How do you relate to the lyrics of AFD?

I find the more universal songs like SCOM or Paradise City make sense to me. Maybe something like Nightrain and Think about you is a relatable experience. The rest is more a GNR movie in my mind?

How about you?

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

im a rockstar that gets drunk all the time, shoots heroin all day every day, and fuck many many hot groupies. that is how i relate to the album.

Edited by bran
  • Like 2

Interesting topic. Maybe I'm wrong but It would seem that men would relate to the songs from their vantage point and women would feel they are singing to them. Just a thought.

You don't necessarily have to relate or identify. You could just think they were living a fantasy, like it's entertainment.

• Like 1

Interesting topic. Maybe I'm wrong but It would seem that men would relate to the songs from their vantage point and women would feel they are singing to them. Just a thought.

You don't necessarily have to relate or identify. You could just think they were living a fantasy, like it's entertainment.

I think for women, feeling they are singing to them, well that is a fantasy! This is how I related to their music in the '80's. How my girlfriends did too. We felt they were speaking our language. Present day, it's all nostalgia I would like to think! But no, still speaking my language. Then / now, yes it is all entertainment!!

I think for women, feeling they are singing to them, well that is a fantasy! This is how I related to their music in the '80's. How my girlfriends did too. We felt they were speaking our language. Present day, it's all nostalgia I would like to think! But no, still speaking my language. Then / now, yes it is all entertainment!!

How would you explain Welcome to the Jungle? Who are the "people that you find"? Are they just the bad guys you want to hang with?

What I'm saying is you can relate directly to some songs (oe maybe you can't) and some times it's just exciting. Like people like to watch a football game, but they can't run for shit themselves.

What lyrics or songs did you relate to specifically?

If you relate to a lot of the lyrics you probably need to seek some addiction counseling.

Not may of the songs are about drinking and drug addiction specifically. There are some truths about it, but not really anything actually hedonistic, which is odd isn't it.

Edited by wasted

Guest Len B'stard

I don't, which is what was so good about them at the time, like a window into a world that had nothing to do with me but looked like the coolest thing ever. Kinda like a Hitchcock movie, they're like a world all of their own. It was cynical and sleazy and aggressive and arrogant and all the things a growing boy needs :lol: The perfect antedote to living in a three bed semi in Watford and knowing there's a church jumble sale going on down the road, a church fete...and neat hedges and aspirational lower middle class people saving up for big screen tellys and hi fi's. And dug into the middle of all of that like an ingrown toenail was this authentic tale of irrepressible lowlifes and ne'er do wells, it's just desperately romantic.

Greyhound bus, i never seen a greyhound bus before, closest i seen was the 321 to Harrow Weald, it's just exciting, for people that occupy themselves by going out in groups of 7 or 8 and sitting on a wall going halves on a can of cider and smoking fags nicked from my mates Mums bedroom and just desperately bored and totally disinterested in anything life had to offer Appetite was a fucking revelation, it kinda gives you an identity, seperates out of a crowd who the people you're gonna end up hanging out with (back in a time where musical taste actually had a bearing in defining such things).

Self discovery, a young man coming of age, finding out about himself and his body :lol: What I'm tryna say is it made my nipples sore :lol: These horrible louts with absolutely no redeeming qualities that slept in leather trousers and only woke up to stumble onstage, whirl like a dervish, go mad, entertain a fuckload of people them off to do drugs that you've never heard of with big titted blonde women with no soul in their eyes, it's just everything you want innit? When you're sitting at school singing hymns in assembly or the teachers doing the register and it's chucking down outside the idea of bright shiny L.A. with palm trees and sun and everything super spaced out and vibrant and dirty and populated by people that look like Izzy Stradlin and all the birds look amazing, it's like...i dunno, a life less ordinary.

Edited by sugaraylen

Most of the songs can be less specific. Welcome to the Jungle need not be, specifically LA, but can relate to any urban sleazy jungle, be that London or New York. Brownstone can be about, any addiction. Nightrain - pick your poison; most people have a cheap booze which they drink when they are young, solely to get drunk. TAY and SCOM are love songs so they are easy.

PS

Can anyone really relate to 10mins epics about Axl's (two) doomed relationships? Estranged, Coma - these songs are so, Axl specific, that I can not relate to them whatsoever. The guy made an entire album, CD, about Steph Seymour. It is tedious beyond belief. I can much more relate to songs about addiction and decadence than those type of numbers.

AFD was never an album whose lyrics I gave much attention, with the exception of Brownstone and It's So Easy in places. That album is all about the feel and the sound. It's like mainlining adrenalin. Not that the vocals aren't key - they're central - but it's not so much about the literal words being sung for me.

How would you explain Welcome to the Jungle? Who are the "people that you find"? Are they just the bad guys you want to hang with?

What I'm saying is you can relate directly to some songs (oe maybe you can't) and some times it's just exciting. Like people like to watch a football game, but they can't run for shit themselves.

If you relate to a lot of the lyrics you probably need to seek some addiction counseling.

Not may of the songs are about drinking and drug addiction specifically. There are some truths about it, but not really anything actually hedonistic, which is odd isn't

November Rain

Edited by AdriftatSea

i was 13 or 14 when appetite took off and obviously naive to the world.

i soon learned certain members had heroin habits.

i copied izzy,slash and Axl with everything they did,how they dressed etc.

but i did not take up heroin.

being a young guitar player mostly into keith before appetite i was impressed not so much

by the lyrics but by Slash amazing guitar work on the album.

it's tuned half a step down and this i feel made the album sound heavier than the other

bands at the time.pussy corporate rock like Poison were instructed by labels

as to how to write lyrics young people could relate to and it showed.

appetite was real and LA was a fucking jungle in that time period.

so i related more to the general fuck you attitude the band had than specific lyrics like brownstone.

Not may of the songs are about drinking and drug addiction specifically. There are some truths about it, but not really anything actually hedonistic, which is odd isn't

November Rain

Ok, that makes sense to me. So more SCOM on AFD. Those are the more popular songs anyway probably because they are more relatable to more people.

There's definitely songs that can be universal like Nightrain, even Brownstone (if you take them a certain way) and then others that are darker like Out ta Get Me, It's So Easy, Rocket Queen maybe even Jungle that conjure up something darker. Where you think "Ok, I'm not these guys but they are pretty cool".

Maybe the meaner or more nasty stuff works like in a more fascinating way and convinces you of something. It's a more unique, interesting, exciting take on life. You can feel the realness of it. I del that with Sex Pistols too. A real sense of danger is captured on the record.

to be shocking was also part of the job description. They had to be more in every direction to make an impact.

Edited by wasted

I like the AFD lyrics. They have stood the test of time well, and i don't see them going out of fashion anytime soon, that's why they are so good, as many people can relate to them, probably because they are so raw, no bullshit, and the sound backs them up so well. Without wishing to sound like a stuck record, this is what is missing from new Gn'R, all these traits..

For me, I can't relate to AfD based on lyrics in literal form. Usually with music, I enjoy it more when I can relate. But AfD is a different beast. My favorite record ever.

Of course there are songs that anyone can releate to, "Think About You" and "Sweet Child." Even "Nightrain," about a cheap vice and good ass time.

But anyway, I listen to it mostly as a pick me up when anything exciting is going on, or, for example, before going out drinking for the night. It's a huge pick-me up.

I relate to the honestly and emotions that exist within Appetite and appreciate the group of guys in that band artistically expressing their own experiences. You don't have to have be homeless in LA while banging chicks and doing excessive amount of drugs to relate to the general empathy and emotions the songs portray.

That is why the album is so great, for the duration of those songs you are in the world of GNR in the 80's and I think anyone can respect and connect to humans talking about human experiences like that.

Edited by WhazUp