Wu-Tang Clan releasing a single copy of an album you can only hear at museums

Nobodys_Fault

Is Raekwon part of this album?

So they're releasing 2 new albums this year?

Yeah, A Better Tommorow is still scheduled to be released later this year. This one is already finished and is lying in a vault somewhere in Morocco. The entire clan is on it plus Redman and "FC Barcelona soccer players". :lol:

Cool. When was it recorded? Why Morocco?

The project began about five years ago apparently. The artist who designed the box it's being kept in(Yahya) is British-Moroccan so I'm assuming that's why Morroco.

• Like 1

Is Raekwon part of this album?

So they're releasing 2 new albums this year?

Yeah, A Better Tommorow is still scheduled to be released later this year. This one is already finished and is lying in a vault somewhere in Morocco. The entire clan is on it plus Redman and "FC Barcelona soccer players". :lol:

Cool. When was it recorded? Why Morocco?

The project began about five years ago apparently. The artist who designed the box it's being kept in(Yahya) is British-Moroccan so I'm assuming that's why Morroco.

I hope they find a few ODB unheard verses to fit in.

Maybe some uptight guy who has no idea about Wu will listen to it and the first thing they hear is some classic Dirt talking some insane shit. Yo, killa beez about to get in ya asshole, n*gga, Dirt and Wu gonna cut some fuckin heads off! Cuz we cccccrrrrraaaaaazzzzyyyyyyy

Anybody else I would say this is kind of weird, but with Wu, I think it fits fine in the Shaolin lore.

Edited by J Dog

Guest Len B'stard

Maybe some uptight guy who has no idea about Wu will listen to it and the first thing they hear is some classic Dirt talking some insane shit. Yo, killa beez about to get in ya asshole, n*gga, Dirt and Wu gonna cut some fuckin heads off! Cuz we cccccrrrrraaaaaazzzzyyyyyyy

Anybody else I would say this is kind of weird, but with Wu, I think it fits fine in the Shaolin lore.

Thank you, see, someone gets it, agreed a bajillion times with the gentleman here, yes, thank you, couldn't've said it better!

• Like 1

They know once the museum tour is over it will leak. Hell they will probably release it themselves after that. This is about the legend of the Wu, the mystery of shadow boxin, the 13th chamber, the art of tiger style, gods and liquid swords. Not about leaking/piracy.

They know once the museum tour is over it will leak. Hell they will probably release it themselves after that. This is about the legend of the Wu, the mystery of shadow boxin, the 13th chamber, the art of tiger style, gods and liquid swords. Not about leaking/piracy.

I agree their focus isn't combatting leaking and piracy, but it is part of it. Their idea is about music being devalued because it is so readily available. The exclusivity of the album is what will drive up the value. It's extremely similar to how art is sold. There's only one original copy. Sure you can buy prints of Picasso and Basquiat online just like you will likely be able to eventually download the album, but it won't be the original.

It is a new approach to the devaluation of music, which is far better than the music industry's method of suing the shit out of people who enjoy it.

Super pretentious.

It would be different if they gave it a worldwide release sometime later though.

Honestly I bet there are clever people out there right now hatching a plan to record and leak the album. No way they can keep it under lock and key in the digital age.

Guest Len B'stard

I feel like if this was any other band Lenny you'd be raggin on their shit :lol:

It's the Wu Tang man, not a lost Beatles record.

Don't be saying the Wu's name offhand like that, like it's some kinda Mickey Mouse thing :lol:

The Wu are beyond phenomenal, they are just absolutely fucking perfect, for as long as we live we will not a see a collective like that. First of all just straight ahead musically, how the fuck can you have many fuckin' legends, so many prodigiously talented people, all of whom can stand on their own and make serious fuckin' noise, there is no dead-weight in The Wu, you have RZA, whoose just a musical genius as a producer and can rhyme his fuckin' arse off, it's just an embarassment of riches, fuck, Ghost-deini, is there any question about Tony Starks, really? Is there any question about his style, how he's totally unique stream of conciousness street rap mixed with that 70s soul style...and then The Chef, who to me is like the fuckin' equaliser, one of the fuckin' forebearers of mafioso rap, that whole style...then Meth', Meth' on his own is like a cross-over success legend, whereas Ghost-deini and The Chef are like...legends but within a really strictly purist street hip hop level, Meth' is just perfect, he's perfectly street, he's got one of the nicest flows i ever heard, period, he balances street credibility with that kinda star factor to where he can just cross boundaries.

Then Dirt Dog who i refuse to even fuckin' like...praise and sing up cuz you should ALL know about Dirt McGirt, a true fuckin' original, you couldn't fuckin' dream up Dirt Dog, he was/is/will always be a fuckin' deity. And then Deck, where the fuck did Deck come from, what planet is Deck from?!?! Deck has been in the game 20 years now and it's evolved and risen but you stick him up against any of these fuckin' MCs nowadays and he's taking their fuckin' chains home, all these fuckin' Joe Buddens and all these fuckin' pill popping, blogging slouches and he'll eat em.

Baby U, Masta Killa, with that boom bap old school style, fuckin' GZA, that boys flow is so sick but at the same time it's got that really measured delivery, it's deceptive, again, one of the sickest, I mean this is a 5 mic character we're talking about, back when Dave Mays weren't sellin' em.

There is no slouching under the Wu name, fuck, RZA used to make beats, the hottest beats in the industry and if there was a disagreement over who was getting which beat he made them battle for it...imagine that :lol: Christ I'd've loved to be a fly on the wall for that shit. Kinda got a chance to be with Meth vs Chef.

And then like, in terms of the industry, these guys sign a record deal with Loud and at the same time negotiate their shit to where they ALL got their own solo deals too, you know how fuckin' unprecedented that is in the industry? And then for all those kids to release albums and each one, individually, or rather the majority of em anyway, just fuckin' drop hip hop classics, as a testament to their fuckin' talent, we're talkin' like 5 mic albums, Liquid Swords, Cuban Linx, Ironman, Tical, Return to the 36 Chambers.

They were the first to diversify into the clothing thing and look, here we are 20 years later and their shit is being sold in malls all across the fuckin' world, remember we're talking about people from some fuckin' rathole projects in NYC here.

And then on that street shit, who could fuck with the Wu Tang? Joe Buddens tried to get cute with Meth' on Shade 45 or Hot 97 I can't remember which and had Meth' come on fuming...two days later he gets socked in the fuckin' face and is off making youtube videos with a fuckin' icepack on his eye like a bitch. Any Wu Tang beef gets dealt with correctly, every time, no one wants to see these motherfuckers cuz they know what they're about when it comes to that. Starks broke Mases jaw over some disrespect one time.

And the sheer fuckin' intelligence that goes into making that music, for RZAs wizardry to the subject matters they touch upon, for street kids utilising a street art form that a lot of people have criticised for being kinda thick these guys are rhyming about chess, about God, about love, about 1930s literature, about history, about politics, about honour and loyalty, about religion, about faith...Wu's work is deeply religious music, if you know about The 5% Nations of Gods and Earth and supreme mathematics and all that, the shit runs deep and it is unapologetically militant...whilst being one of the most popular groups from the most popular genre of our times.

Honestly I could go on all fuckin' week about the Wu, i gotta cut this shit off somewhere but each thing I'm writing is making a new thing occur to me in their praise, there is nothing on this planet like the Wu, nothing.

Dirty said Wu Tang is for the children and it seemed like the most outlandish thing to say but for my part, having grown up listening to the Wu since i was 11 years old to today, I can honestly say i believe that shit, there's an entire education in this fuckin' discography, there are values and a sense of purpose and a weight of intellect and a design for life in there. Dirty was right, Wu Tang is for the children. The Wu put a marker down in hip hop that nobody has even approached equaling nevermind surpassing. Not even vaguely.

Edited by sugaraylen
  • Like 4

That's a great post len.

I think if you're not really that into hip-hop then it's quite easy to dismiss the Wu-Tang clan as just a silly overblown gangster rap collective. But Len is right - there is nothing like the Wu-Tang Clan. I mean, if you think about how they recorded that debut, they just packed a small cramped box with talent and let 36 chambers happen. Thanks to a shitty budget they had to record it in this tiny studio packing 8/9 people in at once... RZA actually forced the members to battle each other to decide who got to appear on certain songs(one battle became Meth vs Chef). It's an environment in which they brought the best out of each other musically and came up with something completely unique and unusual. The bizarre, unpolished nature of it let the charisma of each member shine through. People (surprisingly) bought it and the landscape of the genre changed entirely.

The content itself is dark and violent but there's an underpinning philosophy running deep through it that's easy to miss on first listen. The idea of 'Supreme Mathematics' - that there is divinity in the numbers and the key to understanding the universe lies somwhere therein. The Five Percent Nation philosophy existed long before the Clan (Rakim, Big Daddy Kane) but they were much more explicit in their affiliation. Indeed some of the greatest music hip-hop has ever produced was created by guys who bought into this philosophy - Wu-Tang Clan, Brand Nubian, Nas, Public Enemy, Jay Electronica. A lot of the slang has its roots here too - "sup G'" originally meant "sup God" not "gangster", deriving from the Five Percent belief that each man was himself God personified.

Word is bond

Represent

Droppin science

Peace

Now the problem I have with this particular venture is a simple one. If a musician makes a conscious effort to have their music heard by the least amount of people possible then I can't help but come to the conclusion that it is not worth hearing. Even if they did manage to pull this off, and somebody buys it for millions, then that is an achievement in marketing and PR - not music.

• Like 1

Guest Len B'stard
"sup G'" originally meant "sup God" not "gangster"

I remember back in the early days when people did lyric sheet write ups all these people that ain't all that clued up would type it out like 'whattup Gah?' :lol: Rakim and them were 5 percenter too, spot on, lots and lots and lots of his stuff is about 5 percenter philosophy, even from early stuff like Move the Crowd 'I'ma let my knowledge be born to a perfection/All praise is due to Allah and thats a blessing'. And all of that slang where places in New York are given names like Medina (Brooklyn), or Mecca (Harlem). Really 5 percent philosophy and influence permeates NYC hip hop, it's a militant-ness that was always there in hip hop, through Afrika Bambaataa, or even earlier with The Last Poets. I think hip hop has suffered from losing that.

Hows this though, for an example of how The Wu have infiltrated culture, in this interview with RZA, i can't remember specifically what was said but apparently in NYC the cop cars have some kinda saying on em, Protect and Serve and all that but not that or not exactly that and in Staten Island the cop cars have some kinda shit referencing, oh yeah, i think it was like Shaolins Finest, how cool is that? :lol:

But NF it's gonna get out there man, first of all through museums and secondly like, through leaks or fuckin', i dunno when the guy buys it copies'll get out there. Also word is this could be their last hurrah so, y'know, the idea is to make it something unique.

Edited by sugaraylen

I think people are asking the wrong question, which is why are they doing this. I'm asking why not. I don't look at it as anti piracy or a pr move or selling records, I just think this is some legend of the Wu type shit. If this was Kanye or Dr.Dre, and I love Dre, but my first thoughts would be who the fuck do they think they are. It doesn't fit into their persona. This museum thing fits the Wu persona perfect. We're talking about a group that has based everything on kung fu and shaolin monks. Named themselves after comic book heroes. Hell Ghostface walked around for a year with a homemade championship belt, daring any mc to try and take it from him. This aint your normal music group. They have always had a mystery quality about them totally different from anybody else.Outside the box type shit. Somebody said earlier about a piece of art in a museum, that's probably what's on their mind.

Guest Len B'stard

I think people are asking the wrong question, which is why are they doing this. I'm asking why not. I don't look at it as anti piracy or a pr move or selling records, I just think this is some legend of the Wu type shit. If this was Kanye or Dr.Dre, and I love Dre, but my first thoughts would be who the fuck do they think they are. It doesn't fit into their persona. This museum thing fits the Wu persona perfect. We're talking about a group that has based everything on kung fu and shaolin monks. Named themselves after comic book heroes. Hell Ghostface walked around for a year with a homemade championship belt, daring any mc to try and take it from him. This aint your normal music group. They have always had a mystery quality about them totally different from anybody else.Outside the box type shit. Somebody said earlier about a piece of art in a museum, that's probably what's on their mind.

Did he really, i never knew that :lol: Class!

I love the WU TANG acronym thing too

Witty Unpredictable Talent and Natural Game

and my personal favorite:

We Usually Take All hooray for tolerance!z Garments

:lol: