Paul Stanley Told Slash: ‘Go F— Yourself’

Moreso in a good way.
I didn't know much about his childhood and the deformity he had to deal with and the cruelty that went along with that.
It was quite interesting to read how that later compelled him towards the role he took in Phantom of the Opera, and how that in turn lead him to be a spokesman for an organization that deals with children who have deformities.

I just read Stevie's book and he talks about this a little. He says Paul Stanley tried to tell them what to do from the first meeting. None of them were interested. Stevie was just a big fan so wanted to hang out. He told them to get a big drum kit like Kiss and have a big drum sound.

I just find it funny Paul called Slash out.

Not listening to Paul Stanley's music advice is the best thing for a band, come to think of it.

I agree that it would have awful if GN'R had listened to Paul and made more pop-leaning songs back in the 80s.

That said...

Say what you will about KISS--but they are still packing arenas 40 years after their debut. They've had missteps over the years, but they've always picked themselves up and kept on truckin.' Their last two albums Sonic Boom and Monster have been two of their best albums in years.

Edited by RichardNixon
  • Like 1

Not listening to Paul Stanley's music advice is the best thing for a band, come to think of it.

I agree that it would have awful if GN'R had listened to Paul and made more pop-leaning songs back in the 80s.

That said...

Say what you will about KISS--but they are still packing arenas 40 years after their debut. They've had missteps over the years, but they've always picked themselves up and kept on truckin.' Their last two albums Sonic Boom and Monster have been two of their best albums in years.

Gene and Paul just know what works for their voices, it doesn't mean they're all great songs, but I don't see them any different than what Elton does. When they're in the studio, it's just 4 guys working on trying to make the best album possible for themselves, roll the dice and hope one of those songs becomes a hit.

I'm sure if Gene knew the GNR story, he'd wonder why Paul was meddling. Sometimes how your advice comes across sounds like being told what to do.

That said...

Gene and Paul just know what works for their voices, it doesn't mean they're all great songs, but I don't see them any different than what Elton does. When they're in the studio, it's just 4 guys working on trying to make the best album possible for themselves, roll the dice and hope one of those songs becomes a hit.

I'm sure if Gene knew the GNR story, he'd wonder why Paul was meddling. Sometimes how your advice comes across sounds like being told what to do.

Gene didn't give shit about what Paul was doing in the 80's, he barely cared about Kiss. He was phoning his participation in.

He was too busy trying Hollywood on for size.

Edited by Zint

Monster is a horrible, horrible record. Tied with Hot in the Shade and Unmasked for the "Worst KISS album ever" title.

As badly mastered as Death Magnetic, and that's saying something.

Edited by EvH

I just read Stevie's book and he talks about this a little. He says Paul Stanley tried to tell them what to do from the first meeting. None of them were interested. Stevie was just a big fan so wanted to hang out. He told them to get a big drum kit like Kiss and have a big drum sound.

Also Axl talked about it a little...

Hit Parader: Well, what is the truth behind the rumor that Paul Stanley of Kiss was going to produce the EP?

Axl: Well, we worked with Spencer Proffer on our demo tape, then Paul came to us because he was interested in producing. Slash had him come over and I sat down and talked production with him and played him the demo. He wanted to rewrite two of our very favorite songs, so it was over right then and there.

That said...

Gene didn't give shit about what Paul was doing in the 80's, he barely cared about Kiss. He was phoning his participation in.

Maybe he enjoyed kicking it with Stamos and Tom Selleck but he still did write songs with KISS. I know he wasn't around much though.

Monster is a horrible, horrible record. Tied with Hot in the Shade and Unmasked for the "Worst KISS album ever" title.

I really enjoyed Sonic Boom (much to my surprise) and while I haven't heard Monster as a whole, I think Hell And Hallelujah is no joke my favorite KISS single since the 70s. Definitely since Revenge. Its possible the album's aren't "great" in the same way the classics are, but they've finally found the formula to make an album that sounds like classic KISS, but still modern. The problems with the records is that they sound like classic KISS and don't have Ace or Peter. If these albums were the original lineup, which is what Gene and Paul are telling their replacements to sound like, they'd actually be really kick ass.

That said...

Maybe he enjoyed kicking it with Stamos and Tom Selleck but he still did write songs with KISS. I know he wasn't around much though.

Paul said in his book that Gene was sending him crappy demos that he rattled off on cassette and left it up to Paul to do something with them, or not.

I really enjoyed Sonic Boom (much to my surprise) and while I haven't heard Monster as a whole, I think Hell And Hallelujah is no joke my favorite KISS single since the 70s. Definitely since Revenge. Its possible the album's aren't "great" in the same way the classics are, but they've finally found the formula to make an album that sounds like classic KISS, but still modern. The problems with the records is that they sound like classic KISS and don't have Ace or Peter. If these albums were the original lineup, which is what Gene and Paul are telling their replacements to sound like, they'd actually be really kick ass.

The biggest problem is that Paul's voice is completely shot, even in the studio. The guy can't sing anymore, and that's a hell of a shame. Even David Lee Roth can sound decent in the studio, Paul always sound strained and dying cat like... Edited by EvH

wasn't this about the time paul made it known he wanted to produce AFD and was talking about how he would record it if given the chance and some of the changes he thought GnR should make?

"we're gonna have to re-write it to make it a pop hit". Yeah, ok Paul.

However not much people cared about Jungle until SCOM came out, so I guess he wasn't too far off...

Have to say It's funny how Slash managed to recall the parts of the story that made him sound "bad ass" like mocking Paul stanley and only agreeing to work with him so he could meet him... yet he didn't remember Stanley teaching him how to tune his guitar offering to get him guitars and lessons or being told to fuck off after he sold him down the river when it was popular to do so. Paul Stanley is a bit of an egotist but he has and continues to write great music... let that not be forgotten, Sonic boom was one of my favourite albums of the past few years... and the back catalogue is pretty great! Can the same be said for Slash?

The biggest problem is that Paul's voice is completely shot, even in the studio. The guy can't sing anymore, and that's a hell of a shame. Even David Lee Roth can sound decent in the studio, Paul always sound strained and dying cat like...

Same can and should be said for Axl... Also DLR is great on the new album and his live singing has improved (compared to the old days) but he's still a weak link live. Paul Stanley is struggling live, especially on the higher sustained notes, but he still sounds like Paul stanley, DLR struggles with key from time to time but... he still sounds like Diamond dave.

wasn't this about the time paul made it known he wanted to produce AFD and was talking about how he would record it if given the chance and some of the changes he thought GnR should make?

However not much people cared about Jungle until SCOM came out, so I guess he wasn't too far off...

That is an amazing thing that still boggles the mind.

If the label didn't have faith in GnR and hadn't released SCOM as a single, what would have happened to the band?

How can a song that has turned into one of the most iconic songs in the history of rock music almost have been missed by the rock world?

I loved Sonic Boom--it's a great mix of classic 70s riffs and an 80s big rock sound. It's like Destroyer meets Lick It Up. I liked Monster too--it was more of a 70s style meat-and-potatoes kick-ass hard rock album.

Edited by RichardNixon
  • Like 1

If the label didn't have faith in GnR and hadn't released SCOM as a single, what would have happened to the band?

How can a song that has turned into one of the most iconic songs in the history of rock music almost have been missed by the rock world?

Dunno, maybe they would have tried to reach other labels and they would be successful, but it's a wild guess...

Dunno, maybe they would have tried to reach other labels and they would be successful, but it's a wild guess...

They had built a following up off the live shows, they probably would have sold a million copies of AFD without that song becoming a hit.