Fort Hood confirms shooting at Army post, reports describe suspect

luciusfunk

UPDATE via KCEN in Texas: Fort Hood, TX (KCEN) –Fort Hood, TX (KCEN) — We have reports of an active shooter on Fort Hood.

We have reports that there are several injuries from this shooting. There is at least one patient being transported to the hospital.

We are also getting reports of victims in the Battle Simulation Center on 65th and Warehouse.

The suspect is still at large. The shooter was said to be in building 33026 which is the Medical Brigade Building.

Reports have said that he was driving a gray Toyota, described as a white male in an Army Combat Uniform, and carrying a .45 handgun.

Fort Hood has been put on lockdown.

Central Texas College has been evacuated only as a precaution.

These are all preliminary reports.

CNN Wire story continues below:

UPDATE 4:40 MST: (CNN) — Fort Hood confirms that a shooting has occurred at the U.S. Army post near Killeen, Texas, “and injuries are reported.” No further details were released.

(CNN) — There is an active shooter at the sprawling central Texas base of Fort Hood, a source at Fort Hood told CNN on Wednesday.

The situation is serious and sirens are going off, said the source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

A spokesman for the base said an “incident” was under way but declined for provide additional information.

Fort Hood’s official Twitter feed asked that all personnel on post shelter in place.

A local sheriff’s office said that it had heard there was a shooting.

“They got some kind of shooting incident going on. They haven’t told us anything. It was on post and being handled by the military. Fort Hood has not asked for any assistance,” said Lt. Donnie Adams with the Bell County Sheriff’s Office.

All evening and night classes for the Central and Fort Hood campuses of Central Texas College (CTC) were canceled, according to the school’s website. Personnel and students were told to evacuate CTC Central Campus.

On November 5, 2009, Army Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan opened fire at Fort Hood, killing 13 people and injuring 32.

He shot fellow soldiers at the processing center. Prosecutors maintained that the American-born Muslim underwent a progressive radicalization that led to the massacre at the base.

Hasan allegedly picked that day because it was when the units he was scheduled to deploy with to Afghanistan were scheduled to go through the processing center.

The former Army psychiatrist was convicted of premeditated murder, and a military jury recommended that Hasan be put to death.

CNN’s Barbara Starr, Carma Hassan and Devon Sayers contributed to this report.

The-CNN-Wire
™ & © 2014 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

Link

If only there were people there with guns this wouldn't happen.

Guy walks into a base with a gun starts shooting, the military inside are unarmed and unable to defend themselves. Seems reasonable right?

yup utterly stupid.

Yet again.

I thought security was beefed up after the other shooting that left many dead?

Is it another crazy muslin extremist again?

Doesn't the army check out the backrounds of the men and women who sign up for the armed forces?

The guy whoever he is killed himself, so we don't have to go through another trial, but what the fuck is going on?

The US has to worry about internal terrorists more than the ones from other countries. I just don't know what is going on today? The world is just so bad and only getting worse.

No place is safe at all.

Guy walks into a base with a gun starts shooting, the military inside are unarmed and unable to defend themselves. Seems reasonable right?

Military bases, especially army bases, are huge. Bigger than most suburban towns. It's not unusual for there to be areas that don't have firearms. Hell, I just drove through Quantico, VA a few weeks ago, there's a fairly regular (ie, civilian) shopping center that (to my knowledge) doesn't have armed guards, there's also a residential area that does not have armed personnel either. Depending on how knowledgeable the shooter is regarding the layout of the base, it's not at all ridiculous to think that he (or she, to be fair), could evade capture for a small amount of time.

Doesn't the army check out the backrounds of the men and women who sign up for the armed forces?

Yes, but there's only so much that background checks can accomplish. The shooter from 5 years ago, allegedelly developed radical beliefs over time. The Marine Corps OCS shooter last year was a well-reputed drill instructor. No matter how much evaluating/checking into a person you do, there's no guaranteed method to prevent these tragedies from happening. People who lead completely normal, and under the radar lives can snap - there's no way around that. I'm not saying we should be complacent, but we can't expect perfection.

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 1

Yet again.

The guy whoever he is killed himself, so we don't have to go through another trial, but what the fuck is going on?

The US has to worry about internal terrorists more than the ones from other countries. I just don't know what is going on today? The world is just so bad and only getting worse.

No place is safe at all.

Security at the gate, checks the person and the vehicle. Once in...

Yet again.

No place is safe at all.

^

A very ignorant view on US bases. Military installations in the US = Towns.

No one ever gets hurt anywhere but Merrka.

Never read about a school shooting in China, Japan, Mexico, Brazil, France, Ireland, etc.

Guns are out of control here.....

Yet again.

No place is safe at all.

^

Never read about a school shooting in China, Japan, Mexico, Brazil, France, Ireland, etc.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/21/world/europe/jewish-school-shooting-in-france.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-13003419

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/03/world/europe/russia-school-shooting/

as for japan/china/ireland no they just stab students to death instead of shooting them

http://abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=80964

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chenpeng_Village_Primary_School_stabbing

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/4953260.stm

• Like 1

I think that out of the 10 worst spree killings (by body count) only two of them are American. The same holds true for serial killers - almost all of the worst serial killers are from central America and Russia.

This isn't a competition, but rather to point out that there are sick, depressed and misguided people all over the planet, not just in America, it's just that things which happen in the US and Europe receive exponentially higher rates of coverage.

Edited by PappyTron
  • Like 2

I think that out of the 10 worst spree killings (by body count) only one of them is American. The same holds true for serial killers - almost all of the worst serial killers are from central American and Russia.

not to mention in brazil/mexico gun homicides triple ours, their rates are climbing, ours is falling. this is a military base yet the trained soldiers cannot have guns, it is simply idiotic.

Yet again.

No place is safe at all.

^

Ignorant? how so? Are you saying they don't check anyone or anything?

On your second point, of course you hear more about things that happen here...

Edited by gunsguy

Yet again.

No place is safe at all.

^

Ignorant? how so? Are you saying they don't check anyone or anything?

On your second point, of course you hear more about things that happen here...

I think that many non-americns might not realize, that US bases, in a sense aren't bases. They are towns.

Some bases you don't have to be checked, because it is the TOWN. Hard to describe unless you have actually been in the service, and I'm not talking down to you, Gunguy.

I've never thought I would hear anyone refering to Brazil and Mexico as the epitome of gun control.

We all know these things can happen and happen anywhere, but we are very self centered, that's all.

I just read that the shooter was "being treated for depression and anixety".

The drugs they are giving these people - and you're dumb as shit if you think "treatment" entails anything other than meds - are compounding the problem.

• Like 1

I just read that the shooter was "being treated for depression and anixety".

The drugs they are giving these people - and you're dumb as shit if you think "treatment" entails anything other than meds - are compounding the problem.

i have seen it first hand. the drugs they are pumping depressed people or people with anxiety with are making people snap. i would rather see these people treated with marijuana and some real therapy instead of just pumping them with this junk that makes people lose their minds. the drug companies, doctors are making so much fucking money they will not do anything about it.

Edited by bran

Yes, because depression and anxiety per se would make him a lovely model citizen.

This guy had mental issues and he needed something more than a pat on the back and a "there...there". Do you really have such a shitty opinion of Amercian doctors?

this is on a warning label for paxil. i know someone who took 1, and was feeling very suicidal/ very angry, called up his doctor and told him this. the doctor then told him to take another one.

"Report any new or worsening symptoms to your doctor, such as: mood or behavior changes, anxiety, panic attacks, trouble sleeping, or if you feel impulsive, irritable, agitated, hostile, aggressive, restless, hyperactive (mentally or physically), more depressed, or have thoughts about suicide or hurting yourself."

this is on klonopin

"Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:

confusion, hallucinations, unusual thoughts or behavior;
unusual risk-taking behavior, no fear of danger"
my problem is the fact that these people do need something, at the same time what they are given is making people flip out and make them extremely violent. these drugs need more scrutiny or better ones developed. these drugs are doing more harm than good. people that may feel depressed or anxiety are looking for help, and these drugs are taking their depression and turning it into aggression.
Edited by bran

The issue is that American Doctors receive most of their $ from insurance companies and it is in their financial interests to provide certain types of treatment above others. America is, by far, the most medicated nation on Earth and someone who is displaying extreme behaviour types needs much more than a never-ending supply of drugs.

• Like 2