Axl's "personal little baby" Estranged

Snowmass

Marc- In this clip Axl refers to Estranged as "my personal little baby". How much did Estranged mean to Axl? It's a phenomanal song and has always been one of my top 3-4 Guns songs and I was really happy to hear him sing it last tour. And what is Axl's favorite Guns song (all time)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXg2yY9IRIA

Edited by Snowmass

I guess because it was Axl's song that he wrote and it was his baby. Slash just played on it. The truth is 70% of the song is really All axl but the guitar melody that Slash added is so powerful that I think it's worth at least 1/2 of the song for the parts while he is playing it. Which would mean Slash should have got about 15% of the song writing credit in my opinion. Take Slash's part out of the song and you still have a great song but with it in you have the one of best songs ever done. Slash's part just gets into your veins and gives you chills. I really didn't think Axl would ever play that song again because of that. It is most likely the reason he didn't for so long.

• Like 1

It was definitely a crazy song to bring back into the setlist. Axl stated in 91 that it was his baby, and commented again in 2011 that it's been a long time since he's performed it. I absolutely love Estranged and Rocket Queen and I always smile that Axl chose to play these two songs back to back during recent tours. Funny how that works...I love Pretty Maids All in a Row and my lady loves I Can't Tell You Why...we both enjoyed hearing those two songs back to back at the Fabulous Forum this January.

Estranged's journey is complete with Slash's guitar. Without his parts, the song misses what it has. It's truly a musical masterpiece because of Axl's piano, Ax's vocal, Slash's guitar, and Axl's lyrics.

Marc, you seem (and I only use the word "seem" cause I don't know you personally, although I've munched in your deli plenty) like such a down to earth GNR fan, not the mega-insder that you truly are. It's that perspective that I find so intriguing. The band was such a stripped down, guts and glory blued based rock n roll thing that knowing the guys probably didn't affect your love for their sweet ass music. The tunes were huge and it's awe-inspiring to know the humans that could create them.

I find it very cool and interesting that you love Estranged as much as you do. It's not an AFD song. You knew Slash first. You speak of Axl with such respect for what he means to you and how talented he is. Loving AFD above all else is like the staple of what a lot of guys would say is a true GNR fan. But you are without question a true GNR fan...and Estranged hits home. I think that's cool man. It does the same for me too.

• Like 1

One of their best songs for sure. I like how the song rises and falls throughout. Great lyrics, Axl sounds great and Slash wrote a cool masterpiece.

All of the elements of the band are clicking, even Matts bombastic and over the top drum tone fits perfectly.

Marc~ Were you surprised that the band was creating these long epic songs as opposed to sticking with the harder/punkier sounding songs that made then famous?? Sans Sweet Child O' Mine and Patience.

I think all of their long songs are awesome, but would have liked for them to stick with the formula that got them there for one more album. Then unleash the November Rains, Estranged etc...but what the hell do I know?? Lol...

Slash did something unique with Estranged. The part that always gets me is that he didn't even like that type of songs and playing with a piano in the background and came up with something that brilliant. Fucking amazing.

Marc~ Were you surprised that the band was creating these long epic songs as opposed to sticking with the harder/punkier sounding songs that made then famous?? Sans Sweet Child O' Mine and Patience.I think all of their long songs are awesome, but would have liked for them to stick with the formula that got them there for one more album. Then unleash the November Rains, Estranged etc...but what the hell do I know?? Lol...

No not at all, I already knew about Nov Rain back in the mid 80's and don't Cry from the demo had a lot to do with the band getting signed and Tom Z didn't even know about it when he saw the band play live. I think it was the fact that they could do both funky/catchy and ballads is what made the difference of maybe signing them to for sure signing them.

Slash did something unique with Estranged. The part that always gets me is that he didn't even like that type of songs and playing with a piano in the background and came up with something that brilliant. Fucking amazing.

Yes but Slash was really good at coming up with power full things because Axl's voice brought that out of him. They really were a great team together. Axl also knew what to do with the riffs that Slash came up with too.

Thanks for the insight Marc.

I always thought it was awesome how they could go from playing a song like Jungle, and then go into a ballad like Don't Cry. It s a good way of playing to the crowd, imo.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Mr C,

Nice of you to join us, certainly hope they stay has been pleasurable.

On this topic to correct Axl thanked Slash for the "great leads", not for writing the melody of the song.

They had a formula for ''performance credit'' and ''writing" royalties, so the solo was always a set % as was the main riff of the song, the melody, the words, etc. I doubt Slash earned any more for Estranged solos on record sales, radio, or video plays than say his work on "My World". (Estranged selling/playing more making the difference in total $ earned, of course)

I agree as far as the real guitar solos that are in the song but I'm not talking about the guitar solos, Iam talking about Slash's guitar melody which is about 1/3 of the song. As far as guitar solos, in Nov Rain slash hada few that really added to the song but I don't think he should have got song writing credit for them. Estranged is a lot different. Slash added to the overall melody of the song. Take out Slash's parts and its a different song.

Edited by recklessroad