What bands would you pick if 5 "lost" albums of unheard material were discovered and released.

Apollo

Meaning that somebody discovered five unreleased/unheard albums worth of music by your favorite band locked away in a vault.....and then those 5 albums were released in one big box set. 70 unheard songs - released at once. All songs that none of us had ever heard.

What would your top five bands be?

I think most of us would take five new/old Guns n Roses albums, and that would obviously be my first choice. But what about after them?

I'd take

1 Mother Love Bone

2 Skid Row........I think there earlier albums were fantastic, Youth Gone Wild, Monkey Business, Darkened Room, 18 and Life, I Remember You

3 Led Zep

4 Ozzy/Randy Rhoads era

5 Buddy Holly

Guest Len B'stard

Jesus, what a question...I guess the answer is none of em. Because well, anything thats shit is shit right? And anything that is good may or may not come back as good, it may come back shit, so why risk it? Leave reality be, thats what I say :)

EDIT: But I'd have a lost Beatles album :lol:

EDIT AGAIN: but what if its some bullshit release like all the other posthumous bollocks that Lithium was making a point of earlier? Nah fuck it, even The Beatles can keep it back, reality has the idea here!

Edited by sugaraylen
  • Like 1

Jesus, what a question...I guess the answer is none of em. Because well, anything thats shit is shit right? And anything that is good may or may not come back as good, it may come back shit, so why risk it? Leave reality be, thats what I say :)

EDIT AGAIN: but what if its some bullshit release like all the other posthumous bollocks that Lithium was making a point of earlier? Nah fuck it, even The Beatles can keep it back, reality has the idea here!

Hahaha

Wow, your train of thought there, wow.

True, though, I guess...

You are assuming it's crap though, when it might not be.

Axl is reported to have anywhere from 20 to 75 unreleased songs in his vault. Just because he has issues and isn't confident to release them doesn't mean that they are bad.

Imagine if they found some really old Beatles tunes that were never released. The boys just jamming in the studio - maybe some stuff that at the time was deemed to heavy or to soft and not popish enough, Harrison with an acoustic guitar doing a duet with John, Paul on the piano covering some old gospel tunes, Harrison tearing up some old blues numbers. Stuff, for whatever reason, didn't fit the niche of the band at the time.

Maybe Axl has an entire album's worth of piano based music like his November Rain piano demo. Maybe the boys were in the studio one night drunk and banged out some stuff that was too raw and metal like for GnR. Or there are some songs that were in the Lies era like One In A Million that just didn't fit what the band's producer/label was looking for.

Just because something wasn't released doesn't mean that it is because they are terrible songs.

Axl has released one album in the last 23 years. I'd love to hear all the music he worked on during that time that didn't end up on CD. Atlas was supposed to be on CD but was subbed out at the last minute because of time constraints. I don't automatically assume it's a bad song because of that.

Have you heard the bonus discs of the reissues of Exile On Main St and Some Girls?

They both are full albums worth of material and there isn't a bad song in the bunch and some rank with the best Stones songs ever...such as Plundered My Soul and No Spare Parts

Guns n' Roses (original preferably, but I would easily take all the 1998-2002 material)

Beatles (anything from between Rubber Soul and Abbey Road)

Rolling Stones (preferably something from 1968-1975)

Pink Floyd (something from between Meddle and The Final Cut)

Not sure about the last ones... Need to think about that for a bit.

Guest Len B'stard

You are assuming it's crap though, when it might not be.

You misunderstand me Groghan, let me rephrase. OK, look, say there's some unreleased Beatles shit, for example. Now it might be good but it might be shit also. So why risk releasing it off of the fact that it MIGHT be good, if it is it won't be that much of a biggie, just good added to a back catalogue that is also good...but on the off-chance that its shit you are effectively muddying up the legacy of a band of whom two members aren't alive to make the decision whether they want this shit putting out there in their name.

Have you heard the bonus discs of the reissues of Exile On Main St and Some Girls?

They both are full albums worth of material and there isn't a bad song in the bunch and some rank with the best Stones songs ever...such as Plundered My Soul and No Spare Parts

I did yeah, The Exile ones although I'm damned if i can remember how good they were. Also, if i'm not mistaken didn't they have to like re-do the vocals on one or something? I remember listening to that and it sounding kinda ill-fitting. Sort of like when they put those old scenes back in Good the Bad and the Ugly only they didn't have sound for em so Eli Wallach and Clint Eastwood did re-recorded the dialogue and they got some fuckin' Mike Yarwood in to do Lee Van Cleefs take, it's interesting as a historical artefact but thats about the relevance of it now, it has no business being tacked onto Leones vision, especially since he's dead. Thats not quite applicable with The Stones I suppose but I'd still be inclined to leave it, they ain't that band anymore..then again, they wrote it, who the fuck am I to sit here dictating terms on what should or shouldn't be released.

1. classic gnr (96 sessions and any other unreleased stuff.)

2. Zeppelin (anything and everything)

3. NUgnr (CD leftovers)

4. Prince

5. Van Halen (even though ADKOT already cleaned some of this out)

With all the posthumous albums that are released, most good artists vaults are emptied out anyways. I don't think many dead legends have anything left to be honest, just the living ones, and its just a matter of time with them...

I kinda agree with Lenny about studio jams and what not when it comes to The Beatles. Besides we got The Beatles Anthologies, which sucked balls imo. Real Love and Free as a bird were the only two things worth a damn on all of those discs imo, and Real Love had already been released on John's stuff, so that wasn't even new. It just further's my point, if your band has dead members or the artist has passed, all that shit has already been ramsacked, look at Hendrix. I would say Zeppelin is the one possible exception, just because they are so picky when it comes to releases. Even if it's just Jimmy and Bonham jamming in 1972, I'd like to hear that shit :)

Edited by Mike420

Guest Len B'stard
I kinda agree with Lenny about studio jams and what not when it comes to The Beatles. Besides we got The Beatles Anthologies, which sucked balls imo. Real Love and Free as a bird were the only two things worth a damn on all of those discs imo, and Real Love had already been released on John's stuff, so that wasn't even new.

I was just using The Beatles as a hypothetical thing man, i love the Anthologies.

'Pauls broken a glass, a glass, a glass, he's broken again' :D

Whats The New Mary Jane, didn't like that song?

1. classic gnr (96 sessions and any other unreleased stuff.)

2. Zeppelin (anything and everything)

3. NUgnr (CD leftovers)

4. Prince

5. Van Halen (even though ADKOT already cleaned some of this out)

With all the posthumous albums that are released, most good artists vaults are emptied out anyways. I don't think many dead legends have anything left to be honest, just the living ones, and its just a matter of time with them...

I kinda agree with Lenny about studio jams and what not when it comes to The Beatles. Besides we got The Beatles Anthologies, which sucked balls imo. Real Love and Free as a bird were the only two things worth a damn on all of those discs imo, and Real Love had already been released on John's stuff, so that wasn't even new. It just further's my point, if your band has dead members or the artist has passed, all that shit has already been ramsacked, look at Hendrix. I would say Zeppelin is the one possible exception, just because they are so picky when it comes to releases. Even if it's just Jimmy and Bonham jamming in 1972, I'd like to hear that shit :)

I'd keep this list and swap out VH with anything of Rhandy Rhaods era Ozzy

I kinda agree with Lenny about studio jams and what not when it comes to The Beatles. Besides we got The Beatles Anthologies, which sucked balls imo. Real Love and Free as a bird were the only two things worth a damn on all of those discs imo, and Real Love had already been released on John's stuff, so that wasn't even new.

I was just using The Beatles as a hypothetical thing man, i love the Anthologies.

'Pauls broken a glass, a glass, a glass, he's broken again' :D

Whats The New Mary Jane, didn't like that song?

What's to love about them??? Inferior versions of songs we have already heard? If they were live or something that would be cool, but studio outtakes, don't really see the point...