The Dress Thread

Lithium

For the occasion you want to wear it for, I think it's a fun choice.

Wow, could have been a good thread that unfortunately turned to shit. Not all that surprised though.

• Like 1

I'm too fat for those dresses...

what do you think about the new one I posted?

You're not too fat at all.

And that dress would look awesome on you.

• Like 1

I'm rather picky about dresses. I actually don't wear many, if any it's to a formal occasion such as a funeral or a wedding.

Here are some dresses I would wear if I had a reason to.

http://www.jovani.com/couture-dresses/157424-10168

http://www.bcbg.com/Elise-Point-d%27Esprit-Feather-Trimmed-Dress/TPE64048-001,default,pd.html?dwvar_TPE64048-001_color=001&cgid=dresses-by-category-gowns-evening#start=135

http://www.bluefly.com/abs-by-allen-schwartz-ocean-blue-silk-blend-floral-print-sleeveless-halter-dress/p/325600901/detail.fly

http://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/Donna-Karan-Eve-Printed-Strapless-Caftan-Gown-Gowns/prod95310062_cat285305__/p.prod?icid=&searchType=EndecaDrivenCat&rte=%252Fcategory.jsp%253FitemId%253Dcat285305%2526pageSize%253D30%2526No%253D0%2526refinements%253D&eItemId=prod95310062&cmCat=product

http://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/Carolina-Herrera-Diamond-Swirl-Print-Gown/prod93510049_cat285305__/p.prod?icid=&searchType=EndecaDrivenCat&rte=%252Fcategory.service%253FitemId%253Dcat285305%2526pageSize%253D30%2526No%253D90%2526Ns%253DPCS_SORT%2526refinements%253D&eItemId=prod93510049&cmCat=product

http://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/Kalinka-Short-Sleeve-Ribbon-Chiffon-Gown-/prod95460011_cat285305__/p.prod?icid=&searchType=EndecaDrivenCat&rte=%252Fcategory.service%253FitemId%253Dcat285305%2526pageSize%253D30%2526No%253D120%2526Ns%253DPCS_SORT%2526refinements%253D&eItemId=prod95460011&cmCat=product

I <3 these dresses, how they look. Not typically, what most would expect I guess but we all prefer different styles/colors. :)

I have 32 dresses in my wardrobe that I wear quite regularly. And about 10 that I'm sick of and will probably never wear again. I love dresses. I love making them. I love wearing them. Bright prints with full 50s style skirts, or short 60s style shifts are the shit at the moment and are my favourites. I also have a couple of net petticoats to make the 50s skirts stand out, but they make driving a manual car a bit of a challenge. My all time favourite though is a black organza 50s style dress with a huge skirt. I was inspired by Grace Kelly in Hitchcock's Rear Window when I made it. Wore it to a party a month or two ago and loved every minute of it. Best thing I've ever made for myself.

• Like 4

for me dress is always a tricky thing. it should sit and fit just perfectly. that's why i'm not fond of internet shopping.

a dress that seems really fancy can easily make you look stupid and feel uncomfortable. and vise versa, sometimes i think the dress is ugly or "out of line", but then i try it on and turns out this is "the dress".

like for example, never was a fan of leopard prints and drapes, but this dress made me change my mind

f0dd74.jpg

do you think this girl looks like a cheap tart?

2lmqulu.jpg

i agree though that leopard print looks a little bit "cheesy" and perhaps provocative, but in this particular case i'd rather call this a "stylization"

Edited by netcat

Sorry Netcat...leopard print or any kind of animal print is just vile.

Instant turn off and it makes even the classiest lady look like a cheap tart.

I guess it's a fashion thing. It has to be worn in a certain way. And when it is its great! But yes, there's a really fine line, which makes being the right side of the line all the more exciting. It must be worn with everything else quite demure. Ladylike shoes and accessories, and even hair and makeup must be very understated. And most important of all it must FIT properly. Leopard print that is ill fitting (ie, too tight) spells instant disaster and the wearer is immediately dismissed as a harlot.

If worn with the above criteria in mind then it has the ability to be sexy, not slutty. BIG difference.

2lmqulu.jpg

Not at all. She nails it. :thumbsup:

this is the same dress by the way. it's just that on some girls it looks better

i think the idea that any kind of animal print is "mauvais ton" per se is a little bit old fashioned. by now animal print is classic and kind of must have. but yes i agree there's a really thin line and the outfits should be of a discreet tailoring style

• Like 1

I LOVE THIS THREAD!

My dream is to make beautiful dresses for beautiful women. I'm making my wedding dress right now, and today I'm wearing one of my own creations to work.

Will post photos of some of my craft when I get home from work this evening.

Yay ^_^ I love seeing your creations.

Will we get a sneak peek at the wedding dress too? ;)

I LOVE THIS THREAD!

My dream is to make beautiful dresses for beautiful women. I'm making my wedding dress right now, and today I'm wearing one of my own creations to work.

Will post photos of some of my craft when I get home from work this evening.

Yay ^_^ I love seeing your creations.

Will we get a sneak peek at the wedding dress too? ;)

Thank you ARQ. :)

I won't post the wedding dress tonight, but am hoping to get it finished later this week so will post it then. It needs some more work before it can see the light of day ;)

• Like 3

2lmqulu.jpg

i agree though that leopard print looks a little bit "cheesy" and perhaps provocative, but in this particular case i'd rather call this a "stylization"

She looks awful. A different dress and she'd look 1000x better