Guitarists whose pedals need to be taken away from them.

AxlisOld

With all the Audioslave talk I feel the band came out with a good debut album and some ok follow ups but the good thing about that band was all Cornell. I feel the band wasn't ambitious enough to create great music and that pretty much fits with Rage to be honest a band with decent music but nothing special.

It's not Zakk's pedals that are the problem. He can use his Wah all he wants as long as he eases up on those pinch harmonics. I love the guy but damn, he's ruined some good riffs with his overuse of them.

I'd like to see The Edge's pedals taken away for a gig. I'd be especially curious to see how he'd function without a delay pedal.

At least he admits what he's doing is nothing special without the effects.

It's not Zakk's pedals that are the problem. He can use his Wah all he wants as long as he eases up on those pinch harmonics. I love the guy but damn, he's ruined some good riffs with his overuse of them.

I'd like to see The Edge's pedals taken away for a gig. I'd be especially curious to see how he'd function without a delay pedal.

The Edge is not a very good guitar player, but he's a good musician imo. If you can find a simple guitar riff and find the right sound for it, and it sounds awesome with the pedals and fits the song perfectly, then you have talent.

It's like his One riff was the reason the band got inspiration to write Achtung Baby. they had nothing going in the studio until he came up with that riff.

Having said that, I agree that real guitarists don't need much more then a guitar, an amp, and Delay, Wah, a tuner, and maybe a distortion pedal. (if you don't have a great amp)

I want to add tone to this discussion. It is one of the most important yet under talked about aspects of guitar playing. I was such a tone junkie early on, that I hated every single amp that I ever owned until I got my marshal jcm 900 (which as far as marshal's go is not that great of an amp, but it does have that tone). I still use it to this day, mostly because a jcm 2000 is out of my budget for the for seeable future. But I've played out of Peavy tube amps, orange tube amps, and fender tube amps all of which are fine imo. I prefer the marshal followed by the orange, but my point is whatever you can get your hands on, buy. Solid state amps are junk!!! It is a waste of time and money, and in most cases they are not that much cheaper than a combo tube unit.

When I was younger and learning the ropes of rock and roll, money and availability were the main factors. My first "big" amp was an old yamaha 100 watt solid state clean amp. I'm not sure of the model, but it has to be from the 80's at least. But I went and bought one of those digitek pedals with the 100's of preset sounds (I think it was like 100 bucks). All thing considered it wasn't a bad little set up I suppose, but nothing about it sounded like zeppelin or gnr or any of the bands I really liked. I prolly played out of that amp for 6 months, until I found a marshal jcm 900 head at a pawn shop for 500 bucks. As soon as I saw it, I wanted it. Even though it was used, those amps are over 2000 new, so it was a price I couldn't refuse. After I bought it, it took me about another 3~4 months to afford a cab that could make the amp sound good, but once I did, holy shit balls. The tube amp tone is where its at, anything else is just pointless. I still have the same everything ten years later (sure I had to replace the tubes, and my amp can be a fussy little bitch at times, but once it gets heated up and dialed in, watch out.)

My point in this story is as guitar players we sometimes spend so much time worrying about technique and what guitars and pedals you have, but TONE is equally as important. Sure a great guitarist can make a shitty amp sound good, but even Hendrix wouldn't sound like Hendrix on a shitty little solid state amp.

I want to add tone to this discussion. It is one of the most important yet under talked about aspects of guitar playing. I was such a tone junkie early on, that I hated every single amp that I ever owned until I got my marshal jcm 900 (which as far as marshal's go is not that great of an amp, but it does have that tone). I still use it to this day, mostly because a jcm 2000 is out of my budget for the for seeable future. But I've played out of Peavy tube amps, orange tube amps, and fender tube amps all of which are fine imo. I prefer the marshal followed by the orange, but my point is whatever you can get your hands on, buy. Solid state amps are junk!!! It is a waste of time and money, and in most cases they are not that much cheaper than a combo tube unit.

When I was younger and learning the ropes of rock and roll, money and availability were the main factors. My first "big" amp was an old yamaha 100 watt solid state clean amp. I'm not sure of the model, but it has to be from the 80's at least. But I went and bought one of those digitek pedals with the 100's of preset sounds (I think it was like 100 bucks). All thing considered it wasn't a bad little set up I suppose, but nothing about it sounded like zeppelin or gnr or any of the bands I really liked. I prolly played out of that amp for 6 months, until I found a marshal jcm 900 head at a pawn shop for 500 bucks. As soon as I saw it, I wanted it. Even though it was used, those amps are over 2000 new, so it was a price I couldn't refuse. After I bought it, it took me about another 3~4 months to afford a cab that could make the amp sound good, but once I did, holy shit balls. The tube amp tone is where its at, anything else is just pointless. I still have the same everything ten years later (sure I had to replace the tubes, and my amp can be a fussy little bitch at times, but once it gets heated up and dialed in, watch out.)

My point in this story is as guitar players we sometimes spend so much time worrying about technique and what guitars and pedals you have, but TONE is equally as important. Sure a great guitarist can make a shitty amp sound good, but even Hendrix wouldn't sound like Hendrix on a shitty little solid state amp.

Well I think Hendrix would sound like Hendrix on anything just as slash would be slash and Eddie would be Eddie, because of the way they play. No one can completely replicate their technique and style. But I agree on the main point that it starts with the amp.

Some guitar players get their tone through their pedals. Generally that's something I'm not too into. Often times a guitarist who uses a million pedals comes off like a refrigerator with condiments but no food.

I was thinking the same thing. He's modest enough to admit that sometimes what he does is nothing special if you take out the effects.

I was thinking the same thing. He's modest enough to admit that sometimes what he does is nothing special if you take out the effects.

He seems like a genuinely nice humble dude.

Because that's what The Edge is referring to in the above video (Bill Bailey has been very vocal over the years of The Edge's wankery)

Edited by PappyTron

Zakk Wylde is a monster player, but as mentioned here he needs to use less chorus and wah, I'd add delay to that too.

Completely agree about Morello, and I don't even need to mention The Edge (although I just did :P).

No one's said it here yet, so I will: EVH.

And no one cares.

MEME1.jpg