First time hearing the Chinese Democracy demos

robin2002

Hi Marc,

I know there has been quite a few questions regarding the Chinese Democracy era etc, not sure if these specific questions have been asked -

1) The first time you heard the Chinese Democracy demos, what stood out more, was it 'Finally hearing Axls vocals again', or were you listening to the musicianship and thinking 'these guys can really play', or 'This sounds exactly how I imagined it would sound' or the opposite 'Sounds nothing like how I thought GNR would sound in 2000'.

2) There's been various reports of Axl having alot of instrumental stuff, did he just show you songs that had his vocals on them or were there instrumental tracks aswell? Also, was this over a period of time e.g. letting you hear pieces every so often, or was it a good few hours listening extravaganza!

3) Alot has been mention about when high profile people were involved (Bob Ezrin & Roy Thomas Barker etc) - Did Axl ever talk to you about these guys? Was he happy these people were on board or were they an un-necessary distraction?

I thought I had more questions than these, if you do answer (and thank you in advance for doing so) maybe they'll remind me of what the others questions were, again apologies in advance if these questions have been asked/answered in full already.

Cheers.

The first thing I hear was demos with out vocals from 1996 that Zakk was involved in and they sounded good. The next thing that I heard was while I was in the studio. I think it was around 1999. I don't remember if Axl's vocals were on it yet. The next thing I heard was the band live before they played Vegas in 2001 but Axl didn't sing. I was impress with the way Bucket did Nightrain. The Vegas gig in 2001 may have been the first time I heard Axl sing the new stuff.

The songs were good and yes it was great to hear Axl's vocals again.

Axl was happy to work with Bob Ezrin & Roy Thomas Barker and even Tom Z again. I think Axl realized that Tom Z had more to do with AFD production then most people knew.

The next time I heard was sounded like finish songs on tape was in 2006 in Vegas up in Axl's room after the gig the same night Steven was there. All the songs sounded great and Axl sounded incredible. The record was done and was going to be coming out by Nov. I know it for what ever reason took 2 more years but it was done then.

Edited by recklessroad

Thanks for responding Marc, appreciated.

Interesting to hear that there was some demos recorded with Zakk, for some reason I was under the impression they were just jamming.

Also, the recordings you heard in 2006, was it the same mixes that were leaked from Antiquiet (with no additions from BBF and Frank) and was it the same tracks/tracklist as the final album? e.g. We know that Atlas Shrugged was close to being on the album but due to CD length times they couldn't fit it on - The reason I ask this is that it's commonly believed that 'Shacklers Revenge' was a Buckethead tune that Axl never got around to putting vocals on until 2007.

Thanks again Marc.

Edited by robin2002

Who said Buckethead is better than Slash? Buckethead did a good job with Slash's parts at the end of Nightrain and Nov Rain but they are 2 different guitar players. They are also both one of a kind. Slash is who Slash is and no one can top the things that he has done with GNR.

• Like 4

I was asking a question not saying that you said anything. There's no doubt slash is a very talented guitar player but he can't hold a candle to Buckethead, or bumblefoot's skills imo. Plus they're not lying sellouts.

Ughhh :facepalm:

The first thing I hear was demos with out vocals from 1996 that Zakk was involved in and they sounded good. The next thing that I heard was while I was in the studio. I think it was around 1999. I don't remember if Axl's vocals were on it yet. The next thing I heard was the band live before they played Vegas in 2001 but Axl didn't sing. I was impress with the way Bucket did Nightrain. The Vegas gig in 2001 may have been the first time I heard Axl sing the new stuff.

The songs were good and yes it was great to hear Axl's vocals again.

Axl was happy to work with Bob Ezrin & Roy Thomas Barker and even Tom Z again. I think Axl realized that Tom Z had more to do with AFD production then most people knew.

The next time I heard was sounded like finish songs on tape was in 2006 in Vegas up in Axl's room after the gig the same night Steven was there. All the songs sounded great and Axl sounded incredible. The record was done and was going to be coming out by Nov. I know it for what ever reason took 2 more years but it was done then.

Shame it didn't come out that year. Would've probably sold a lot more considering Axl's MTV appearance and the succesful comeback tour they did that year.

I was asking a question not saying that you said anything. There's no doubt slash is a very talented guitar player but he can't hold a candle to Buckethead, or bumblefoot's skills imo. Plus they're not lying sellouts.

This should qualify for a ban in this section.

This should qualify for a ban in this section.

This.

Fortunately, Marc slaughtered him and left him crying on the floor. :lol:

stupid.

thanks for the answers Marc!

Edited by ProstituteComa

sorry if youve answered this question before Marc, do you have a favourite song off Chi Dem??

I like the whole record but the 5 songs that I like the most are

There Was a Time

Better

If the World

Chinese Democracy

Shackler's Revenge

Agreed. I think those and "Prostitute" are definitely the standouts.