Chinese Democracy 2: The Search for Chinese Democracy.

From what we are told is the leaks forced the track list to be different than intended. What that means is that even though we got Chinese Democracy, we really didn't get Chinese Democracy. What we didn't realize is this touring is actually like an action adventure searching for "the crystal skull" which is the real Chinese Democracy. The question will it be a reboot? a prequel? or alternate timeline / universe?

It seems like we're getting Just A Few Bites Of Democracy Since I Have A Greater Appetite For Destruction With A Few Familiar Illusions On This Tour and are time traveling rather than taking a shuttle to the elusive fossil of the sequel that seems to have been made a long time ago yet has been deconstructed and dissolved to form a legend that ten per cent of the fan base believe in and the rest are either blissfully unaware or blissfully relieved.

My honest opinion is that Axl gave up on Red Panda / CD2 a long long time ago. My guess is somewhere in between the huge failure to launch CD as a Guns Record or between the last show of 2010 and Rio 2011. When droves of fans attending watching him tear out his throat for them didn't respark. My guess is it made him bitter and was enough to have him quit trying to give us that amazing voice or CD 2. But hey TB NEEDS MORE CASH so here he is.

From what we are told is the leaks forced the track list to be different than intended. What that means is that even though we got Chinese Democracy, we really didn't get Chinese Democracy.

Now isn't that the perfect excuse for an album that already took 15 years to make? God, Axl and his team are geniuses. The thing we talked about for 15 years didn't come out the way we wanted it because of _________. You really can't make this stuff up.

If I was manager of Guns and a track leaked, I would fast track it and release it on Itunes to capitalize on the leak, people would buy the high quality finished version over the demo any day, and others would just watch youtube but it's still an opportunity an silly waste them when they obviously don't come around all that often. Guns could do what Rush did and release 2 songs before a tour, play them during the tour and then re-record them at a later stage for the real record adding little finishing touches and arrangement changes where they thought necessary.

Writing music does not have to be the hardest thing in the world, the hardest part about writing music as a band is getting everyone to want to write music... Axls band is gagging to write together so...

As for CD II, it can't be more of the same... it has to be different enough from the last record and it also has to have a clear single... if I was given CD II as a record exec I'd look at it and go "is there a single here, is there 2 singles" if the answers no, I would refuse the record. At the end of the day, Geffen don't want what Axl is doing now to affect old guns sales by releasing poor albums and getting bashed all over the internet, if he comes up with the goods I have no doubt they would release it. More songs that sound like CD will likely please a good portion of forum fans and some fareweather fans but the older guns market won't buy it like the did with CD I so sales would diminish.

Problem is releasing records is almost a futile enterprise. Especially new material. Old music sells more than new. People want a iPod or phone with the history of music on it.

So the label aren't that bothered.

So Axl would be right to hold on to make what he thinks is right artistic statement.

Problem is releasing records is almost a futile enterprise. Especially new material. Old music sells more than new. People want a iPod or phone with the history of music on it.

So Axl would be right to hold on to make what he thinks is right artistic statement.

In one hand he doesn't release more of the material they've recorded but still go out and tour playing the hits with the new band. What's the artistic statement here?

A proper artistic statement would be to suck it up and tour with the people who actually wrote most of the songs or release the material written with the folks in this current incarnation of the band.

Don't get me wrong. I think he's doing just right playing the hits with the new band. The problem is to refuse to actually release material recorded with them; and if it is because there is no money to be made. There is no artistic integrity here. Don't tell me "but CD has been released". We are still talking about "the band" which has released a single studio album since 1993. It's 2014.

It's like if you retire but continued to randomly stop by the office, giving your "new teammates" instructions they had to follow but blocked them to get key parts of their work done. Could he just be (even if subconsciously) afraid that BBF, Ashba and others will have 1 second of actual mainstream fame and leave him?

tl;dr Axl Rose seems to be a living insecure contradiction.

Edited by stratus

In one hand he doesn't release more of the material they've recorded but still go out and tour playing the hits with the new band. What's the artistic statement here?

A proper artistic statement would be to suck it up and tour with the people who actually wrote most of the songs or release the material written with the folks in this current incarnation of the band.

Don't get me wrong. I think he's doing just right playing the hits with the new band. The problem is to refuse to actually release material recorded with them; and if it is because there is no money to be made. There is no artistic integrity here. Don't tell me "but CD has been released". We are still talking about "the band" which has released a single studio album since 1993. It's 2014.

It's like if you retire but continued to randomly stop by the office, giving your "new teammates" instructions they had to follow but blocked them to get key parts of their work done. Could he just be (even if subconsciously) afraid that BBF, Ashba and others will have 1 second of actual mainstream fame and leave him?

tl;dr Axl Rose seems to be a living insecure contradiction.

I'm talking about the artistic statement of a record. Being happy with it, developing it so it's worth releasing, not just some tracks you threw on cd cos you had to. There's no force pushing them to do that. They can take their time with it. What I mean about "artistic" not some higher plane beyond mere mortals. Just like AFD was about one thing, UYI another, CD has songs in kind of theme. Maybe you don't just accidentally find a new way to express, or even have something to say. Hopefully there is a CD part deux or they can find a way to put out a record.

That may not be it. The business side of it may make it more difficult than we think. Like the label aren't particularly gagging for a new record. ACDC/U2/Metallica don't have new records out yet. The label pulled the plug on CD recording costs in 2004? We haven't heard anything about a new deal/interest.

The touring is something else, sure they could play shotgun Blues but Don't Cry probably does make more people happy. CD, Better, SOD, TIL seem pretty established songs now.

The material they do release next will have a tough time breaking into the setlist. It's hard to guess or judge what it would be. CD II would have to be toured and worked into the setlist. I mean most bands don't really play all the songs off their album. Or maybe they do? but I don't think bands are as thorough or spent so much time touring one record. maybe there is a whole vault of those kind of songs. That we will remain in the late 90s GNR world forever.

Axl basically said CD II or the next one was more of the same. But have they moved on from that and now are looking more at a new era or just giving up.

Is this the last tour, a victory lap of greatest hits then disappear?

Edited by wasted

The problem is that he fought so hard all those years to forge a new chapter in GNR and he was on the way for two years and now seems to have given up, he might as well have a reunion if he is going to beat a dead horse with hired hands, they aren't a new incarnation of Guns with one album (fucking great album imo) that many of these guys barely played on.