music going to a direction that pleased you?

How far did the writing go? Was it just instrumental? Were there any complete songs? Was it all just instrumental? Was there a singer or another guitar player involved? Did you guys played any Guns n Roses or Snakepit songs? Did you make any demos?

Now one thing I am truly curious about. Did you guys record those writing/rehearsal sessions? Did you guys keep the tapes? Does anyone still has them? I am not sure about everyone else but I would have a blast listening to that!

So Ok, you are out of the Crowes, jamming with Slash, and all of a sudden he reconnects with Duff and Matt. So you never get to see him again?

Any other jamming since then?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

Slash said on an old interview talking about the beginning of Velvet Revolver, that he was jamming with you and a bass player around 2002, and it was right before he reconnected with Duff and Matt Sorum. He said you guys were "writing and rehearsing".

Lets go back in time a bit. Can you tell us how did you get to know Slash? Was it around that time or you have met him before?

GNROnTour.com lists a Slash guest appearance on a Black Crowes show at the The Marquee, in New York, on June 21, 1990. It says that Slash played "It's A Sin" with you guys.

How was that?

Was that the first time you guys jammed?

Right around that time Guns n Roses was likely looking for a drummer, since Steven Adler was pretty much out of the band at that point. Did you notice if Slash was like "checking" your drumming skills? Did he mention to you that GNR was looking for a drummer? Did he invite you to join GNR? Would you at that point?

Then in 1991 there is another Guns n Roses Black Crowes connection. Its well known that Slash asked Marc Ford to join GNR in 1991 after Izzy Stradlin left the band. But Marc had just joined the Crowes. Did you know about that?

Between 1990 and 2002, did you play with Slash some mre?

Have you ever played with anyone else from Guns n Roses? Izzy? Duff? Axl?

Now lets go back to 2002 the sessions with Slash. This was right after you left The Crowes, right?

How those sessions with Slash came about? He looked for you?

Did you guys jammed for how long? A couple of days? A couple of weeks? A few Months?

How were the sessions? Did you guys wrote a lot?

Can you describe a typical session with Slash? How long did it last? How things work in studio? You start playing covers to warm up or go straight to business? Slash comes with stuff that he worked by himself previously or he likes to improvise? How do yo like to write music? Does that meshes well with Slash?

Can you talk a bit about Slash's work ethic? We hear all the time that despite other huh "recreational interests" that Slash is very serious when it comes to music. Can you confirm that?

Was the music going to a direction that pleased you?

How far did the writing go? Was it just instrumental? Were there any complete songs? Was it all just instrumental? Was there a singer or another guitar player involved? Did you guys played any Guns n Roses or Snakepit songs? Did you make any demos?

Now one thing I am truly curious about. Did you guys record those writing/rehearsal sessions? Did you guys keep the tapes? Does anyone still has them? I am not sure about everyone else but I would have a blast listening to that!

So Ok, you are out of the Crowes, jamming with Slash, and all of a sudden he reconnects with Duff and Matt. So you never get to see him again?

Any other jamming since then?

...might as well make you the un-official producer on this episode! haha I appreciate this

• Thanks 1

On 3/31/2014 at 6:16 PM, moreblack said:

Slash, Matt and Duff teamed up with Keith Nelson and Josh Todd of Buckcherry. I think they initially wanted to do the group with Nelson and Todd, but ended up ditching them and bringing Kushner on 2nd guitar, people called The Project for ages before the finally got a singer.

Would've been badass.

9 hours ago, Gambit83 said:

Bringing this thread back from the dead because I'm interviewing Gorman tomorrow. GNR related questions for him welcomed.

Any chance you could ask if he's interested in joining Rich Robinsons current project, The Magpie Salute? 

Many die hard Crowes fans, myself included would absolutely love that. 

• Like 2