April 23rd, 2014 - Golden Gods - Los Angeles, CA - Axl receives "Ronnie James Dio Lifetime Achievement Award"

Easy - fine

Jungle - fine

Better - not the best vocally but the breakdown was awesome

TIL - not the best vocally, but you can feel the emotion, great dramatic solo.

YCBM - a bit something but Duff stands up front playing bass is awesome

SCOM - somewhat like Better, but again by the end he was nailing.

NR - fine, nice red hat, when Elton dies Axl is going to own Disney

Heavens Door - this was great vocally and Fortus was doing something great, this is what we should be talking about

PC - it's Paradise City shut your mouth, red confetti everywhere n shit

Also Fortus did an awesome solo jam thing and I think Ron jammed on I'm Gonna Leave You Babe/Zeepelin?

• Like 1

DJ messed up the intro to SCOM? I didn't even notice it. Not even just saying that, either. I truly didn't catch it.

So you're deaf

ok

PS: Bam Margera is a stupid junkie, i wish he died in an agonizing death

Man, you're a terrible person to wish death on someone.

I don't even think on it serisously, lol

But Margera is on a downhill since he lost his friend

I guess Bam will die a few years from now on

Fortunately there were some pretty girls in the audience, many of the men looked like

some doom metal fans. Axl was looking nice too. From the streamed version I got

the impression that Axl had some throat trouble at times. I used to have that all the time

when coming from or going to warmer climates. He had to maybe use more effort to give

a good show. When there is throat trouble would it be easier to use a slower pace and/

or sing lower/do it more acoustic style or something? The slower version of NR in Bolivia

was nice.

I would enjoy the performance even if he was just reading out the lyrics with his speaking

voice or just danced around almost without singing. He has a special voice even at times

when he can only deliver 90%, it is still more than most singers can give ever.

As the people know who have seen him live, there is no other performer like him.

Pretty Reckless: God, Taylor is so, so hot, dear Lord.

Thank you! That's all I really wanted to know! :D

Who was that guy with a cig talking before Cage appeared on stage?

Dude, Andrew Dice Clay man lol. One of the filthiest comedians ever haha. Even though I'm glad Nicolas Cage was there, I can't really think of anyone more fitting to have intro'd Axl than Andrew.

• Like 1

I wasn't expecting a CDII starts now announcement, or promise of new music so the set up and execution was exactly as I expected. Two cents:

- Cagey is a legend. Great intro for Axl

- WTTJ was strange. You had Mickey, classic rasp and the CD industrial rasp which i'd not heard him use in this song before. 3 different voices sounded odd.

- DJ cocking up SCOM is unforgivable. Its the bands bread and butter.

- Duff was great

All this has done has diminished my appetite for a reunion further. Axl's voice isnt up to it. If a reunion were to happen it would require 2010 form to be something really special. He doesnt have that any more.

When other frontmen aged they managed to find a voice and adjust the material accordingly by downtuning, slowing the tempo etc. Unfortunatly for Axl, his rasp and power was a fundamental, integral part of the music and sound of GNR, without it, its nothing special and actually sounds quite awkward. Which is why seeing performances like this hurts so much. Its quality music, impared by the voice.

...Still, It's So Easy was great so thats something.

Urgh, that gigantic Monster logo is just a constant reminder of everything I don't like about DJ.

To whoever it was defending DJ on the SCOM intro - sure, he wasn't personally responsible for the guitar being out of tune. He was responsible for continuing to play it though. It seems incomprehensible to me that he didn't realise there was something wrong, and he should have just stopped and grabbed another one. Instead he just stood there and completely murdered it. That's the song just about everyone (outside here) wants to hear and the intro is what sends everyone nuts.

The show was pretty hard to watch overall, but pretty similar to the general standard since late 2013. I didn't get to see all of it. Nic Cage's intro was awesome (I had no idea he was present at the first live performance of WTTJ?), but things went downhill after ISE. Axl seemed to be trying really hard which was good to see, but it looked like he was having a hard time up there. He's usually pretty good on WTTJ, but he seemed to keep switching between his falsetto and his chest voice every other line, it looked really uncomfortable. I enjoyed YCBM for the most part, thought he really tried hard with the breakdown too and it sounded better than usual.

It seems to me that what's suffered the most in recent years is his falsetto. Back in 2010, he turned it into that raspy "screech", which sounded awesome - but pretty clearly did him some damage over the course of the year. You can hear it got progressively grittier towards the end of the year and it sounded a lot more painful to maintain. I feel like he wouldn't be performing at all in 2014 if he kept on the way he was.

My guess is that during the break until Rio, he probably sought out some coaching advice and was advised to avoid pushing the falsetto into a screech to preserve his voice. The "Mickey" voice people hate came back suddenly and everyone was left scratching their heads.

It definitely improved from that point for a while (excusing Bridge School, but I do think he was genuinely ill). By the time Vegas ended, he was singing cleanly, but he had control again - lots of vibrato, not as much "gasping" for air. He'd pull out that rasp on the really high stuff (it's a lot easier to do when you're pushing more air on high notes) but wouldn't try to sing every line like that. I thought his voice was excellent at the last two Vegas shows - in some ways better than when I saw them in 2010.

Then 2013 rolled around, and at the AU shows then, I noticed him having trouble on certain songs and was a lot less consistent than 4-5 months earlier. I was only really impressed at one of the three gigs, the other two were just "OK". Since then it just seems to have been a steady decline with a few patches of improvement.

Hard to be optimistic about the prospects of him getting any better on future tours if the cycle continues like this. It really seems like he needs a break, some time to try and get fit and work on his voice. I think he'd still be able to deliver in the studio if there was the motivation, but it seems like either the interest (or quite possibly the money) isn't there for an album. If Duff were to somehow magically stick around, I honestly think he's capable of providing that motivation, but otherwise things look pretty bleak for the future. DJ doesn't help either.

• Like 2