If Axl takes DJ so much in consideration, shouldn't we?

I created this topic a while ago and it got deleted. I don't know what mod did it, but I know he thought I was trolling. This is not a trolling thread and I think it's an important discussion and I would like if it remained open. Thanks in advance.

Well, I don't know if Axl is a genius. He has brilliant moments as a songwriter, as a singer, as a frontman, but maybe "genius" is a little too much. I hope he proves me wrong one day, though. But something I'm really confident that Axl is, is a visionary. He and the band killed the 80s hard rock by transcending it with the best album on the genre. Of course, later Nirvana helped burry it very down, but Guns N' Roses opened the way.

Axl saw that grunge and industrial were the next big thing as soon as it popped. He's an artist who can very well see where the wind's gonna blow before it does. He has worked with a series of excellent guitarists: Slash, Buckethead, Robin Finck... And from all of those, it seems that DJ Ashba is the one he likes the most, not just as a friend, but from what it's being said on interviews, even as a musician. If Axl takes him so much in consideration, shouldn't we? After all, one thing we can't deny is that Axl has an hability to gather great musicians to work with.

Edited by ManetsBR

I'm sorry but I disagree. DJ is easily the worst guitarist they have ever had. He tries to imitate Slash (that's why Axl wants him) but he does a piss poor job of doing it. I see no redeeming factors whatsoever in DJ Assba.

Also, why should we trust Axl's decisions in regards to anything that has to do with this "band?"

Edited by SlashisGOD

I created this topic a while ago and it got deleted. I don't know what mod did it, but I know he thought I was trolling. This is not a trolling thread and I think it's an important discussion and I would like if it remained open. Thanks in advance.

Well, I don't know if Axl is a genius. He has brilliant moments as a songwriter, as a singer, as a frontman, but maybe "genius" is a little too much. I hope he proves me wrong one day, though. But something I'm really confident that Axl is, is a visionary. He and the band killed the 80s hard rock by transcending it with the best album on the genre. Of course, later Nirvana helped burry it very down, but Guns N' Roses opened the way.

Axl saw that grunge and industrial were the next big thing as soon as it popped. He's an artist who can very well see where the wind's gonna blow before it does. He has worked with a series of excellent guitarists: Slash, Buckethead, Robin Finck... And from all of those, it seems that DJ Ashba is the one he likes the most, not just as a friend, but from what it's being said on interviews, even as a musician. If Axl takes him so much in consideration, shouldn't we? After all, one thing we can't deny is that Axl has an hability to gather great musicians to work with.

Your entire argument is based on having your head so far up Axl's ass that he can do no wrong. I mean, fuck, I like the guys work but that doesn't mean we can't have different opinions. And my personal opinion of Ashba is that he's a mediocre at best guitarist as well as a cashgrab poser emo crybaby rockstar wannabe. No matter what Axl thinks of the guy.

To be quite honest my overall opinion of Axl has gone downhill ever since 2008 as well. But that's besides the point.

• Like 2

DJ honestly has more in common with Slash than people give him credit for. The focus on image, the hat, the self-promotion, the social media, the loose playing style live.

You're confused. He just tries to be like Slash way too hard. Edited by username
  • Like 2

I think he likes having people in the band who have a profile with the public and are happy to do endless promotion, meet and greets and also offer some stage presence. Both DJ and Ron do this fairly well (despite Ron's occasional outbursts). Whilst Axl obviously likes to be in charge he doesn't seem to want the limelight other than the moments he is actually on stage singing, I guess this is a big part of why DJ appeals.

Also, he might not be the best guitarist but he does seem to have an ear for something. I'm not at all musical so I'm not sure what I would call it - melody perhaps? I liked his version of Better despite expecting not to, I know many will disagree but I think there is something Axl has spotted in him. I remember Marc saying in a Canter Banter thread that Axl had a knack for seeing a specific talent in a person that he could harness. Admittedly he's taking his time with it if this is the case! :-D

I'm not particularly a DJ fan but I think Manets has a point.

Jesus Christ, guys.

Manets, I actually see where you are coming from and I agree with it to an extent. I'm not a fan of Ashba but I do like the way he plays guitar and I enjoy his on-stage persona. He is trying to mimic Slash, and I do think that is what Axl wants to some extent. He's done with experimenting and he is trying to get back down as close to roots as possible. (i.e. Appetite for Democracy).

Axl seems to like him as a person, they get along. He is the right-hand man that he has always wanted. Axl definitely sees something in him and apparently enjoys working with him in the studio and editing processes from what I can tell.

I wouldn't mind hearing this incarnation of the band do an album, however, with that being said I was hoping GN'R wouldn't get a third guitarist after Finck went bye-bye. I'm content either way, just so long as there is something: a tour, an album, whatever.

But to call DJ Ashba a shitty musician and a shitty person, etc., just seems a little extreme. (I don't know much about him, but from everything I've seen of his work and his person, I don't mind him. I don't adore him, but he seems alright). He seems to be concerned with his brand, but I don't really hate him for that.

Axl would've been better off choosing this person or that person, but for the time being we kinda just have to take what Axl gives us at this point. In a hypothetical world, an album with DJ sounds better to me than no album at all.

• Like 1

This has been bugging me for a while... Imitate Slash ? I always felt Slash being totally one with his guitar, his music, almost oblivious of what's around him, while DJ is always looking at or interacting with the audience. Also, imagine Slash doing Hogan-ears ? Okay, he has a hat and a guitar, but I think that's about the only thing he has in common with Slash.

OT: I'm not musical, but I don't mind DJ playing. Maybe he's a terrible player, but not to my ears. I think it's nice he is positive about GNR though. I mean: he mentions going to rehearsals, having a good time together, on his FB page he puts a link to tickets for the residency etc... I like that. It gives the impression that they're a real band at least. Maybe that's one of the things I miss the most of the old band. They were a real band and GNR wasn't a side-project, or they weren't doing a zillion things besides GNR. Nowadays I get the impression that we (or some of us) spend more time on GNR than the band does.

Guest Len B'stard

This has been bugging me for a while... Imitate Slash ? I always felt Slash being totally one with his guitar, his music, almost oblivious of what's around him

Uh, yeah, I'd hate to shatter a childhood illusion here but he was at one with more than just his music at that point my love :lol: What, you think those blues bends were what was making his eyes roll back in his head? :lol:

This has been bugging me for a while... Imitate Slash ? I always felt Slash being totally one with his guitar, his music, almost oblivious of what's around him

Uh, yeah, I'd hate to shatter a childhood illusion here but he was at one with more than just his music at that point my love :lol: What, you think those blues bends were what was making his eyes roll back in his head? :lol:

Okay, I know, whatever, but you know what I mean... You agree he was oblivious to what was around him, right ? When I think of Slash, I think of that image. DJ... totally different.

Because most of us don't live our lives and form opinions simply based on what Axl Rose does.

We judge events based on common sense, logic and personal opinion. NOT based on what Axl Rose does or wants.

Most of us, anyway.

Happy that Axl likes him and, that he he's possibly inspired by him... but that don't change my opinion on him. Dj is a nice guy from the sound of things but he isn't a great guitar player. Guns have a history of great guitar players, be it feel/rootsy players like slash and Finck (to some extent) or the uber-talented bumblefoots and bucketheads... Dj doesn't fall in the middle of either of those two, he is a mediocre guitar player that is entertaining on stage, he also knows the importance of social media. I don't know what he's going to come up with material wise, but I hope it's not like anything he's released before because what's come before is incredibly bland and generic.

I must stress that I don't hate him, it's just his playing ability or lack of. Don't care about what he wears or what he says I'm just concerned with him playing well.