The Dress Thread

Lithium

I prefer stay ups. Stockings with suspenders are a pain in the ass. They look lovely but it's hard to go to loo when you can't get your knickers down below the straps. :lol: And they look and feel crap with your knickers over the straps.

But I only wear stay ups when I'm wearing a knee length skirt. I wear a lot of mini skirts (my legs being far more attractive than my flat chest :lol:) and so if its cold there no option but pantyhose/tights. And even then I have to get 'sheer to the waist'. I FUCKING HATE those control panel ones with the ugly line at the upper thigh.

I agree.

But then with shorts/minis there's always the option of thigh-high socks, which can look great and are sooooooo toasty ^_^ I especially love the look of black thigh-high socks with matching booties

80e2e6230cf87c131d4bb9562cbdf426.jpg

Even toastier is tights/pantyhose with thigh high boots. :awesomeface:

Yes, but not always appropriate in more casual settings :P I love my thigh-high boots but sometimes they just feel too 'dressy' for daywear.

I prefer stay ups. Stockings with suspenders are a pain in the ass. They look lovely but it's hard to go to loo when you can't get your knickers down below the straps. :lol: And they look and feel crap with your knickers over the straps.

But I only wear stay ups when I'm wearing a knee length skirt. I wear a lot of mini skirts (my legs being far more attractive than my flat chest :lol:) and so if its cold there no option but pantyhose/tights. And even then I have to get 'sheer to the waist'. I FUCKING HATE those control panel ones with the ugly line at the upper thigh.

I agree.

But then with shorts/minis there's always the option of thigh-high socks, which can look great and are sooooooo toasty ^_^ I especially love the look of black thigh-high socks with matching booties

80e2e6230cf87c131d4bb9562cbdf426.jpg

Even toastier is tights/pantyhose with thigh high boots. :awesomeface:

Yes, but not always appropriate in more casual settings :P I love my thigh-high boots but sometimes they just feel too 'dressy' for daywear.

Yeah it depends on the environment you're in. I live in a very urban, city environment where pretty much anything goes, any time. If I'm in town or just at work I'll wear them with a skirt and more casual top/jacket/cardigan, or a playsuit. It's much easier to wear them day or night if they're flat. I was tossing up between flat and heels and I bought flat in the end because they go with a lot more.

Yeah it depends on the environment you're in. I live in a very urban, city environment where pretty much anything goes, any time. If I'm in town or just at work I'll wear them with a skirt and more casual top/jacket/cardigan, or a playsuit. It's much easier to wear them day or night if they're flat. I was tossing up between flat and heels and I bought flat in the end because they go with a lot more.

Yeah mine are heels :P

I live in a city too and probably could get away with wearing them around town whenever (my best mate certainly does) but it's just not really my style, you know? :shrugs: My friend looks great in hers just out shopping or whatever, but she usually dresses quite smartly anyways so it doesn't look unusual...I usually save mine for evening or more dressy daytime events because I'm used to dressing much more casually so I'd feel really odd and overdressed otherwise.

Yeah mine are heels :P

I live in a city too and probably could get away with wearing them around town whenever (my best mate certainly does) but it's just not really my style, you know? :shrugs: My friend looks great in hers just out shopping or whatever, but she usually dresses quite smartly anyways so it doesn't look unusual...I usually save mine for evening or more dressy daytime events because I'm used to dressing much more casually so I'd feel really odd and overdressed otherwise.

I know what you mean. Some things just feel weird or wrong for YOURSELF. Everyone has their personal style and also their personal routine. Your friend might feel OK wearing that due to what she does for a job/study (like I do) yet others don't. I imagine that vet studies don't have much need for thigh high boots and I don't remember ever seeing my vet rocking a pair during a consultation. :lol:

Ugh stay ups...

One day I got a call from a far-flung forum friend saying that he was going to be in town. I put on my stay-ups instead of tights, just because I was in a rush and these were the nearest thing to hand.

They kept rolling down and I had to keep pulling them up. It was so embarrassing, as we had only met once before and I wasn't comfortable neither baring my knees nor making a joke about it.

Never, ever again shall I wear stay ups!

• Like 1

Ugh stay ups...

One day I got a call from a far-flung forum friend saying that he was going to be in town. I put on my stay-ups instead of tights, just because I was in a rush and these were the nearest thing to hand.

They kept rolling down and I had to keep pulling them up. It was so embarrassing, as we had only met once before and I wasn't comfortable neither baring my knees nor making a joke about it.

I used to wear them a lot, because I'm quite tall and tights were often too short for me. I found that if you use bodylotion or something like that, the stay-ups don't stay up. Yeah, quite embarrassing... I ended up hiding mine in my boots if they rolled down :lol:

Ugh stay ups...

I used to wear them a lot, because I'm quite tall and tights were often too short for me. I found that if you use bodylotion or something like that, the stay-ups don't stay up. Yeah, quite embarrassing... I ended up hiding mine in my boots if they rolled down :lol:

This is why thigh-high socks >>>>> stockings >>>>> stay-ups

214zg5u.jpg

What are this kind of dresses called? What's the style/era? :)

i think they are mostly from "fantasy" era :lol: as well as the rest of the show

but i can totally imagine girls wearing some of those dresses to prom

That particular dress above is actually pretty spot on Jacobean. :)

The hair is all wrong but the dress isn't.

Thanks for the answer :)

I think the dress is stunning.. or the whole outfit actually. Is there anything similar to that that doesn't look like someone's trying to look like heroine from a tv-show or something..? Just asking 'cause the outfit's certainly my fantasy era :D. But I wouldn't like a girl have a cosplay outfit on her..

Unfortunately we only have a choice between the pouty girls in TV shows or the pasty faces of the portrait ladies. :lol: There's really nothing inbetween because fashions changed and those dresses are actually very expensive to reproduce. They've really only ever been made for movies and TV and some stage productions. It's always been my intention to make one one day, but time and the financial reality has always prevented me. I made an 18th century corset for one of my subjects when I was at fashion school and that's the closest I've come. It's my fantasy era too. :awesomeface:

I still have the dream of one day working on costumes (it'll be the next thing I do when I get sick of brides and making wedding dresses) and the ultimate would be to work on a film like 'Elizabeth'. Or for the ballet. I'd be more than happy with either. :D

• Like 1

That would be great Red. You should try to make one. Can't you just start?

I had a friend who had a half finished 1700 french dress for years in her livingroom. Think she worked on it for 5 years, whenever she had the time. It looked rather cool as decoration actually.

The dresses for the sleeping beauty ballet, would be the coolest thing ever to make or design. :heart:

Erm, do I want to ask what "making your debut" is?!

Uuugh, it's a gay ass 19th century British tradition where females at the age of 16 are officially 'available' for marriage suitors. 16 yo girls attend a ball in a fancy white dress and dance around like dipshits with 16yo boys in suits to show that they are officially 'on the market'. No shit! Yes it was the done thing back in Dickensian days but for some god forsaken reason some asshole here in Australia decided to revive the tradition and its been happening every year for decades! I bluntly refused to participate because I'm a modern girl and can't stand anything traditionalist. But my niece thinks its an awesome opportunity to get dressed up in a fancy dress (especially when Aunty Kim is making the dress) and have some fun. :rolleyes:

Like I said I'm only agreeing because I couldn't cope with her wearing some polyester piece of crap.

The age to become a debutante in Mississippi, my home state, is 13. Of course that's when they started marrying us off - aged 13! hahahah - to our cousin's no doubt. That was a couple of hundred years ago though. :P Well, at least a hundred!

They still have debutante balls today but the girls are 16 now as you said when they are presented to court. They do start when they are about five getting them ready to present to court by sending in their name, sending in photos all sorts of get-togethers with the mothers in The Delta. It's a big Cult actually. And it isn't about getting married here now as it was many, many years ago. It's about being presented to society. Still, it's such pompous BS. None of my girls were debutantes. I just didn't think it was important for them to be presented to society. The people in society in the deep south are usually on parole or waiting to be sentenced.

The parties can be extravagant and exciting though! I'm sure she will have a wonderful time. Any young woman would! Good for you for making her dress. She will have a time to remember!!!

I was going to upload a photo of my dress I wore for my daughter's graduation, but I can't figure this out. I would have to ask Gia how to immediately delete it. :) I would only want Gracie & Red's fashion critique anyway! :) I have another party to go to, and I had no idea there were experts among us! Is there a way to send this to you by PM? I would prefer to do so and get your opinion if at all possible? My daughter's just tell me I look great for my age. Which is not a compliment. Also, Gracie, do you sell your dresses?

Sorry for all the edits.

Edited by AdriftatSea

AdriftatSea, you're very welcome to PM me- and I'm sure Redhead won't mind being PMd either- I can't tell you how helpful and inspirational she has been to my sewing over the last few years.

I haven't sold a dress yet, because I'm a relatively new sewer. I do give them as gifts and would like to sell them one day. I'm hoping that once my friends have seen my wedding dress that I get a few commissions from them.

The whole debs culture is weird, wherever you go- but it seems that the overall theme is a massive departure from what it once was. in Britain we have a prom to celebrate the leaving of school at ages 16 and 18. At both of my proms I wasn't into fashion, or even presenting myself well at the time. I threatened to wear a pirate outfit for the one when I was 16, so my friend loaned me a black calf length Marks & Spencer dress, which was nice but not fancy like the other girls had. I suppose I felt comfortable though. I'm very aware that I'm running out of nice events to wear party dresses and ballgowns to, and wish I wore something really beautiful when I could.

• Like 2

Adriftatsea, PM me anytime. :)

Gracii! There's never a shortage of events to get dressed up for. YOU decide when and where you want to get dressed up and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! :thumbsup:

And you inspire me and make me proud at the same time. A pirates outfit for the Prom? I LOVE IT! It sounds like something I would have done. :lol:

Well chosen. And yes life does go on with many opportunities to get dressed up. :)

• Like 2

AdriftatSea, you're very welcome to PM me- and I'm sure Redhead won't mind being PMd either- I can't tell you how helpful and inspirational she has been to my sewing over the last few years.

I haven't sold a dress yet, because I'm a relatively new sewer. I do give them as gifts and would like to sell them one day. I'm hoping that once my friends have seen my wedding dress that I get a few commissions from them.

The whole debs culture is weird, wherever you go- but it seems that the overall theme is a massive departure from what it once was. in Britain we have a prom to celebrate the leaving of school at ages 16 and 18. At both of my proms I wasn't into fashion, or even presenting myself well at the time. I threatened to wear a pirate outfit for the one when I was 16, so my friend loaned me a black calf length Marks & Spencer dress, which was nice but not fancy like the other girls had. I suppose I felt comfortable though. I'm very aware that I'm running out of nice events to wear party dresses and ballgowns to, and wish I wore something really beautiful when I could.

The school gave a gift certificate of $100 USD to whoever wore a duct tape dress to my daughter's prom! hahaha... no one did. Funny, the year before everyone talked about doing it and they were forbidden.

I'll bet your dress is going to be beautiful!

Yes, the debs culture is weird, has always been weird. I think, in the beginning, the entire premise was built on a young woman finding a husband - and bringing families together. Now, it seems to be geared towards business.

Your time isn't running out for parties! There will be parties to go to until the day you die! Trust me on that one!

The dress I wore for her graduation was a mid-day, afternoon, outdoor dress. Very casual. Very! I like how y'all have critiqued and will send a photo PM. I need to know the truth. I can take brutal honesty. It's navy and white and I can't find any shoes to match so I wore neutral. I didn't want to look like a sailor. hah! I'm going to be wearing it around a bunch of women that really don't like me so, I need to look okay. If this isn't the right dress for me, tell me. It will be another mid-day thing.

I like what you thought of the girl in the bathing suit Red. She was beautiful but the bathing suit wasn't meant for her body type. Sending it now. Thanks again!!

So I'm surprised we've not discussed this yet :P

rihanna-sheer-dress-cfda-awards-2014-2.j

I think she looked amazing, and more power to her for being comfortable enough with her body to show it off like that.

What's to discuss? :lol:

I actually wish there were better shots of her shoes.