How do you think the average person would perceive Axl's voice?

Public reactions  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was surprised my dad and friends thought he put on a good show in 2013 :shrugs: I think a lot of people can't tell at the show with all the pyro and guitars and lights.

YouTube is a different matter, though, just look at the comments under videos from Rio '11 onwards.

I show fat Axl videos to my friends all the time. Every time I do, they spontaneously drop what they're doing and burst into choreographed dance.

Why am I out of likes :( I have so much love to give.

Axl subsists on nostalgia. When people go to his concerts, they're hearing AFD and UYI Axl in their minds, no matter how badly Axl performs.

To a person who has never heard GNR or Axl ever befor, I imagine he must sound rather ridiculous in his current state.

YouTube is a different matter, though, just look at the comments under videos from Rio '11 onwards.

Most of my videos from 2012-13 have pretty positive comments. I think I may have seen them at their best through that period. End of the A4D run -> Australian Leg in early 2013.

Most of my videos from 2012-13 have pretty positive comments. I think I may have seen them at their best through that period. End of the A4D run -> Australian Leg in early 2013.

I agree HV. I showed a few people some video's of the Newcastle show I went to, and they all thought it was ok for a live performance.

I got a few positive comments on WTTJ and TIL for my 2013 Abu Dhabi videos. But the users who left them usually fell into the South American hardcore fan group, and I also only took videos of songs where I knew he wouldn't sound awful (i.e. skipping YCBM, Nightrain).

i showed my dad a couple videos. my dad is a big gnr fan but hasn't really followed gnr(outside of liking 1 or 2 CD songs) after the original band collapsed. his initial response was "wow, he sounds like shit" followed by "what the fuck happened" and ended with " he needs to fucking quit"

To be honest, Axl's voice, even in his prime, was always quite shocking to the average person. For me, it's very much an acquired taste. I remember early on, hearing the live version of LALT on the Don't cry CD single and thinking: "Wow, what the fuck is that." (But in French. I'm French.)

The vast majority of people that go to the shows enjoy the experience the current line-up provides - fact.

It's only semi-serious GNR fans that actually consider the quality of Axl's voice.

Even in the past many people hated his voice. He had this voice 'you love or hate'.

Anyway, I took a friend who wasn't a gnr fan with me in 2012. She was actually impressed by his voice. Guess if you don't compare him with how he used to sing, it's less bad. For most fans it's getting more and more disapointing tough.

From any of the 5 shows I've been to since 2002, I've never heard anyone complain about his voice (or the setlist). I've been with 2 different friends and my girlfriend twice. They thought he sounded great. Granted, one of those shows was 2010. Her dad came with us to a show in 2012. He's not even a big GNR fan (he knew Live and Let Die...), but said it was awesome.

So, from my small sampling of the "general public," they don't seem to give a shit, or even notice, that he doesn't scream like he did 25 years ago.