RIP Layne Staley / Layne Discussion

Forsaken

It always astounds me how that voice comes out of a near corpse in Unplugged, yeah it's cracked and raw as hell and wavering sometimes but the POWER and darkness is just unbelievable. Incredibly moving performance.

tumblr_mjf0whAxla1s83w7xo1_500.gif

Edited by RandallFlagg
  • Like 2

I watched Unplugged again the other night. It's amazing how Layne can be so off and yet so on at the same time. The guy looks like he's about to keel over in the middle of the stage and yet he still has as much power as he ever did in his voice. Goosebumps inducing vocals all the way through, and he's helped along by the fact that the band is tight as hell and Jerry is on fire. Definitely a strong team atmosphere in the air there. Great show!

• Like 3

Yeah dude. I can still watch the entire Unplugged gig today and get goosebumps. He was high as a kite there and haggard, still his vocals blew the paint off the walls. So glad they managed to do an Unplugged performance before Laynes passing.

• Like 1

Guest Len B'stard

I know exactly jack shit about Alice in Chains, only ever had the one album, with a dog on the front, didn't really like it but what i will say is, in every pic of him I've seen this Layne fella was the coolest lookin' motherfucker. Kinda reminds me of a grunge Tom Waits, he just looks the fuckin' bollocks :)

• Like 1

You listen to a track like Frogs or Sickman or anything from Mad Season and you think christ this guy isn't in a good place but the music they created around it was real beautiful and belied(?) the context, it was dark yeah, real damn dark but that often gives way to a certain colour and texture that you can appreciate in a deep and profound way, just wish the guy could've found a different outlet than the heroin cause the music obviously fed it.

I think Layne gave up when his girlfriend snuffed it, Demri was it?

Edited by RandallFlagg

I know exactly jack shit about Alice in Chains, only ever had the one album, with a dog on the front, didn't really like it but what i will say is, in every pic of him I've seen this Layne fella was the coolest lookin' motherfucker. Kinda reminds me of a grunge Tom Waits, he just looks the fuckin' bollocks :)

Their acoustic EPs might be more to your tastes. Great songwriting. Their albums veer more towards that dirty word that begins with m. :lol:

I realize not everyone on here is old like me&didn't have the chance to see the real AIC live and while Duvall is good he's no Layne (then again, who is?) I get a laugh when people say they are going to see Alice In Chains these days. I guess you are seeing them in name only though.

I realize not everyone on here is old like me&didn't have the chance to see the real AIC live and while Duvall is good he's no Layne (then again, who is?) I get a laugh when people say they are going to see Alice In Chains these days. I guess you are seeing them in name only though.

They're still half original members - it's not Jerry and Sean's fault that two guys are dead.

They're still half original members - it's not Jerry and Sean's fault that two guys are dead.
They use the AIC name to sell tickets. Jerry Cantrell won't even fill small theaters on his own whereas the AIC name can sell more albums,tickets and merchandise.

If they insist on using the name it should be AIC featuring William Duvall. Kind of like STP featuring Chester Bennington.

Edited by xGNRxSTARx

But you still considered Guns real Guns when Izzy and Steven were gone? I always go with the half original members rule. Not to mention Jerry is the creative force behind AIC and always had been.

and the two albums they have made with william have been great albums that live up to the AIC legacy.

• Like 3

RocketQueen, I'm pretty sure it was Mike Starr. Mike was shorter and had a huge head of hair. My seats were on his side of the stage. I don't think it was Inez since he is taller.

I've looked around online to see if Starr might've filled in for Inez or rejoined in some shows after he was fired but all I can find is that Inez joined the band in 1993 and then this mention of the Kiss shows on wikipedia: Alice in Chains performed four shows supporting the reunited original Kiss-lineup, with the final live appearance of Layne Staley on July 3, 1996, in Kansas City, Missouri.[42]

I don't know which of the four shows you saw but here's a video from the Kansas show and that's definitely Inez playing.

Edited by RocketQueen1985

But you still considered Guns real Guns when Izzy and Steven were gone? I always go with the half original members rule. Not to mention Jerry is the creative force behind AIC and always had been.

and the two albums they have made with william have been great albums that live up to the AIC legacy.
I consider Black their best album after Dirt. I love the EPs to death on par with Dirt though.

I agree with that, it helps that Cantrell has always been 80% of the songwriting and weighs in heavily on the vox. These two albums are brilliant, same atmosphere and haunting texture but obv a little less intense such was Layne's presence and spiral. I really loved how Elton played piano on BGWTB, brilliant touch!