Soundgarden Announces 20th Anniversary Reissue of 'Superunknown

Gibbo

2014 marks the 20th anniversary of Soundgarden's acclaimed fourth album, "Superunknown," and the band plans to mark the occasion with a massive five-disc reissue.

Due out June 3rd via A&M Records/UME, the Super Deluxe Edition of "Superunknown" includes a remastered copy of the album, as well as a mix of the album in Blu-ray Audio 5.1 Surround Sound, plus demos, rehearsals, and B-sides. It also includes a hardbound book with a lenticular cover, liner notes by David Fricke, never-before-seen photographs, and newly reimagined album artwork designed by Josh Graham.

The reissue will also be available as a two-disc Deluxe Edition and a two-LP gatefold featuring the original 16 vinyl tracks remastered on 200-gram vinyl. Furthermore, the "Superunknown" singles and associated b-sides with the new artwork will be reissued on Record Store Day (April 19th) as a set of five limited edition 10" vinyl records.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8fPixhuiTI#t=20

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/soundgarden_announces_20th_anniversary_reissue_of_superunknown.html

Edited by Gibbo 27

Was listening to the Black Hole Sun and Spoonman singles in the car just today. Keen.

Was listening to the Black Hole Sun and Spoonman singles in the car just today. Keen.

As long as it sounds better. Hope there's some cool B sides like Touch Me.

Edited by Johnny Drama

What the fuck, man.

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely buying this. Can't wait for the blu-ray mix.

Also, they're gonna be playing the album live in full at the iTunes festival. Hopefully they keep that up for the upcoming tour.

People can finally stop requesting Mailman to be played.

They better play Mailman and Limo Wreck.

• 2 weeks later...

I normally don't buy reissues and I've generally been lazy with buying stuff, even from my all time favorite bands.

But, I'm going to buy this.

Superunknown is a CLASSIC. Albums don't get any deeper than this one. Like Suicide, limo wreck, mailman, etc. Wow. This album is such a masterpiece.

I think most people only know Black Hole Sun and haven't invested themselves in the rest of the album. But when you get into the deeper cuts, wow. You realize what an absolutely epic album this is.

• Like 1

Definitely buying this. Can't wait for the blu-ray mix.

Also, they're gonna be playing the album live in full at the iTunes festival. Hopefully they keep that up for the upcoming tour.

People can finally stop requesting Mailman to be played.

They better play Mailman and Limo Wreck.
Word.

I just looked the tee and hoodie deluxe edition it's a bit expensive, but I really liked that eclipse thingy.

I've actually just started getting into them. I definitely hope it sounds better too.

Also, I generally really enjoy their guitar player's writing, particularly the further away they go from by the books grunge/metal, but does anyone else think his leads are fucking terrible? It was worse in badmotorfinger than superunknown but he sounds like a 5th rate Tony Iommi who raided all the effects pedals from guitar center. Can anyone point me to some leads he has done that they consider good? I really want to like him but his solos make it so hard.

...Can anyone point me to some leads he has done that they consider good? I really want to like him but his solos make it so hard.

Limo Wreck. Can't remember how they do it live, and I don't know if it's technically a 'lead' or a solo, or whatever, since it's kind of low in the mix and only on one channel. It starts around 4:50 of the song. Fits the song perfectly and sounds brilliant, to me.

As to the reissue of this album, I think it's awesome. But I think what would be far more awesome is if they FINALLY release that compilation of B-sides that they've been teasing for years years.

• 3 weeks later...

I've actually just started getting into them. I definitely hope it sounds better too.

Also, I generally really enjoy their guitar player's writing, particularly the further away they go from by the books grunge/metal, but does anyone else think his leads are fucking terrible? It was worse in badmotorfinger than superunknown but he sounds like a 5th rate Tony Iommi who raided all the effects pedals from guitar center. Can anyone point me to some leads he has done that they consider good? I really want to like him but his solos make it so hard.

I thought this originally too! But here's the secret with Soundgarden: just when you expect them to do something a certain way, they do something completely different. You expect them to turn right, but they turn left.

And it's very strange..... But eventually it all makes sense. I hated Kim Thayil's playing at first. It sounds chaotic and messy often times. It's not what you expect or want. You want Jimmy Page or Slash style memorable melodic solos and you get something else which is or can be initially a let down.

But after awhile, you "get it" and it all makes sense. And all that weird ass stuff starts to be understandable.

That's why Soundgarden isn't easy to digest at first. Like most great albums, it takes a long time for Soundgarden to sink in.

I bought Badmotorfinger for example, and thought it was garbage. Years later I explored it again and I finally "got it" and fell in love. And it's like this with all Soundgarden albums. And that's what makes them special.

So give the music a chance to sink in and over time you'll see the brilliance. And regarding the solos/leads, they are just very subtle, complimentary to the song without being a complete attention stealer, and brilliantly thought out. What sounds random is actually completely intentional.

I thought this originally too! But here's the secret with Soundgarden: just when you expect them to do something a certain way, they do something completely different. You expect them to turn right, but they turn left.

And it's very strange..... But eventually it all makes sense. I hated Kim Thayil's playing at first. It sounds chaotic and messy often times. It's not what you expect or want. You want Jimmy Page or Slash style memorable melodic solos and you get something else which is or can be initially a let down.

But after awhile, you "get it" and it all makes sense. And all that weird ass stuff starts to be understandable.

That's why Soundgarden isn't easy to digest at first. Like most great albums, it takes a long time for Soundgarden to sink in.

I bought Badmotorfinger for example, and thought it was garbage. Years later I explored it again and I finally "got it" and fell in love. And it's like this with all Soundgarden albums. And that's what makes them special.

So give the music a chance to sink in and over time you'll see the brilliance. And regarding the solos/leads, they are just very subtle, complimentary to the song without being a complete attention stealer, and brilliantly thought out. What sounds random is actually completely intentional.

This. All their albums have taken me a long time to get into but once you get them you love them. That being said, Ultramega OK is probably the worst album I own. Beyond the Wheel not counting, of course.

His best solo is in Birth ritual. Another good solo is the one in Like Suicide. There's also Taree.

Live to Rise has an amazing solo as well.

Can you get Birth Ritual on any official releases? I think I've got the demo on My Wave and the studio version on the Burden in My Hand single. Need to dig those two up.

You can get it on the Singles soundtrack I believe