New posthumous Michael Jackson album "Xscape" coming

Towelie

Could never understand why people found this guy great but whatever glad some fanbases are happy.

How old are you? If you saw MJ anytime before 1990, it was hard not to appreciate his greatness. If you only knew MJ from the 90's through the present I can see how many would not "get him".

Could never understand why people found this guy great but whatever glad some fanbases are happy.

How old are you? If you saw MJ anytime before 1990, it was hard not to appreciate his greatness. If you only knew MJ from the 90's through the present I can see how many would not "get him".

I grew up in a family that pretty much listened to a very diverse set of music from GnR to 2pac to George Strait and I've never been into a pop singer in the vain of MJ. Like Justin Timberlake just doesn't do it for me or his contemporaries, I tend to be into more soulful singers or rock bands like Ottis Redding, GnR, or George Jones.

Idk why but he just never did it for me his vocals aren't great, his writing is decent( in terms of melodies), and the music around his voice is just too kid like. I guess I prefer a more mature sound or something but those types of acts just don't cut it.

• Like 1

It sounds like they're letting the fans know these were all recorded by Michael by putting the original versions out, but they're giving the fans 8 songs??

The vault of MIchael Jackson is divided between what Universal has from Motown, and what Sony has. I think the "endless supply" is hype, but Tommy Mottola had said around 45-50 songs per album for Sony (which Quincy had also said, and a few other people), plus he had a lot of home demos either still in the vault or bootlegged. There's also the 3 Jacksons albums that were on Epic that may have had unreleased songs.

• 2 weeks later...

I liked more on Michael than I expected to, even if some of it probably isn't even him.

I refused to buy it because some of it wasn't him, but then my dad bought it for me as a christmas present. I really love some of the songs on there now, especially Behind The Mask and Another Day with Lenny Kravitz.

Why do they havev him looking like lady gaga on the cover. As if he wasn't freaky enough looking....

That picture is actually from an old photoshoot Michael did. So he's not made to look like Lady Gaga. Nor did he ever try to look like anyone, if anything he always had a unique style that set him apart from other pop artists.

Either way I'm looking forward to this album. Gonna buy the deluxe version so I can get the demos the way Michael left them.

I liked more on Michael than I expected to, even if some of it probably isn't even him.

I don't think I even heard anything off of Michael except for the first single (Hollywood?). Is it worth looking into?

The biggest reason I have yet to care about Xscape is Timbaland. I'm just scared his tracks will sound like everything else he's ever produced.

I don't think I even heard anything off of Michael except for the first single (Hollywood?). Is it worth looking into?

The songs I enjoyed from what I remember...

Breaking News (not very popular and probably not even Michael, but it's a good song imo)

Hollywood Tonight

Monster (again not very popular, probably isn't MJ, and features 50 Cent)

Behind the Mask (Thriller outtake)

Another Day (feat. Lenny Kravitz)

There were three fake songs on "Michael." Breaking News, Monster and Keep Your Head Up are all an impersonator and feature zero vocals from Michael Jackson. Absolutely disgraceful, shocking and unforgiveable of the estate and Sony.

The biggest travesty of it all, is that there are seven genuine MJ tracks on the album which deserve to be heard. Behind The Mask is one of his best outtakes, Hollywood Tonight could've been a big hit if MJ had been alive to finish it and Much Too Soon is a beautiful ballad. It's a shame these gems get overlooked by three fake tracks!

Fortunately they seem to have learned their lessons with subsequent projects. Bad 25 was a fantastic release and Xscape is shaping up to be a great album.

Edited by Towelie

Wow, I never knew "Michael" had an impersonator on it!

Not that I've heard the album, but wow...what the fuck?

Yep. Us fans got really pissed about it. Michael's daughter Paris even tweeted about it confirming that it really wasn't Michael singing on some of the songs.

The Estate lost a lot of points with fans on this, but Bad 25 was really great, I loved both the album and dvd. I hope they'll do something similar with Dangerous when that turns 25. The Estate has gotten my trust back with Bad 25 but they better not pull stuff like that again. I doubt they will though as Michael's son Prince turns 18 next year and then he'll have a say in the matter also.

Yeah, Behind the Mask is great. I enjoyed Michael for the most part, even the importer tracks, though those were utterly disgraceful and absolutely ridiculous they thought they could get away with releasing them without people realizing it.

Looking forward to this release. Xscape isn't the best track, but looking forward to the rest of the tracks and the demo versions.

The estate removed Breaking News and Monster from the Cirque De Soleil soundtrack....

Rodney Jerkins also said he believes the songs are fake, as have 3T and many of the Jacksons (not that you can take anything they say seriously).

To this day, I am still shocked that Sony allowed this to happen.

The producers said, it was because they used vocal FX on Michael's voice on those tracks, if I recall: that was their excuse.

Michael is worth it for 'Behind the Mask' alone. That is a Thriller outake which should have been on Thriller. It is a shame though because there is good stuff on it however, buying it you are directly funding the fakery. Pick it up second hand, is my advice.

I still cannot believe real producers, real musicians and engineers would participate in something like that but there are some precedents such as, some of the posthumous Hendrix albums that came out in the 1980s; they brought in a session guitarist to imitate Jimi. (This was before the family obtained back the estate). Shocking! There is also Pyscho Circus but at least that had 50% of Kiss on it.

To be fair, the so called "fake tracks" were I'm sure songs MJ was working on. Monster in particular I believe is something MJ was definatly working on. I would even say they feature some real vocals on it. I think his fan base overreacted about those tracks to a certain degree. Was somone brought in to finish some of the vocals? Probably. But MJ wrote and was working on those songs, and Monster in particular is a really good song that my daughter really likes, they are sort of the last songs he worked on during his life. Again I think his fanbase overreacted when it comes to those songs, because they are still MJ songs, at least to me.

The fanbase didn't overreact. If Axl passed and his record company tried to sell someone elses vocals as Axl’s on songs he didn't get to finish wouldn't you get upset? I would and I did when it happened with MJ. His estate and Sony lied to the fans in order to cash in, something that goes against everything MJ stood for. Sony and the estate deserved all the shit they got for pulling such a low move on MJ fans. They have tons of finished material and pro shot concerts they could’ve released but instead they chose to decieve the fanbase with someone elses vocals being passed of as MJ. That's not okay.

And yes, Behind The Mask is brilliant but the brilliance of it was overshadowed because of the songs without MJ vocals.

The worst part is, I honestly don't even believe MJ had anything to do with these songs. There is 0% chance it's him singing and I don't even believe he wrote them. All of the questionable tracks come from the same source, the Cascio family. I think that perhaps they worked on these songs with the idea/hope of MJ collaborating on them and it obviously never came to fruition. They probably even got an MJ soundalike in before he died, so they could show Michael how the songs might sound (R Kelly did the same thing when he wrote songs for MJ).

The only MJ vocals on the Cascio songs are copied and pasted from older MJ tracks. There's a "hee-hee-hee" at the end of Breaking News which is directly lifted from an ad-lib in In The Closet. FACT.

Monster has an ad-lib taken from On The Line which was sped up and shifted in pitch. These little touches are all over the Cascio songs, in an attempt to get them to sound more like the real Michael.

It's a fucking disgrace what they did. Fans did not overact. The worlds largest record company got an impersonator to imitate the worlds biggest pop star and tried to pass it off as the real deal. I know it sounds like the ramblings of a deluded conspiracy theorist, but it actually happened. Truth is stranger than fiction.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 2