New posthumous Michael Jackson album "Xscape" coming

Towelie

^^ The evidence is all over Youtube. There are a number of MJ sound-alikes out there, some of them very convincing. The one most fans believe was used on the Cascio tracks is a guy called Jason Malachi. Check out the vocal comparison videos on Youtube, theres hundreds of examples. It is without a doubt the voice of this guy IMO. The rest of the Cascio tracks (there were 12 in total) leaked some time ago and quite tellingly, the estate have vowed not to use any more songs from "that family" (John Branca's exact words) on any future MJ projects.

Sounds pretty good. Is it just me or was the "she's only 15" line not in the released version?

Yeah, Teddy Riley cut that line out because he deemed it to be too controversial.

And now the estate are releasing the song "Do You Know Where Your Children Are" which is actually a story about child sex abuse. The line from Hollywood Tonight pales in comparison in terms of the shitstorm it could create.

But I'm please they're showing some balls this time around. Fuck the haters.

Edited by Towelie

Diesel Daisy - most of the album IS Michael. Hold My Hand, Hollywood Tonight, Best Of Joy, The Way You Love Me, {I Can't Make It} Another Day, Much Too Soon and Behind The Mask are all MJ. Breaking News, Monster and Keep Your Head Up are the fake ones.

Can you notice a difference in the voice though? Imagine if the controversy had not broken and you were sitting there listening to 'Monster' for the first time; would you say, ''hang on, his voice sounds a bit funny there''?

Fuck yes I can. It has nothing to do with the controversy. I heard beforehand about the claims of fakery, but to be honest, I just thought it was the crazy Jackson family up to their old tricks. I thought it was an absurd claim, there was no way Sony would put out fake Michael Jackson songs.

Then I heard Breaking News. I remember the day that song premiered on his official website the MJ boards went into complete meltdown with almost everybody in shock at what was happening. I guess it depends how big a fan you are. I mean, without meaning to patronise you, I could tell in the first five seconds of hearing the vocal on Breaking News that it was not Michael Jackson singing. But I've spent 30 years listening obsessively to his music, I know his entire back catalogue like the back of my hand, including the Motown solo albums, the Jacksons and J5 stuff.

I still say he wrote those songs though, and I do think he has vocal lines on them as well. It's not all fake. He was getting older, Axl's voice changed, MJ's could have as well. Now being the perfectionnist that MJ was, he would have done 300 takes before getting the ones he liked. So they could be glorified demo vocals. To answer the earlier question, if they found that good of Axl imitator to finish songs that Axl wrote, I would rather have those than nothing at all. Besides thats the problem with all posthumus albums, it's a different interpertation. That's why they are never as good, at least imo. Or they are made up of album leftovers, and usually if the song was that good it would have made the original album anyways, so either way they are lesser works imo.

Can you notice a difference in the voice though? Imagine if the controversy had not broken and you were sitting there listening to 'Monster' for the first time; would you say, ''hang on, his voice sounds a bit funny there''?

Fuck yes I can. It has nothing to do with the controversy. I heard beforehand about the claims of fakery, but to be honest, I just thought it was the crazy Jackson family up to their old tricks. I thought it was an absurd claim, there was no way Sony would put out fake Michael Jackson songs.

Then I heard Breaking News. I remember the day that song premiered on his official website the MJ boards went into complete meltdown with almost everybody in shock at what was happening. I guess it depends how big a fan you are. I mean, without meaning to patronise you, I could tell in the first five seconds of hearing the vocal on Breaking News that it was not Michael Jackson singing. But I've spent 30 years listening obsessively to his music, I know his entire back catalogue like the back of my hand, including the Motown solo albums, the Jacksons and J5 stuff.

I will take your word for it them. I have been listening to Jackson for about 22 years but in more of an, off and on, casual way.

I still say he wrote those songs though, and I do think he has vocal lines on them as well. It's not all fake. He was getting older, Axl's voice changed, MJ's could have as well. Now being the perfectionnist that MJ was, he would have done 300 takes before getting the ones he liked. So they could be glorified demo vocals. To answer the earlier question, if they found that good of Axl imitator to finish songs that Axl wrote, I would rather have those than nothing at all. Besides thats the problem with all posthumus albums, it's a different interpertation. That's why they are never as good, at least imo. Or they are made up of album leftovers, and usually if the song was that good it would have made the original album anyways, so either way they are lesser works imo.

We will never know unless one of them - be that Cascio, Porte, Riley or DiLeo - broke ranks and told the full story. Probably this will happen, one day, however currently this is the official line:

In a statement before the premiere of ''Breaking News,'' Sony Music Group countered that it had "complete confidence in the results of our extensive research, as well as the accounts of those who were in the studio with Michael, that the vocals on the new album are his own". Producer Teddy Riley, and Jackson's estate have since defended Sony's claims that the song is authentic. On December 6, 2010, the Cascio family appeared on Oprah, where Eddie Cascio insisted the songs were sung by Jackson, and showed the studio where he had recorded the songs. Teddy Riley, who had worked on two of the Cascio tracks, "Monster" and "Breaking News", said that he had to do "more processing to the voice, which is why people were asking about the authenticity of his voice".Riley also said that "With the Melodyne we actually move the stuff up which is the reason why some of the vibrato sounds a little off or processed, over-processed. We truly apologize for that happening, but you are still hearing the true Michael Jackson''.

I think the theory that, these were songs written for Jackson but that he never worked on, makes a lot of sense, as, the three are quite good (especially, Breaking News) and there was just about the space of a year between his death and the album's release.