Matt Sorum Talks Writing With Guns N’ Roses In Mid 90′s & His Future

I recently interviewed former Guns N’ Roses/Velvet Revolver drummer Matt Sorum about his new solo album (under the name Matt Sorum’s Fierce Joy) Stratosphere and his other various projects including Kings of Chaos, Camp Freddy, and Velvet Revolver on our sister siteAlternativeNation.net.

Here is an exclusive Concertfy portion of the interview, where Sorum briefly discussed writing post Use Your Illusions material with Guns N’ Roses in the mid 90′s, “We just did a lot of jamming because the thing about Axl is he never sang on anything until it was completed, so there were never really any vocals. But we had a lot of riffage, we had tons of riffs (laughs).”

Sorum also revealed if he’d be willing to do another high profile band full time at this stage of his life, “If Led Zeppelin needed a drummer I’m available, AC/DC if they needed a drummer I’m available. Big, they’d have to be big (laughs). I’m going to do Kings of Chaos, I’m going to do my solo stuff, I’m going to do my charity work which I love. I’m married now so I’m going to hang out with my wife. I’ve got two French bulldogs, I’m maybe going to produce some stuff. I’m dabbling in movies, I executive produced a film called Sunset Strip: The Movie, it’s on Showtime. So I’m getting into the film world a little bit. I’m getting into the art world, I did a series of art, if you go to MattSorumArt.com, I did all of this interesting art with drumming. I’m dabbling in other ventures, looking for entrepreneurial sort of ideas because as musicians we have to reinvent ourselves, we have to keep moving and keep reinventing.”

Sorum’s solo album Straosphere comes out tomorrow, and you can purchase it on MattSorum.com.

http://www.concertfy.com/exclusive-matt-sorum-talks-writing-with-gnr-in-mid-90s-his-future/

I guess those jamming ended up in Contraband and other previous VR projects the former members had.

I don't think so. Slash, Duff and Matt probably wrote a lot of material during the UYI tour, on soundchecks they'd jam a lot. I heard that around the time they were doing Spaggheti Incident, wich was done while on the road, so recorded in a plethora of studios around Europe, there was already some complete material that they recorded for future release or use. Axl has everything in the vault, and by everything, I really mean everything. Picture this: every show of the UYI Tour was recorded both in Pro Shot and Audio, there's a lot of shows that were recorded the same way from the AFD tour. Alternate takes, different vocals. We only have about 20% of actual recorded material, and Axl has everything in his vault.

Yeah I know about The Vault but Matt seems to be talking about something else. Axl was never around. So there were no vocals. All they had were riffs. It doesn´t look like Axl had his hands on anything that was not complete in order to add lyrics and vocals. Only Slash brought complete songs to the table. And Axl didn´t like most of them. So those ended in his first Snakepit album. So I guess kinda the same happened to those riffs. Fall Into Pieces was something that Axl liked. We can listen that one in Contraband.

I guess those jamming ended up in Contraband and other previous VR projects the former members had.

I don't think so. Slash, Duff and Matt probably wrote a lot of material during the UYI tour, on soundchecks they'd jam a lot. I heard that around the time they were doing Spaggheti Incident, wich was done while on the road, so recorded in a plethora of studios around Europe, there was already some complete material that they recorded for future release or use. Axl has everything in the vault, and by everything, I really mean everything. Picture this: every show of the UYI Tour was recorded both in Pro Shot and Audio, there's a lot of shows that were recorded the same way from the AFD tour. Alternate takes, different vocals. We only have about 20% of actual recorded material, and Axl has everything in his vault.

This just makes me really hope Axl dies soon.