The Mygnrforum Cover Songs Thread

Musicans of mygnrforum, post covers you've recorded or had videotaped live in here!

A few months ago one of my good friends and I recorded a cover of one of our favorite songs by one of our favorite bands for a sort of "covers contest". The band Trophy Scars asked their fans to cover their favorite song and submit it for a chance to be featured on a compilation album, and apparently they dug ours enough to include it even though the production quality is laughable, we did it in GarageBand using nothing but the piece of shit stock mic on my macbook but what the hell :lol:

I did the guitars, my friend sang.

https://trophyscars.bandcamp.com/track/edward-emmerich-trazodone

Edited by sweetness

• 2 weeks later...

My cover of the pre Appetite version of Sweet Child O' Mine, where that intro plays a much bigger role.

That guitar... Was built in a Surrey, England (my county), and the guy who built it no longer builds guitars due to health reasons.

It's a telecaster/stratocaster hybrid with an acoustic profile neck, I LOVE THIS GUITAR. It's got Aardvark written on the headstock, and that's it, but nonetheless, this guitar is known. :)

If it wasn't for me fucking up on my cover of Rocket Queen, I'd post that too... But like a football player, I study myself playing taking lots of notes. - Same goes for Welcome To The Jungle cover.

My cover of the pre Appetite version of Sweet Child O' Mine, where that intro plays a much bigger role.

That guitar... Was built in a Surrey, England (my county), and the guy who built it no longer builds guitars due to health reasons.

It's a telecaster/stratocaster hybrid with an acoustic profile neck, I LOVE THIS GUITAR. It's got Aardvark written on the headstock, and that's it, but nonetheless, this guitar is known. :)

If it wasn't for me fucking up on my cover of Rocket Queen, I'd post that too... But like a football player, I study myself playing taking lots of notes. - Same goes for Welcome To The Jungle cover.

After lurking over some of your posts, I am amazed you can play like that.

After lurking over some of your posts, I am amazed you can play like that.

After hearing the solo, that's exactly what I expected.

@Snake Pit,

I just watched your video and here is some constructed criticism;

You need to work on your pinky, for most of the video it looks like it is out of place and unconfortable. Your pinky is just as important as the rest of your fingers, you should feel just as comfortable using it as you do your ring finger. I'm not aying you don't use it, but most good guitar players follow the rule of one finger per fret, so if you need to hit a note three frets away from your pointer finger, then the pinky is up. You will develope a lot more speed by following that rule.

Secondly, do you jam with anyone? If not look for someone, it doesn't matter what they play, just find someone else to make music with. Play your own songs, play covers, whatever you want to do. But just do it with others. If you like to make these videos for your own learning purposes, then thats cool. But I wouldn't post them online. Not because I think they are bad, I actually think you have some promising talent. But this isn't going to help you improve much, and imo playing cover songs with backing tracks is kinda boring. But if you play the same song with a band or even just a 2nd guitar player, it becomes that much cooler. I also think it is a lot more productive for your over all skill to try and play your own solos and your own leads. Not that it isn't helpfull learning other peoples licks and tricks, but the key is incorporating them into your own material anyways. The only way you can play the scom solo is while playing scom. It doesn't really mean much on its own, but if you develope your own style, you can play whatever you want. Does that make sense? At least thats what I would do.

But overall, good job. Keep jammin'

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

That singer in your band kicks major ass! :headbang:
I think that's the Guitar Hero II track minus guitars.

Snake-pit: Good job man, but the intro seems like you got lost and the timing got a bit off, especially towards the end

• 6 months later...

I still have a lot to do.

I'd say yesterday I knew like 50% of Sweet Child O' Mine

Now I'd say that's more or less like 60% of.

November Rain - I'm fast tracking this.

Last week I was @ 40% and the week before that, 10% then a catalyst happened and now I'm @ like 80% 90%/ish... Maybe 70% done. IDK, still learning.

It's just a coincidence that that happened with a current learn of mine anyways.

Edited by Snake-Pit

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...