In which countries are GNR still held in high regard?

South American countries are probably where they are the most popular, with Brazil a likely no.1. I think in Scandinavia they still have a lot of fans and maybe in Eastern Europe too? How about Asia?

I guess its the English speaking countries where they have lost the most fans?

South America and Asia would be the really big markets, but they are still extremely popular in the UK and France.

Edited by NGOG

They put on 8 arena shows in the UK in 2012. With alot of cities being witin 45 minutes of each other. All were 90% sold out id say. Except the 2nd london date... but it was the 2nd show and a good 10,000+ people there.

All this unsold 3000 capacity theatre shows would be unheard of here.

They will sell tickets worldwide just fine, Axl has the name. But yeah, South America is where the money is. People still fill arenas for 80s rock acts and the term "worship" fits well for those fans.

For example, Gilby Clarke was supposed to play in a very small town close to where I live, so the venue did a little research on facebook: Would you attend a Gilby Clarke (from GNR of course) concert? And people went completely babanas. They don't know a single Gilby song, I'm sure. Same for Paul di Anno and Blaze Bayley (from Iron Maiden). In fact, I'm almost sure they live in Brazil or at least Paul does. It's the only country that still takes him seriously I guess :lol:

South America is nuts for hard rock/metal. For example, I saw Immortal (Norwegian black metal band) in 2010 in Pittsburgh. There was probably 400 people there. They played SA later in the year and there were over 2000 people at the Brazilian show.

It's like that for pretty much every underground or 80s bands.

2010 both London shows sold out. 2012, they sold out 1st night but only about half for 2nd night, was 68% for both nights in 2012 according to Wikipedia.

2010 UAE show, I remember it being pretty packed. 2013, there was a decent turnout, but there were twice as many people at the same venue a month later for Metallica.

I'm surprised Buenos Aires hasn't sold out for this year, it's about a 3rd of the price of a lot of the Brazilian shows.

I think they've overdone it a bit with the touring in recent years so it hasn't been quite as profitable, and the lack of new releases hurts, too.

But I'm still going this year :P And hopefully we'll get a new release by year's end, otherwise I can't see a European tour bringing in decent sales.

Almost everywhere but the U.S, I mean they didn't sell out everywhere on the last run but they did pretty good considering they weren't promoting anything. I think they could probably get back into a good place in America if they put a decent album out... let's call it a more "traditional" album.

They didn't sell out the last gig I was at, maybe 9,000 out of 15000 in the dublin o2 (great gig though, the missing numbers were casual fans that refused to go again because of 2010).

Strong album, good promotion, a good live broadcast (maybe not the best time to mention a live broadcast)... all of those things would greatly improve GnRs credibility with on-the-fence fans.

If we know anything from Spinal Tap, it's that all washed-up hair-metal bands have a home in Japan :P

It's either Japan or Brazil. GNR can still be considered a stadium band in those two countries. Europe they're likely still an arena band. In North America, GNR seems to have problems selling out even the smaller club dates.

Edited by downzy

They put up big numbers in India (pretty sure they set a record there for one of the gigs a few years back).

I think they also put some decent numbers in Malaysia too. Of course Central and South America. I'm of course mainly referring to concert stats, but that's always a good indicator.

They put up big numbers in India (pretty sure they set a record there for one of the gigs a few years back).

I think they also put some decent numbers in Malaysia too. Of course Central and South America. I'm of course mainly referring to concert stats, but that's always a good indicator.

I think the big numbers in places like India and Malaysia can be explained by the fact that almost no band plays in those places. Regions that do get regular visits by large bands are probably better indicators of a band's popularity. I would think that both Japan and countries in South America are frequent stops for most large bands these days.

• Like 1

In most, GnR are still one of the biggest draws in the 'rock' world, no amount of butthurt can change that.

What do you mean by "butthurt"?

Sex in the ass. You may have felt an uncomfortable feeling in your rectum when the vegas DVD was cancelled this week... well that was slash, raping fans like you and me.

• Like 2