Biggest wastes of talent

bacardimayne

Who do you think are some of the biggest wastes of talent to grace the music industry?

I nominate Steven Tyler. The guy might just have the greatest voice of all time, but what has he done with it? A bunch of god-awful Aerosmith albums with one of the worst guitarists in the business. Why oh why didn't this guy hook up with decent musicians? :(

And before anyone says Axl, at least he put out three good-great albums. Tyler, at best, has a handful of good songs. Damn shame.

In the untimely death category...John Bonham, Jimi Hendrix and Duane Allman. Would love to hear what those guys would have done if they had lived longer.

Yeah, but I wouldn't call them a waste of talent. At least not Bonham since he accomplished so much. I'd like to have seen Jimi and Duane evolve more

Jeff Buckley with one album in like 8 years and then he past. The guy made a great album and just like that he's gone.

I was going to post this too, Grace is such a damn good album. Shame that we never got to see him truly evolve and experiment.

Michael Jackson pissed away the last ten years of his life, strung out most of the time on prescription drugs which I swear was responsible for half the weird shit he did.

Although I don't think you could say he wasted his talent for the first 40 years of his life as he has one of the most impressive back catalogues of any artist. Just a shame about the last decade.

• Like 1

Who do you think are some of the biggest wastes of talent to grace the music industry?

I nominate Steven Tyler. The guy might just have the greatest voice of all time, but what has he done with it? A bunch of god-awful Aerosmith albums with one of the worst guitarists in the business. Why oh why didn't this guy hook up with decent musicians? :(

And before anyone says Axl, at least he put out three good-great albums. Tyler, at best, has a handful of good songs. Damn shame.

Another one I'd nominate is Robin Finck. He REALLY needs to get more studio material out.

Aerosmith is awful but Robin Finck is good? LooooooL!

• Like 2

Jimi Hendrix

Is it though? I mean we might have missed out on some great stuff but surely putting out three great albums, one of which is considered one of the best debut/guitar albums of all time and being considered the GOAT on six strings is one hard legacy to top especially on the last point. It's like The Beatles. Yeah they could have stuck together and extra five years and pumped a couple more albums that fill the high rungs of those critics lists, but they achieved everything you possibly needed to and their legacy was cemented.

I'm not going to count death as waste of talent. It sort of is, but it's worse when someone CAN create amazing things and just... doesn't.

Axl Rose (for all obvious reasons)

Are we sure it's a waste of talent? Maybe we just overrated him. Probably we just overrated him. A lot.
No it's a waste.

1. Because he's chosen to be a complete dick.

2. Because Axl Rose stopped wanting to be Axl Rose and wanted to be everyone who was cool and not called Axl Rose.

Guest Len B'stard
Is it though? I mean we might have missed out on some great stuff but surely putting out three great albums, one of which is considered one of the best debut/guitar albums of all time and being considered the GOAT on six strings is one hard legacy to top especially on the last point. It's like The Beatles. Yeah they could have stuck together and extra five years and pumped a couple more albums that fill the high rungs of those critics lists, but they achieved everything you possibly needed to and their legacy was cemented.

I just really really REALLY love that guy...he's one of the few people that, God, i just can't fathom what he would be doing now, he was just so prodigious, it's mind blowing...perhaps he would've just not given a fuck and spunk it all away but...i dunno, i just feel like there was just so much more....y'know, we could have a Dylan-like back catalogue from this guy right now...and all cuz he was pillin' and mixing wine and piss and its just like...of all the fuckin' ways a genius like that could've gone out...and it had to be like that, on his back chokin' on his puke, left to die cuz some tart was burying solid in the flowerbed...it's just not right :no:

Another one I'd nominate is Robin Finck. He REALLY needs to get more studio material out.

Aerosmith is awful but Robin Finck is good? LooooooL!

Any band that isn't even ashamed of hiring and crediting external songwriters is shit.