If Duff rejoined GNR premanently....

...would that be enough in your minds (the ones who hate Axl using the name Guns n Roses ) to be okay with Axl using the name going forward if they dropped a new CD?

I realize he wont, and don't care either way, but just for shits and giggles, is THAT enough, or does Slash have to come back?

Some people would be satisfied if it was Axl & Slash and hired hands. Others would be satisfied if it were Duff, Izzy, and Axl with hired hands. Others wouldn't be satisfied until it was the original lineup.

I actually don't mind Axl using the GN'R name...just so long as he does something with it. It's not that I don't mind Axl having a bunch of hired hands, I mind that there is nothing new on the horizon and the band has turned into a nostalgia act of those who the hands are replacing.

• Like 1

As long as one man is entirely in charge, it ain't GNR in my book. I know that makes people sandy in their vag, but whatever.

I've always had the impression that a person was almost entirely in charge, or at least he tried to be in charge, from early 90s.

That said, I've had trouble to come to good terms with what is really GNR since Izzy left. Bring Izzy back permanently too and I could embrace it.

Edited by Thin White Duke

As I have said before, I highly doubt an Appetite era reunion will ever happen. But I do think some sort of Illusion era/ current line up combination is becoming very possible. Duff has stated that he is having a blast playing these songs again and the fans absolutly love having him up there. It has created the most positive gnr releated vibe in YEARS. Even Axl has to be feeling it. I'm sorry but the show that Tommy returns to will be a down show after having Duff back, the band, the fans, everyone will feel it. Perhaps Tommy will feel the same way after playing with the replacements. He is going home and Duff is going home, it's really the best for everyone.

But to answer the question, let me state my persion feeling reguarding this band:

Axl, Slash, Duff, and Izzy (with either adler or sorum)= Guns n' fucking Roses. They are the real deal!!!

Axl, Slash, Duff (with whomever else you want to add)= Guns n' Roses

Axl and NUgnr= NUgnr or either just gnr, but they are not truly Guns n' Roses imo.

But if Duff came back full time, and Izzy became a writing partner who occasionally plays gigs, then IMO this group does make a legitimite case to be called Guns n' Roses again, even without Slash. 3 original members makes a very strong case in my book.

One thing that I think many are not thinking about is perhaps Axl wants and needs help at this point. He has been the lone wolf since 1997/8. Duff is as much a part of Guns n' Roses as Axl is, having him back full time will take a lot of pressure off of him imo. Think about it like this, if the hired guys (tommy, ashba, bbf, etc.) do an interview reguarding gnr, it doesn't hold a lot of weight, because they have no real authority. But if Duff rejoins and does an interview, it become waaay more powerful. Why? Because he does care about the band and the fans way more than any of the hired guys can or do, because he helped build the damn thing.

So many of you like to get caught up in these contracts and "Duff will never be a hired band member" nonsense. Most big bands have the exact same set up as gnr currently does. They are all employees of their respective bands, it's not some new trick axl invented. Hell Axl himself is still an employee of gnr, I bet he gets a paycheck and everything, just like everyone else. The only difference is he is the actual CEO of the company. Now if Duff rejoined would Axl give him a bigger share than the other guys? I would say yes, he probably will. Why? Because of the reasons I said before, Duff will put in the extra leg work because he actually fucking cares. Unlike some current members. Besides Duff already has partial ownership of the back catalogue, if he wants to rejoin, why not give him more power than guys like Ashba? It only makes sense honestly.

Right now we have 1 guy (Axl), who is keeping the ship a float. Then we have another guy (Dizzy) who also cares and has real guns n roses ties also. Then we have everyone else some seem to care (bbf) others seem like they are in it for self promotion or the money (tommy, ashba). While the rest of the band are really just glorified session musicians (frank, fortus). And we have Pitman (still not completly sure what he does, lol). But bringing back someone like Duff does in fact really help the band in every way (image, value, soul, etc.) Wouldn't it be nice to have Axl and Duff keeping things a float together? With Izzy as a silent partner? It is imo better than anything we have had since 1994, at this point I'll take that. And that's not even with Slash being involved, but bringing back Duff could lead to a possible Axl and Slash face to face meeting, which both of them really need imo. I'm not even talking about the music, just putting them in the same room is long over due...

If Axl had done something with the GnR name other than just using it for touring purposes, then most people wouldn't be complaining about him keeping the name.

Personally, I don't care about the name. I care about the music that is released. Regardless of what the name of his band is, Axl has released one album of original material in the last 20-plus years.

The only way I'd want old band members to return is if that meant Axl would start sharing music with his millions of fans.

Duff is probably the most down to earth of them all. In addition, he's a great bass player, a great performer and he's got 10 times more presence on stage than Stinson.

I like Tommy, i really don't know what im talking about here, but he seems to have a problem with the bottle. Maybe some time off after the Replacements thing will be better for him.

If Duff stays, it will only mean good things. In every lineup change Axl was on fire, so im looking forward to see the show.

As long as the Lebeis family is running GNR it won't really be GNR.

Just imagine what the 1987 version of Axl would have said if you had told him that 25 years later the house keeper and her devil spawn would commandeer the world's most dangerous band and replaced all the competent people with yes men.

He likely would have been horrified and never would have believed it.

Just imagine what the 1987 version of Axl would have said if you had told him that 25 years later the house keeper and her devil spawn would commandeer the world's most dangerous band and replaced all the competent people with yes men.

Sad and true.

That Axl would have punched you in the face.

• Like 1

People say this, or some variation of it, all the time.

But isn't another way to look at it that you'd be telling Axl he had complete control over everything and answered to no one? Because I think he'd find that pretty awesome.

But isn't another way to look at it that you'd be telling Axl he had complete control over everything and answered to no one? Because I think he'd find that pretty awesome.

True.

But we'd all have to agree that Axl's most creative time and most successful time as an artist was when he (or his "team" didn't have complete control of the band.

And if Axl sat back and said "For the next five years, all eight people in GnR will have an equal vote in what we do. Majority decision will decide all matters." I bet we'd get at least two GnR albums in those five years. And maybe even three - a double set now to clean out the library (one old, one new) and then another new album in a couple years.

I don't care what Axl does with the GnR name.

I don't care who is leaching off his fame and fortune.

I don't care who is in his band.

I just wish Axl chose to share music with his millions of fans.

• Like 1

I think 80's Axl is not a fucking dictator. He would be sad and angry and probably went crazy and kill himself

Duff joining permanently (no more Tommy) would be a step in right direction. Buy Duff is too creative to just keep touring over n over playing same shit. He'd want to actually write and record.

Edited by Snowmass