Guitarists whose pedals need to be taken away from them.

AxlisOld

I will state the first 2 obvious ones.

1.Kirk Hammett (enough bud)

2.Godsmack (you aren't good, stop hiding)

Controversial

3. Steve Vai

EDIT

I changed the title to include all pedals. The reason:

4. Tom Morello

Edited by AxlisOld
  • Like 1

Lol Kirk! I don't want it taken away from him but I love the jokes... I always say he plays wah for an instrument and uses guitar as an effect

It pisses me off when you fall in love with the studio solo and then he just wahs up Fade to Black and ruins it. That isn't to say it can't be used tastefully, the last run of the Bleeding Me solo is orgasmic. But come on, man.

Shit I have the most basic set up possible. I have a vox wah that I use most of the time, mxr phase 90 that i use occasionally, and just good old fashion marshal jcm distortion. I used to have more pedals, but I hate spending an hour troubleshooting cables when something isn't working. Plus I hate dancing around the stage stomping on boxes left and right. Keep it simple I say, just have the ones you can't live without.

Edited by Mike420

Vai can keep all of his, he uses them well. It's all for the song, Petrucci uses a ton of effects too, but it's subtle.

Zakk Wylde though, chorus and wah, chorus and wah, chorus and wah. And the effects are turned to 11 to boot.

Edited by moreblack
  • Like 1

I could slap my dick against the strings and make similar solos to some of Morello's. But because he's the guitar genius and it's calculated and deliberate or whatever, he gets praise. He ruined a bunch of perfectly good Audioslave songs with his solos.

• Like 2

Let's be honest now, there were no perfectly good Audioslave songs. That whole project greatly underdelivered.

I really like Like A Stone, I like the solo too but a more traditional one would have been fine

Anyways, I just have a 535q and my amp. My rig is stupid simple, but once I get a nice amp I'll get a nice overdrive, delay, and fuzz to go along with it. My amp is a shit Fender solid state so I won't bother with pedals right now. I let my Strat and Tele do the talkin'

Let's be honest now, there were no perfectly good Audioslave songs. That whole project greatly underdelivered.

Many people really freak out when I say what I'm about to say, but Audioslave kind of sucked. I mean ya they had some good songs and all, but (at least for me) it was not a good fit, not for the band, not for Cornell. I absolutly loved Rage, and I liked soundgarden pretty good also, but Audioslave was the worst part of both bands imo. Honestly I blame Cornell more than the band for that trainwreck. Why? Because the band was the exact same band that made Rage so fucking awesome, Cornell pussified them or something, they just didn't have the same punch. But the only thing that changed was the singer, so for me, Cornell was to blame. To be fair, they were a decent band, but Rage and Soundgarden were vastly superior. To be fair to Cornell, Morello's guitar work did not fit his songs very well, so it was just a bad fit all around.

Nah, Audioslave sucked.

People take the piss out of ACDC for only having 2 songs, RATM are even guiltier of that...cool sound I guess but I've always seen RATM as a manipulative wank that has not a shred more credibility than Poison.

I liked Soundgarden, but Cornell and the RATM guys was a total fizzer.

I hate Morello after Evil Empire. Just play a lead, I don't want to hear DJ scratching you self important sack of shit.

IMO most guitarists need their pedals taken off em. All I've ever wanted is a wah, an overdrive and delay.

Morello is perfect in every way.
Good riffs but solos? ROFL

I really like Like A Stone, I like the solo too but a more traditional one would have been fine

Anyways, I just have a 535q and my amp. My rig is stupid simple, but once I get a nice amp I'll get a nice overdrive, delay, and fuzz to go along with it. My amp is a shit Fender solid state so I won't bother with pedals right now. I let my Strat and Tele do the talkin'

If you get a really nice amp, you won't need any other overdrive, the amp should be able to do all the work in that department.

Many people really freak out when I say what I'm about to say, but Audioslave kind of sucked. I mean ya they had some good songs and all, but (at least for me) it was not a good fit, not for the band, not for Cornell. I absolutly loved Rage, and I liked soundgarden pretty good also, but Audioslave was the worst part of both bands imo. Honestly I blame Cornell more than the band for that trainwreck. Why? Because the band was the exact same band that made Rage so fucking awesome, Cornell pussified them or something, they just didn't have the same punch. But the only thing that changed was the singer, so for me, Cornell was to blame. To be fair, they were a decent band, but Rage and Soundgarden were vastly superior. To be fair to Cornell, Morello's guitar work did not fit his songs very well, so it was just a bad fit all around.

I know exactly where you're coming from. They weren't enough of one or the other, and certainly didn't bring the best of either of their former bands to the project.

If the quality of your playing is lessened without a phaser, tremolo, chorus, distortion, fuzz, delay, reverb, etc. then maybe the pedals aren't the issue. That's always been one of the more appealing things about slash to me. There are videos of his pedal board being explained and it's hysterical. He has just about everything but he only really uses about 3 or 4 regularly, and they're not even fun ones, just the tuner, compression, occasional boost and wah. Most everything else gets used on a single part of a single song.

It's not Zakk's pedals that are the problem. He can use his Wah all he wants as long as he eases up on those pinch harmonics. I love the guy but damn, he's ruined some good riffs with his overuse of them.

I'd like to see The Edge's pedals taken away for a gig. I'd be especially curious to see how he'd function without a delay pedal.

• Like 1

If the quality of your playing is lessened without a phaser, tremolo, chorus, distortion, fuzz, delay, reverb, etc. then maybe the pedals aren't the issue.

Agreed. If you are really, honestly good than you can make the cheapest shittiest acoustic guitar sound fucking awesome. All the pedals and amps help make your tone sound fuller or bigger, but they shouldn't be something you need to hide behind. True tone comes from your fingers and your soul, not from amps and pedals, they just help enhance it.

I hate Morello after Evil Empire. Just play a lead, I don't want to hear DJ scratching you self important sack of shit.

IMO most guitarists need their pedals taken off em. All I've ever wanted is a wah, an overdrive and delay.

The Springsteen fans get to deal with him now.

It's not Zakk's pedals that are the problem. He can use his Wah all he wants as long as he eases up on those pinch harmonics. I love the guy but damn, he's ruined some good riffs with his overuse of them.

I'd like to see The Edge's pedals taken away for a gig. I'd be especially curious to see how he'd function without a delay pedal.