What are some vocalists that are better than Axl?

Not many... Halford was up there with him. Pavorotti of course. Mike Patton, Chris Cornell, Sebation Bach has the power and range. I would consider these guys on the same tier as young Axl.

Edited by Young_Gun

none, just freddie mercury but thats it

Man some of and your love and obssesion with Freddie Mercury. He was great no doubt about it, but you know who trumps Freddie? Prince!!! Prince is better than Freddie across the board, and twice on sundays.

• Like 1

Not many... Halford was up there with him. Pavorotti of course. Mike Patton, Chris Cornell, Sebation Bach has the power and range. I would consider these guys on the same tier as young Axl.

Axl Rose is my favourite rock vocalist, but fucking hell. :lol:

Uttering Axl's name in the same context as Pavarotti - who literally had the pipes of a god - is absolutely blasphemous. :lol:

Edited by NGOG

Axl Rose is my favourite rock vocalist, but fucking hell. :lol:

Uttering Axl's name in the same context as Pavarotti is absolutely blasphemous. :lol:

Pavorotti was the Buckethead of vocals hehe.

Man some of and your love and obssesion with Freddie Mercury. He was great no doubt about it, but you know who trumps Freddie? Prince!!! Prince is better than Freddie across the board, and twice on sundays.
In terms of douchebaggery, probably. But other than that, no way.
  • Like 2

We normally agree on most things, but really you think Freddie was better than Prince? No way, I don't see it. Honestly what can Freddie do that Prince couldn't? I can name A LOT of things that Prince can do that Freddie can't, just for starters I'll say write a hit song on his own. Freddie's solo career was hardly anything to write home about, he needed the rest of Queen a lot more than Prince needs anyone. Edited by Mike420

We normally agree on most things, but really you think Freddie was better than Prince? No way, I don't see it. Honestly what can Freddie do that Prince couldn't? I can name A LOT of things that Prince can do that Freddie can't, just for starters I'll say write a hit song on his own. Freddie's solo career was hardly anything to write home about, he needed the rest of Queen a lot more than Prince needs anyone.

His hits with Queen weren't written with the band. Comparing his solo work to his work with Queen is laughable. He just made a dance album and an opera album. He wasn't trying to write hits.

Satying in rock music, Freddie (and whoever says is overrated shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion), Bruce Dickinson is a virtuoso, Steve Tyler has a great voice for that kind of music, Elvis, Lennon, Plant, and for me the number 1, Mr. Bon Scott.

Axl is among all those but he has plenty of good, sometimes better, competitors.

We normally agree on most things, but really you think Freddie was better than Prince? No way, I don't see it. Honestly what can Freddie do that Prince couldn't? I can name A LOT of things that Prince can do that Freddie can't, just for starters I'll say write a hit song on his own. Freddie's solo career was hardly anything to write home about, he needed the rest of Queen a lot more than Prince needs anyone.
Well the OP was talking about the "vocalist aspect", so to make in short, the sum of stage charisma. You may disagree with me on the charisma aspect, if you will. But In terms of vocal abilities, Freddie still reigns supreme on the rock kingdom.

Comparing Freddie's solo carreer when he has always been the singer integrated within a band with Prince, a solo artist for his whole career, is a bit fallacious. But his work with Monserrat Caballe is pretty astonishing, if you ask me.

I'm not gonna quote which songs Freddie wrote by himself in Queen, I'm sure you know the hits pretty well.

• Like 2

:lol: Great post

I can name several singers, starting with Bruce Dickinson and then getting to Plant, Tyler, Bach, pretty much any male opera singer out there, Dio, Gillan, Hughes, Myles Kennedy, Kotipelto, Andre Matos, Rob Halford, Chris Cornell, Coverdale, Klaus Meine, Jon Bon Jovi, Aretha Franklin, Montserrat Caballé and pretty much any opera female singer, Simone Simons, Tarja Turunen. Then we have Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Adele and several pop singers out there. Oh, and yes, am I forgetting someone? Oh, absolutely. That Queen singer. There are many more but my point would still the same.

Even if some of those singers couldn't - and did not want to - scream their way to the notes like Axl did, they had much better control over their voices, much better vibrato, breathing technique, could reach notes easier and hold them longer and more accurately. Keep in mind that Axl had poor technique, all he had was power and a strong grit approach (or rasp, to those familiar :lol:) which made him slip notes and out of breath all the time. He'd go out of tune often when singing even easy songs or bits. So no, even if I like Axl more than pretty much most of those singers, they're equally good or better than Axl overall.

• Like 1

I'm not dininishing Freddie's songs that he wrote with in the band context, but he had others adding their own parts, just like what happened in gnr. November rain would have been a lot different without Slash's guitar work, same applies for Bohemian Rhapsody, and every other Queen song. But Prince actually wrote and played all the parts to his hits, thats a BIG difference if you ask me.

Again, I'm not trying to sell Freddie short, but everytime this topic of greatest frontmen/singers gets brought up, many of you say Freddie and think he is the end all be all of the discussion. So I keep throwing Prince's name into the hat, yet NO ONE has been able to provide any sort of facts or anything for that matter that shows that Freddie was better than Prince. Obviously it is all very subjective, but honestly how is Freddie superior to Prince in anything? Honestly I would say Prince is superior to Freddie in about every way. Which that is just my opinion, but come on, make your cases people. What could Freddie do that Prince couldn't other than make an opera album? But Prince could make dance, hip hop, funk, soul, and many other types of music that Freddie could only dream of making.

So many of you pray at the alter of Freddie Mercury (which is fine, he was in fact a legend) but I have indeed found the answer to the question "who was better than Freddie?" His name is Prince....

Oh and just calling Prince a douche is hardly an argument. Even if you think he is a dancing little fairy, Freddie was an ACTUAL fairy, so that arguement doesn't hold a grain of salt.

Edited by Mike420

i've always had a thing for raspy-throated singers. i like tom waits, mark lanegan, axl and chris cornell for this reason.

cornell has changed over time in a nice way. i think when he tries to do the old screaming soundgarden tunes he can struggle nowadays (at times, anyway) but he'd do well to put out a full album of acoustic material like this:

absolutely beautiful voice. this is a guy who reinvented himself musically over the years in a variety of ways that i WISH axl had attempted. and when he failed (as with the Timbaland album) he just moved forward and didn't let it stop him. when i listen to him doing these acoustic gigs it almost makes me sad that axl never attempted something similar, because i always think of how awesome his voice sounded at the acoustic '93 gig in argentina.

Respectfully, I would put Layne Staley right up there. The guy is my favorite vocalist of all time next to Axl, and was absolutely amazing live. I don't think i've heard very many spotty performances from Layne back in the day. Such a shame :no:

• Like 2

Respectfully, I would put Layne Staley right up there. The guy is my favorite vocalist of all time next to Axl, and was absolutely amazing live. I don't think i've heard very many spotty performances from Layne back in the day. Such a shame :no:

He could get a little pitchy when hitting certain notes, but overall he was a monster. Love that voice.

• Like 1

I'm not dininishing Freddie's songs that he wrote with in the band context, but he had others adding their own parts, just like what happened in gnr. November rain would have been a lot different without Slash's guitar work, same applies for Bohemian Rhapsody, and every other Queen song. But Prince actually wrote and played all the parts to his hits, thats a BIG difference if you ask me.

Again, I'm not trying to sell Freddie short, but everytime this topic of greatest frontmen/singers gets brought up, many of you say Freddie and think he is the end all be all of the discussion. So I keep throwing Prince's name into the hat, yet NO ONE has been able to provide any sort of facts or anything for that matter that shows that Freddie was better than Prince. Obviously it is all very subjective, but honestly how is Freddie superior to Prince in anything? Honestly I would say Prince is superior to Freddie in about every way. Which that is just my opinion, but come on, make your cases people. What could Freddie do that Prince couldn't other than make an opera album? But Prince could make dance, hip hop, funk, soul, and many other types of music that Freddie could only dream of making.

So many of you pray at the alter of Freddie Mercury (which is fine, he was in fact a legend) but I have indeed found the answer to the question "who was better than Freddie?" His name is Prince....

Oh and just calling Prince a douche is hardly an argument. Even if you think he is a dancing little fairy, Freddie was an ACTUAL fairy, so that arguement doesn't hold a grain of salt.

According to Brian and Roger, Freddie wrote a lot of the guitar parts himself on songs that he wrote. Ogre Battle is a good example. Freddie wrote that on guitar.

Douchebag as in "asshole", genius. You wont find anyone less homophobic than me so don't play that card.