Does Axl even want to release any more music? Or is that just a collective delusion from us diehards?

I think he can't be bothered.

There's no money in it anymore and its easier to dial in the hits and get big chunks of money rather than go out on the less lucrative "sell the new music" route.

Pittman summed up (what i am sure was) the Camp Axl position a couple of years back.

Axl is the classic case of be careful what you wish for.

Although it garners me the reputation that I live in a basement - wearing nothing but a 2002 cancelled World Tour shirt - I genuinely really like Chinese Democracy. Naturally therefore, I'm very interested in its "heavier" follow-up.

• Like 3

I don't know if Axl wants to but new music would be nice for the people who care

The main problem is that Axl isn't among those who care anymore.

And I'm having a pretty hard time being excited about a passive band that isn't even excited about itself anymore.

I'd be surprised if Axl ever lost his own delusional desire to be seen as some kind of genius musical visionary, but I think the response to CD crushed his confidence and now he's scared shitless to release anything new.

hammer-and-nail.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEV

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ - on the second half of your statement.

Although it garners me the reputation that I live in a basement - wearing nothing but a 2002 cancelled World Tour shirt - I genuinely really like Chinese Democracy. Naturally therefore, I'm very interested in its "heavier" follow-up.

:lol: I feel the same way. I genuinely love the album except for a few tracks and I don't even hate those songs, I just don't like them as much as I do the rest of the album. Either way, I'm definitely interested in any follow up.

I think it has to do with him saying he was going to deliver an album over a decade ago and couldn't. I think he just wants the music to be ready to go and not have anyone disputing what he wants to put out this time. I think he'll get more support this time around, but the days of extravagant studio time are over.

Since the collective opinion here is that there will be no new album, I'm going to say that we'll get at least 2. Because we all know how out of touch with reality this place is. :shrugs:

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to be wildly incorrect. I'm not even trying to be all doom & gloom when it comes to new releases. If I had my way, we'd get an album a year, but that's not how it works of course.

• Like 1

I think the response to CD crushed his confidence and now he's scared shitless to release anything new.

I think/fear this ^^^ is true; but I do hope this is true:

I think it has to do with him saying he was going to deliver an album over a decade ago and couldn't. I think he just wants the music to be ready to go and not have anyone disputing what he wants to put out this time. I think he'll get more support this time around, but the days of extravagant studio time are over.

Doesn't seem likely though :(

I don't think Axl wants to release music ever again. Besides that, I also believe Axl hasn't composed a single song after the CD release. He looks completely uninspired and unmotivated. "Definite maybe" aren't words of a happy, inspired musician eager to share his songs with the world.

Since the collective opinion here is that there will be no new album, I'm going to say that we'll get at least 2. Because we all know how out of touch with reality this place is. :shrugs:

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to be wildly incorrect. I'm not even trying to be all doom & gloom when it comes to new releases. If I had my way, we'd get an album a year, but that's not how it works of course.

Yeah, I completely understand where you're coming from. Somebody has to go with the long shot though, so I guess I'll do it this time. :lol:

In my opinion, Axl is one of those people that go through extremes of productivity. For weeks, maybe months, possibly even years - he won't be capable of writing. Then, for some unknown reason, he'll suddenly experience an overwhelming drive of creativity (and obsessively work for about 24 hours). I know writers that go through such a process - they get these temporary bursts of intense inspiration from something that seems extremely insignificant to the average eye.

There will be another GNR record; it's just a matter of when.

• Like 2

I think the response to CD crushed his confidence and now he's scared shitless to release anything new.

I think/fear this ^^^ is true; but I do hope this is true:

Doesn't seem likely though :(

I don't know if the motivation is there if the audience isn't going to have much interest in new music to put a new album out, but I do think we'll get new songs. Which is no different than when he put out KOHD, Civil War or Oh My God while people were waiting, but this is a much longer wait.

I'd be surprised if Axl ever lost his own delusional desire to be seen as some kind of genius musical visionary, but I think the response to CD crushed his confidence and now he's scared shitless to release anything new.

This sums it up. If what MSL said was true, and Axl actually did turn in a new album in 2010 only to have it shot down, then I would guess this really messed with Axl's head. Going from having your record label desperate for an album to having them essentially say, "thanks but we're a little too busy now" would be pretty hard on someone as emotionally vulnerable to criticism as Axl.

No clear answer here, but Axl is the kind of person who can hit the highest of highs one second and lowest of lows the next for no reason.

He might wake up one day and want to write a song, but bc he has an obsessive attitude he will write 100 songs in one day. Then he will go on a long run of working on music for weeks and all of a sudden he will wake up one day and quit working on anything. He'll want to learn to paint or something.

Point is he really has to be extremely motivated to work on releasing music. I don't think that motivation is there right now and it's not something he will force himself to do. It's just in his nature.

this

Guest Len B'stard

I've always felt that Axl isn't making new music or rather focused on making new music with a view to some kind of release within a pre-determined time frame, he's never given me that impression. I'm sure he makes music, jots down ideals, formulates shit but i don't think it's necessarily with some kinda organised idea of releasing it sometime soon. I think it's just something he does if he's in the mood and if 10 years from now he's got a batch of decent songs and circumstances (financial or otherwise) make it prudent to move towards some kinda release he'll do it but you can take him now, in his mid 50s, his best years way behind him, as someone who feels pushed on some level to make music, i mean why bother? He's got a great legacy, he can only really fuck it up with release after release, so bide your time, take it slow, if something comes then it comes and if it don't his name is always cemented in the history books...and the longer between releases and the more hoopla in the lead up to em the more each album kinda makes a name for itself on some level and doesn't require AS high a level of quality as it would if you were releasing constantly. I mean Chi Dem is a big album in Guns history and it'll occupy a unique place in it and it's got jackshit to do with the quality of the music and everything to do with all the bullshit leading up to it.

Wait another 10 years for your next release and, what with us little scamps slurping up every little dripping of information shaken off on us, it'll develop some kinda identity of it's own too.

If you think about it, Chi Dem 2 is a figment of our imagination. Exactly jack shit has been said about its existence (including the name, which i'm pretty sure we all made up) all the song names are just bullshit speculatory crap thats been bandied around, maybe one or two with some grain of truth as to their existence, it's pretty much just something that people on these GnR forums dreamt up and snowballed into existing.

Edited by sugaraylen
  • Like 1

This sums it up. If what MSL said was true, and Axl actually did turn in a new album in 2010 only to have it shot down, then I would guess this really messed with Axl's head. Going from having your record label desperate for an album to having them essentially say, "thanks but we're a little too busy now" would be pretty hard on someone as emotionally vulnerable to criticism as Axl.

This is the answer, everything else is speculation

Guest Len B'stard

This idea that a band like GnR could offer up an album and, in this day and age, where music and record companies are in such a shit state, that they'd REFUSE a GnR album is just absolute bullshit. The fact of the matter is GnR are a HUGE name, you will always go at least platinum with em, no matter how fucking naff it is, the sheer amount of records that would be sold just based on the fact that it's a GnR album would push the shit through. It's not as if any new offering would carry that Chi Dem weight of 'the album that cost 16 basquillion dollars to make!', thats where they'd have a right to object but really, come on, Axl could release an albums worth of Yoko yodelling and it'd still sell fuckin' copies, the international market, south american, europe, asia, they'd fucking rake it in. It's all about your level of investment and recouping that shit....so from a record company perspective, what have they got to lose? There is literally no level upon which refusing a GnR release would be beneficial to a record company.

Edited by sugaraylen
  • Like 2