Metallica Medley Tribute to Dio + Corey Taylor cover of Rainbow in the Dark

Amir

I'm only as far as Stargazer, but I'm pretty unimpressed. Hetfield doesn't have the voice to do Dio, plain and simple. Lars doesn't catch any of the little nuances in Cozy's drumming. On top of all that, it just feels a little...simplistic for Metallica.

Joey's played me Anthrax's version of Neon Knights...that is gonna be the highlight of this tribute album, I'm positive. They fucking nail it, and if anyone is suited to cover Dio, it's Joey.

It's from an album that's a tribute to Dio's career, so yeah there's some Rainbow in there.

I'm only as far as Stargazer, but I'm pretty unimpressed. Hetfield doesn't have the voice to do Dio, plain and simple. Lars doesn't catch any of the little nuances in Cozy's drumming. On top of all that, it just feels a little...simplistic for Metallica.

Yeah, I don't really see the point of this cover. I love their covers of Whiskey in the Jar, Turn the Page, When a Blind Man Cries, but Hetfield just doesn't suit Dio/Rainbow.

Hetfield's inability to hit certain notes (well, most of them, actually) makes me cringe.

But other than that I like it, thankfully I was introduced to the joys of hard rock via Rainbow and Deep Purple.

So, thank you, Ritchie! Thank you, Ronnie! Your songs still kick ass!

P. S. What I really like about this record is the way it sounds as opposed to Death Magnetic. But I guess we cannot afford ourselves the luxury of hoping that their next record won't be as fucked up.

Edited by Scumcat Esq.

It's neat, I'll give it that. But if anything, it just shows how unbelievable Rainbow really was. At the end of the day, it's not going to be easy to cover any Rainbow track, let alone four. So I'll give them some credit for that.

I remember when I heard Dream Theater's cover of Stargazer and I was really excited to hear it. But it just didn't have the subtleties that Rainbow have sprinkled throughout their songs. At that point, you kinda realize how special Rainbow really was, and is, today.

• Like 1

Jesus Christ! That's the best they've sounded in years!

They certainly put the Metallica stamp on a great tribute!

Tap into that vein next time you're in the studio guys.

I'd love to see them them do this tribute live, would be cool.

I dug it.

• Like 1

Really? You heard this from a couple of years ago?

I thought this was one of their best covers, 3rd after Whiskey in the Jar and Turn the Page.

Really? You heard this from a couple of years ago?

I thought this was one of their best covers, 3rd after Whiskey in the Jar and Turn the Page.

I'm not really talking about what their best cover is or isn't. I just think with the Dio tribute they tapped into that once-upon-a- time Metallica vibe that initially put them on the map.

To me they sounded like they were giving one hell of a nod to an influence that got them into music and wanting to be in a band in the first place.

I thought they sounded great and fuckin rocked it.

Lords of Summer sounds like they want to go back to that kind of Ride the Lightning material, albeit a bit rough currently in its demo state. I liked Death Magnetic enough, didn't blow me away and it was horribly brickwalled, but it was enjoyable overall. I don't know if they have the hunger in them to produce material that is on the level of Ride the Lightning as opposed to just aping it, though.

Edited by Amir

Wasn't Halestorm involved in this project too? I'd love to hear Lzzy pull out some Dio.

they did straight through the heart from the holy diver album

i absolutely love rainbow, it still sucks the dio/blackmore duo only lasted 3 albums but they are special,special albums that are still great to this day. it really isnt a surprise metallica picked rainbow songs since one of lar's first concert experiences was a rainbow concert in denmark in the 70's.

as for the cover, i know i give metallica a lot of shit and the thought of them doing these covers made me cringe for the longest time. i think these covers are really well done to be honest, yeah james cannot hit certain notes, but i really enjoyed them. the kill the king cover is the best metallica has sounded in years to be honest. i think this and the mercyful fate medley they did years ago are great, great covers.

Edited by bran
  • Like 2

Gah, I won't have access to speakers for another week. Big Rainbow/early Dio fan, so I've surmised from this thread that Kill The King and Stargazer are covered, what are the other two tracks?

And if Lars doesn't do the little fill that Cozy did at the end of each KTK verse-phrase, I will be pissed.

Gah, I won't have access to speakers for another week. Big Rainbow/early Dio fan, so I've surmised from this thread that Kill The King and Stargazer are covered, what are the other two tracks?

And if Lars doesn't do the little fill that Cozy did at the end of each KTK verse-phrase, I will be pissed.

A Light In The Black (Intro) -> Tarot Woman -> Stargazer -> Kill The King -> A Light In The Black (Outro). Whole thing is about 9 mins.

• Like 1

i think corey taylor has all the talent in the world i would love to hear him in a good band.

Yeah, I'm not the biggest Slipknot/Stone Sour fan but I was so excited when I heard he was trying out for VR, he's got a great voice. Dunno why Slash was against it, part of me thinks it might be because he thought Corey might overshadow him in the band. I like Myles but he just doesn't have the power or stage presence that Corey has, and he seems happier to play second fiddle to Slash than Corey might have been.

• Like 1