If you were granted a private one on one audience with W.Axl Rose, what would you say/do?

If you had 5 minutes alone in person (not some lame filtered chat) with Axl free of the distractions of Dj Ashba's #SWAG and with no appearances by Team Brazil, what would you say to the man? Would you let him know he inspired you? Would you tell him he's given you hours of happiness? Would you dare to ask him about Slash and a reunion or unreleased songs?

Or would you go full-ALI and attempt to get /Jarmo's position in the camp. Maybe we have some lawyers/business/entertainment professionals who can help Axl to regain world domination. Would you lick his sack with kind nut-swinging words as so many on here do and hope for party passes

Would some of our younger posters have the balls to Gn'R-educate Axl even though they were barely around back in the day&have learned the Gn'R story through revisionist history.

So my fellow Gunners. What would you do during those five minutes. Keep in mind, do not be afraid. If Axl hits a fan then you can sue and maybe get an unreleased song as part of the settlement. If this topic isn't cool we can go back to bitching about how fat a 52 year old man is and how bad he sounds on shitty youtube videos made by out of tune screaming Brazilians who have the best of intentions.

Edited by xGNRxSTARx

Thank him for making music I've enjoyed and be done with it. It's not like anything I say is going to convince him to lose weight and improve himself, so why bother?

This.. It's his life he can do watever the f he wants makes no difference to me, I can only hope he wants to make some music one day that will reach my ears lol.. O and I'd buy him a round

Think I'd thank him for the music firstly and then just try and have a conversation, I really doubt he wants to talk about his own music or go into detail about recording Dead horse in 91. Maybe once you had him going, he might open up a bit and let you sneak a question in about GnR. To be honest It's weird meeting a famous person as you always feel like you're intruding, I see guys and gals at Guns shows and they really believe they are best buds with the band and Axl but in reality these people appreciate you but they have their own real significant friends at home.

The honest answer is, I'd be so star struck I wouldn't be able to say anything, the above is the way i'd like to approach a 'chance' encounter (don't want to have to pay to meet him, or wait until he leaves the venue).

If I had millions of dollars to spare, I would offer to release the Chinese Democracy Trilogy as originally planned, with a boxset with alternates (i.e. Beavan mixes) and liner notes from Axl on the songs.

But I'd give him a deadline of a year to release it. If not, I'd withdraw the offer.

Chinese Democracy was the album that made me a fan, and I want to hear the rest of it. When I see interviews with Axl before the album was released, I know the project was something he cared about greatly. Its commercial failure seems to have been one of the greatest upsets of his life. He's made it clear in the past he didn't envision playing the same setlist for years on end. Jarmo and Ali and whoever can say he's giving the fans what they want, but that's just a circular argument. You honestly think if a new song was released, and it was a hit, that people wouldn't want to hear it? If you keep going with that "people just go for old songs" attitude, that's all you're ever going to get.

When I got 10 seconds or whatever to speak to him in Glasgow (why'd you not check if the sound was on, Gordon! :P ), I told him Chinese Democracy was the album that made me a fan. Even he seemed surprised, guess he thought I was just sucking up or taking the piss. He honestly seems like he doesn't want to talk about Chinese any more, or have fans ask about songs like Atlas Shrugged and The General. It does really upset me.

I'll be honest, I'd love Jarmo's job. Dude gets to follow my favorite band in the world on tour.

In 2010? Sure. But why on earth would you want to follow the 2013-4 shows? Wouldn't you get tired of seeing the same setlist sang over and over again with diminishing enthusiasm and ability?

• Like 3

I'd be pretty happy. I would thank him for the memories and music, ask for some cool stories, and maybe talk about music or whatever. I think it would be appropriate to ask what the unreleased songs are like, and if he is interested to keep going with that.

No point in asking about his weight, Ashba swag, his voice, him giving a fuck, slash, and all that shit. It'd be a 5 minute meeting and I have nothing to do with his personal or business life.

Bitching about those things are why I have you guys :awesomeface:

Edited by ZoSoRose

I'd say thank you, talk about Queen, Thin Lizzy etc, ask about some song meanings, share with him some of the GNR moments and songs that have meant the most to me and why. Overall I would just be friendly and polite and encouraging :).

If I had millions of dollars to spare, I would offer to release the Chinese Democracy Trilogy as originally planned, with a boxset with alternates (i.e. Beavan mixes) and liner notes from Axl on the songs.

But I'd give him a deadline of a year to release it. If not, I'd withdraw the offer.

Chinese Democracy was the album that made me a fan, and I want to hear the rest of it. When I see interviews with Axl before the album was released, I know the project was something he cared about greatly. Its commercial failure seems to have been one of the greatest upsets of his life. He's made it clear in the past he didn't envision playing the same setlist for years on end. Jarmo and Ali and whoever can say he's giving the fans what they want, but that's just a circular argument. You honestly think if a new song was released, and it was a hit, that people wouldn't want to hear it? If you keep going with that "people just go for old songs" attitude, that's all you're ever going to get.

When I got 10 seconds or whatever to speak to him in Glasgow (why'd you not check if the sound was on, Gordon! :P ), I told him Chinese Democracy was the album that made me a fan. Even he seemed surprised, guess he thought I was just sucking up or taking the piss. He honestly seems like he doesn't want to talk about Chinese any more, or have fans ask about songs like Atlas Shrugged and The General. It does really upset me.

I'll be honest, I'd love Jarmo's job. Dude gets to follow my favorite band in the world on tour.

In 2010? Sure. But why on earth would you want to follow the 2013-4 shows? Wouldn't you get tired of seeing the same setlist sang over and over again with diminishing enthusiasm and ability?

Good post, Ali. Its weird though, he seemed so enthusiastic about the album when he came on here in 08 and even during the interviews in 09. The album was out by the time those things happened. I defiantly see the decline in enthusiasm, though, and do think its reception in the public really affected him. Its too bad, the music is great and I do hope we get the rest one day.

And I would still love to follow the band. The shows may get old but I want to see the world!

Good post, Ali. Its weird though, he seemed so enthusiastic about the album when he came on here in 08 and even during the interviews in 09. The album was out by the time those things happened. I defiantly see the decline in enthusiasm, though, and do think its reception in the public really affected him. Its too bad, the music is great and I do hope we get the rest one day.

And I would still love to follow the band. The shows may get old but I want to see the world!

It's Amir, not Ali :max:

Ali is my dad's name :lol:

It's Amir, not Ali :max:

Ali is my dad's name :lol:

Fuck, I was just reading Ali's post in the update thread. Sorry, man I am quite tired! I know you are Amir! :lol:

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

Don't shit on 14 just yet, it just started. I've got faith it'll improve and even if it doesn't, it's still a hell of a show that I'd have zero problems with watching a million times from the best seat in the house.

• Like 1

Don't shit on 14 just yet, it just started. I've got faith it'll improve and even if it doesn't, it's still a hell of a show that I'd have zero problems with watching a million times from the best seat in the house.

You don't miraculously get fit in the span of a few weeks, though. 2013 wasn't hot shit, either, even compared to 2012 which was a big drop from 2010. I feel like an idiot for buying a ticket to a show this year and expecting Axl to make an effort. There are tons of great artists out there, many of whom who give their fans something different from show to show while still playing the hits, why go see CD/WTTJ/ISE/Mr Brownstone for the bazillionth time? I love GNR, but variety is the spice of life. I've seen GNR 12 times since 2010, and saw Bruce Springsteen 3 times last year. I got more songs in 3 shows from Springsteen than 12 shows from GNR. 12 shows, and I still haven't heard my favourite song and a fan favourite, TWAT. The 5 shows I saw in 2010 had a decent amount of variety, and in 2012 I got to hear Civil War, Estranged, and 14 Years, which was great. Even got Dead Flowers at a couple of shows, but Axl's voice was shot for that song in particular. If you want to watch the same show be performed to an abysmal standard time and time again, fine, it's your life, not mine. Do you think Jarmo would be raving about each show if he was paying out of pocket for each one, and the flights as well? When was the last time you reckon he paid for anything? He neither knows nor cares what an insult it is to fans to pay for this crap.

I think the Golden Gods might prove to be a line in the sand. Depending how well it goes could majorly improve or rapidly decimate enthusiasm for the rest of the year.
  • Like 1

I'd spend the 5 minutes snorting and drinking as much of his good shit as I could, like Axl is gonna take advice from me.

He'd probably be off giving Gia one anyways, so maybe I could make off with the bag.

Edited by DR DOOM

Amir, have you actually seen him look uncomfortable when asked about the unreleased stuff? If so that's really tragic.

Given that back when Bucket was first on board Axl really wanted to bury the old band in as much building a new legacy around a new band and new music and only throwing in a handful of hits, you have to wonder to what extent he's completely depressed about how it's turned out.

And I wonder when was the last time he actually started writing and working on and recording a new song himself. I wouldn't be surprised if he hadn't written or started a new song since Bucket left in 2004.

Amir, have you actually seen him look uncomfortable when asked about the unreleased stuff? If so that's really tragic.

It's one of those things he's pretty evasive about these days. I think years of talking about music that he never got to release took its toll on him. In the Dec '08 chats, he seems pretty excited about the unreleased material. In the Feb '09 "interview" with Del James, he blasts people asking for new music as "the same idiots", though does divulge a tidbit about Finck solo:

Q.When's the next album?

A.Have no idea and don't care. Hopefully, we'll be working 'Chinese' for a good bit. Of course there's the same idiots that have been around forever already demanding release dates.

Q. How much material is there?

A. Not as much as Baz [sebastian Bach] thinks he heard! Really, it doesn't matter. If things go well enough, we'd like to get another out at some point in our lifetimes.

Q. Is anything finished?

A. Depends how you look at it.

Q. How do you look at it?

A. Not something we've focused on.

Q. You're not saying much.

A. You got that? What I can say is if you don't like this, then you probably won't like that. Same people, lots more approaches, bit meaner in places and darker in some. Robin does a really great Stevie Ray Vaughan-type solo on one track.

I've only briefly met him twice. Once was after L'Arc, and I don't think I even asked him anything, but I do remember one fan asking about new music and he said "We've just got to figure out what our deal with the label is." That was September 2010, so that fits with MSL's theory that Axl wanted to release the follow-up album around Aug/Sep 2010.

When I showed Bumble my "AXL - CALL THE NEXT ALBUM IRANIAN DEMOCRACY" sign before the Serbia show, he said that probably wasn't a good idea. He seemed to be half-joking, but I also got the impression that Axl didn't want anybody mentioning a new album. I could be wrong, I don't know. He did mention new music again before the Vegas shows in this interview from October 2012:

"All the guys are writing, and we recorded a lot of songs over the years. We'll figure out what we feel best about. Chinese was done in piecemeal with one person here and one there at different times. Appetite for Destruction was the only thing written with lyrics and melody fitting the guitar parts at the same time. After that, I got a barrage of guitar songs that I was supposed to put words to, and I don't know if that was the best thing for Guns. I do want to lean more toward lyrics and melody."

So it sounds like the hypothetical follow-up would be a mix of unreleased ChiDem era stuff (with Ashba and Bumble overdubs) and new music, the latter of which according to Bumble hasn't been written (though Baz said before Rio '11 he heard a demo of an Axl/DJ song).

But it's 2014 now. I just get the impression Axl would get pissed if a fan brought it up. I don't think Axl's stupid, and I don't think he buys into all the crap that Jarmo/TB tell him about the fans loving that he plays the same material over and over again, but I think he's had enough of years of trying to release this music, with one album of it already being met with a less-than-favourable reception.

• Like 1