Fort Hood confirms shooting at Army post, reports describe suspect

luciusfunk

Yes, because depression and anxiety per se would make him a lovely model citizen.

This guy had mental issues and he needed something more than a pat on the back and a "there...there". Do you really have such a shitty opinion of Amercian doctors?

this is on a warning label for paxil. i know someone who took 1, and was feeling very suicidal/ very angry, called up his doctor and told him this. the doctor then told him to take another one.

"Report any new or worsening symptoms to your doctor, such as: mood or behavior changes, anxiety, panic attacks, trouble sleeping, or if you feel impulsive, irritable, agitated, hostile, aggressive, restless, hyperactive (mentally or physically), more depressed, or have thoughts about suicide or hurting yourself."

this is on klonopin

"Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:

confusion, hallucinations, unusual thoughts or behavior;
unusual risk-taking behavior, no fear of danger"
my problem is the fact that these people do need something, at the same time what they are given is making people flip out and make them extremely violent. these drugs need more scrutiny or better ones developed. these drugs are doing more harm than good. people that may feel depressed or anxiety are looking for help, and these drugs are taking their depression and turning it into aggression.

I had some meds for an acne problem back in my teen days that also said it could cause suicide...and all kind of other secondary effects. But fair enough. It's obvious that people with mental issues need some help but if that help is making things worse then it's ridiculous.

So my question is... what's the solution?

Edit: More control and a better patient follow-up, make a third person responsible of the patient so they can check if he takes the meds right and the effects, or whatever. But something should be done. And of course, another legislation that doesn't allow doctors to make a profit of it.

Edit 2: I also agree that a lot of people don't really needs drugs and less serious measures would be enough, I think that's out of doubt. But that's not what I meant. I was referring to a serious case where the problem really needs something else.

Do you really have such a shitty opinion of Amercian doctors?

Equally, why do you have such a high opinion of American doctors?

I'm just asking because I know nothing about Amercian doctors. But surely they have read more than me about depression, anxiety, pychopaths, etc. and I want to believe some of them have ethics.

Edited by Thin White Duke

If someone's suicidal and wants to take people down with them, it doesn't matter if they allow guns on a base or not. Big pharma's got a lot of customers in uniform.

What I found of interest was that if you never sent soldiers to war there wouldn't be any ptsd then there wouldn't be any need to medicate in the first place. That makes these types of shootings a consequence of foriegn policy or if you wanna get biblical, you reap what you sow.

You also have to look at reasons why they joined the military in the first place. Their childhood might have been worse than what they saw in Iraq or Afghanistan.

I don't think the government is doing much about all these soldiers who need mental help. I mean this guy lost his grandfather last year and his mom this year and the army gave him 2 days? Come on? Do you know how much it takes to deal with a death of a loved one and then have to plan a funeral and a burial? It's more than 2 days.

What the hell was so important in Fort Hood that they needed this soldier back in two days?

Anyway, I think the government and armed forces better start taking better care of their soldiers. All this stress and then money issues and family issues, we need to do better. These men and women have volunteered and we need to respect them more for it.

Yes, because depression and anxiety per se would make him a lovely model citizen.

This guy had mental issues and he needed something more than a pat on the back and a "there...there". Do you really have such a shitty opinion of Amercian doctors?

this is on a warning label for paxil. i know someone who took 1, and was feeling very suicidal/ very angry, called up his doctor and told him this. the doctor then told him to take another one.

"Report any new or worsening symptoms to your doctor, such as: mood or behavior changes, anxiety, panic attacks, trouble sleeping, or if you feel impulsive, irritable, agitated, hostile, aggressive, restless, hyperactive (mentally or physically), more depressed, or have thoughts about suicide or hurting yourself."

I took Paxil for two years. That stuff needs to be banned for good.

It is Satan.

• Like 1

I took Paxil for two years. That stuff needs to be banned for good.

It is Satan.

yeah its bad stuff nate, glad you are off it.