The Ukraine Situation

downzy

What's your thoughts on what's happening in Ukraine right now? I thought the worst was over after the former President, Viktor Yanukovych, fled to Russia after a week and a half of protest and violence.

Now looks like the Russians are involving themselves in a big way.

Really got to question the point of "intelligence" if on Thursday the best estimate was the Russia would posture but not actually intervene militarily in the Ukraine. A day later and there's reports of Russian military crossing over the border.

I don't think the West, particularly the U.S. wants to go to war over something like this, but I image there will be some sort of response if the reports of Ukrainian sovereignty has been violated by Russian forces.

Edited by downzy
  • Like 2

Surely it would be a bit rich of the US to complain about Russia violating Ukraine's sovereignty given that America routinely violates the borders of other countries? As for the Ukraine, in a wider sense, surely we, in the wider community, should be prepared to act in a humanitarian capacity and not a military one.

• Like 3

i think it was only a matter of time until putin blew a gasket and was going to do something like this. its a mess that is for sure. in fighting inside the ukraine is one thing but one side has a huge army with a nutbar pulling the strings. i really do not know what the US and anybody else really can do about this. i doubt we send in troops to fight the russians, we can talk tough all we want putin will see through it and keep on doing whatever he has planned on doing. i really do not see this ending well for the ukraine nationalists.

• Like 1

I think the reported numbers are 14 attack helicopters and 2000 soldiers. I haven't seen any source though staying what unit these soldiers belong to, or if they're even official Russian military. It looks like something is going on for sure, but until we have more information, I don't know that I'd call this an invasion.

i think it was only a matter of time until putin blew a gasket and was going to do something like this. its a mess that is for sure. in fighting inside the ukraine is one thing but one side has a huge army with a nutbar pulling the strings. i really do not know what the US and anybody else really can do about this. i doubt we send in troops to fight the russians, we can talk tough all we want putin will see through it and keep on doing whatever he has planned on doing. i really do not see this ending well for the ukraine nationalists.

Yeah, I'm not sure there's much anyone could do about it. It's not like Ukraine is France or Germany. Or that Russia is looking to forcibly take over the entire country. If all they're after is Crimea, I can't see there being enough incentive for Western powers to involve themselves militarily. Obama will make threats and posture, but Russia will do what it wants.

Yeah, I'm not sure there's much anyone could do about it. It's not like Ukraine is France or Germany. Or that Russia is looking to forcibly take over the entire country. If all they're after is Crimea, I can't see there being enough incentive for Western powers to involve themselves militarily. Obama will make threats and posture, but Russia will do what it wants.

president obama and the US is in a shitty situation. obama knows he cannot send troops in, but at the same time he has to say something, he cannot just go quiet and ignore the situation either.

president obama and the US is in a shitty situation. obama knows he cannot send troops in, but at the same time he has to say something, he cannot just go quiet and ignore the situation either.

It's not that Obama can't, it's that the US government wouldn't want to start WWIII. POTUS can easily mobilize a few MarSoc battalions or Delta Force, and have them enter the country quietly without uniforms. In fact, I can almost guarantee that situation is being planned in the Pentagon right now - just in case it comes to that.

Yea, because we've always had a huge problem sending troops in where they don't belong.

We've gone full on middle finger with Russia before, and I think the only reason we made it out of the Cold War alive was war profiteering booming our economy, and cocaine in the 80's once again booming our economy. Our country is shit right now and we can't afford to start WW3. Russia is DESPERATELY trying to save their oil and natural gas interests, particularly with fracking being such a viable source of cheap energy now. Though thanks to moronic, douchebag, idiot, liars like Josh Fox and his wildly inaccurate "documentary" Gasland, they're still getting their cash out of it that they want.

• Like 1

http://voiceofrussia.com/2014_02_28/Ukraine-was-a-playbook-CIA-coup-d-tat-Prof-Francis-Boyle-6845/

According to Professor Boyle what happened in Kiev was a playbook coup d'état by the CIA. Victoria Nuland, the Assistant Secretary of State for European Affairs, working with the US Ambassador, were instrumental in carrying out the coup d'état, as it has been proven they were working with “the brown shirts”: Svoboda, the right sector, the Bandera Nazis and skinheads

http://rt.com/news/nuland-phone-chat-ukraine-927/

20140220_ukr7_0.png

Doesn't make sense for 2 reasons:

A. Ukraine (most likely) would like pipelines going through their country. They could collect tax on them, etc.

B. If Ukraine really (for whatever reason) doesn't want pipelines going through their country, they could just as easily go through Belarus.

Not everything is a conspiracy....sometimes coups happen....and conflicts arise.

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 2

I can’t be bothered answering all the fucking outrageous bullshit that is posted in this thread by Ratbrain about coup d'état by CAI, nazis, skinheads and Russian speaking population being deprived of their civil rights. I’m a part of that Russian speaking population of Ukraine and like the vast majority of my compatriots I support Ukrainian revolution and I participated in it. Actually the fact that people spread anti-Ukrainian lies on gnr forum speaks volumes about how successfully some part of the western society is brainwashed by Kremlin propaganda. Lies and hate, anti-Western rhetoric (and anti-Ukrainian as well, because Ukraine wants to be in EU, not in some fucking USSR) is Russia’s new national idea. If you want to know what really happened in Ukraine, you should read this

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2014/mar/20/fascism-russia-and-ukraine/?fb_action_ids=10152574707853943&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%5B413616652105754%5D&action_type_map=%5B%22og.likes%22%5D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

Now about Russian invasion in Crimea. It’s on. yesterday President Obama made a statement about the situation in Ukraine. And here in Ukraine we think it was pathetic. In fact by the statement he gave Putin "carte blanche" to do whatever the fuck he wants. I think one of Ukraine's biggest mistakes was giving up it's nuclear weapons under the guarantees of sovereignty and inviolability of borders from Russia, USA and UK. and now, 20 years later we are hostages of criminal Russia and hypocritical west. I hope Obama understands that by doing so he shows the world that international guarantees worth nothing and he encourages all the smallest countries to arm with nuclear weapons because when shit happens they will be on their own

http://voiceofrussia.com/2014_02_28/Ukraine-was-a-playbook-CIA-coup-d-tat-Prof-Francis-Boyle-6845/

According to Professor Boyle what happened in Kiev was a playbook coup d'état by the CIA. Victoria Nuland, the Assistant Secretary of State for European Affairs, working with the US Ambassador, were instrumental in carrying out the coup d'état, as it has been proven they were working with “the brown shirts”: Svoboda, the right sector, the Bandera Nazis and skinheads

Just stop it. Keep it in your thread.

• Like 1

oh fuck off. you can post fake pictures and lame ass "analytics" all day, but you will never find any credible evidence that Svoboda leaders ever did or said something that could be qualified remotely neo-nazi or anti-semitic

What are you suggesting the US do, netcat?

at this stage, when no one is killed in Crimea so far, and there's still a chance to stop Putin from annexing it, i suggest that USA could not only threaten to ignore G8 summit in Sochi (which is just laughable) and warn Russia "there will be consequences", but to point out what exactly those consequences will be. for example, personal sanctions against high officials. the reduction of Russian oil quotas. im sure US Department of State knows all the weak points of the regime

so what if he said we should fight Moskovite Jewish mafia? the key word is mafia. this was the criminal group who tried to take over the local political establishment in 2004. see, moskals and zhudy are derogatory terms in Russian. in Ukrainian those just normal literary language, but yes a little bit archaic.

as for the video you've posted, i have no idea wtf it is supposed to mean. do you think Tyahnybok placed that thing on the wall?

This is a very interesting read about how divided the country is on geographical and ethnic grounds.

If Russia goes all the way and invades (remember the occupation of parts of Georgia five years ago?) we might see a Cyprus situation with a country that is officially whole but de facto split. It could be just Crimea that splits off, or it could be more.

This is a very interesting read about how divided the country is on geographical and ethnic grounds.

the article is more or less correct. but here is a thing. in 1991 there was a national referendum, 84% of legal voters participated and 90% of them said they want to live in the independent state of Ukraine. according the latest national polls, today situation looks exactly the same.