Could you ever see Slash playing the CD songs?

TeeJay410

Say if it were a similar situation to Duff, would slash play shacklers or better?

Sure, the riffs are not that hard. Plus I would love to hear him do a "Slash" solo on those as opposed to playing them note for note so that isn't an issue anyway

• Like 2

I remember that in some past interviews Slash was asked about CD. He said he had listened the album and he liked it. Maybe he was just being politically correct. But maybe he meant it. So if he meant it I guess he would play those songs.

He wouldn't be able to. If he tried it would likely resemble the time he butchered EVH's Beat It solo.

Lol. Kid, Slash could play anything from ChiDem that he wanted to. The most memorable solo on there (TWAT) sounds like Slash.

Edited by xGNRxSTARx

I'd rather hear Slash do his own take on solos for Better, SOD, TIL, same way Finck and Bucket played their own takes on Slash's solos. Doubt he could play Bucket's TWAT solo, and it's a shame we'll never hear Bucket play it live.

Edited by Amir
  • Like 2

He wouldn't be able to. If he tried it would likely resemble the time he butchered EVH's Beat It solo.

You're right, doesn't matter if you like Slash or not, it's a fact he can't play many things from Chinese (again like it or not the album). Even Robin and DJ (he's direct substitutes) couldn't play stuff that is from Bucket and now Ron. Buckethead brought GN'R to a new level (even Marc said somewhere he likes what he did in Nightrain at the last main solo). Even for those who don't like Bucket or Ron (or even Richard, who does some amazing things in Nightrain and November Rain - a shame he doesn't do more lead), it's clear as crystal things changed and there's no way in hell to Slash to play Bucket's stuff (most of it). Well... even Robin's. His guitar playing is advanced and very different from everything out there. Anyway I'm glad this is not a real issue to discuss.

• Like 1

it's a fact he can't play many things from Chinese (again like it or not the album).

Competely wrong. Do you know what "fact" means? Or English is not your first language? You cannot prove that Slash can't play CD songs until he has tried to play them.

Your post should be "I think - it's my opinion- that Slash wouldn't be able to play those songs".

You would be surprised what Slash could cover if he wanted too. I used to challenge him in the 1982/193 to learn fast solos and he always nailed them note for note. He by nature choses to play slower. The fact is I don't think he would even want to cover certain ones on CD. He would leave it up to the other guy to do.

You would be surprised what Slash could cover if he wanted too. I used to challenge him in the 1982/193 to learn fast solos and he always nailed them note for note. He by nature choses to play slower. The fact is I don't think he would even want to cover certain ones on CD. He would leave it up to the other guy to do.

Could he play shackler's ? I'd love to watch him try n' play it like bumblefoot does. Imo Slash is an amazing guitar player but guys like bucket, bumble or Guthrie are in a league of they're own.

• Like 1

Could he play shackler's ? I'd love to watch him try n' play it like bumblefoot does. Imo Slash is an amazing guitar player but guys like bucket, bumble or Guthrie are in a league of they're own.

At what they do. I remember Slash said he knew everyone from new Guns, except of Bucket, and that he's not interested in that kind of music. I don't think Slash could play things like Bucket's I.R.S solo, and a few other technically demanding pieces as well, but that doesn't matter anyway, cause if given the chance, Slash will always find something that will work in a Guns song and will fit perfectly with Axl's voice and melodies. Good examples are Estranged and November Rain. Axl knew this in 2001. That's why he wanted Slash to play on 3 songs or whatever.

I would love to know what those songs were. Maybe There Was A Time. No one can bring to a Guns song what Slash can. Same with Duff and Izzy and Steven. Even now, live, Duff brings a different kind of energy. Watch how he interacts with Axl in the first show when they're doing Live And Let Die: Duff gets close to Axl with his bass, sticks his head right next to Axl's head, and stares at the crowd with a confident look on his face. He's not afraid to heavily interact with Axl on the stage and represent the song physically as a band, cause they're both natural parts of the same musical machine. For a moment there, it feels like Ax and Duff are a mini unit of destruction. The last remains of what was once unbeatable.

My fucking point is that Slash is the perfect Guns lead guitarist. He has all the technique he will ever need to bring everything a great Guns song needs: Mindblowing Solos, killer riffs, and amazing guitar lines that interact with Axl's vocals so seamlessly and take the song to a new level of awesome. Chinese came with a price. You can't really replace Slash after AFD, Lies, and UYI and get away with it. Not really.

Maybe Bucket had a chance of getting close, but still, I don't believe he would have been accepted or as highly regarded as Slash. Many consider him the only real Gn'R lead man. I can understand why. No one will ever come close to Slash's status as Gn'R's lead guitarist, and maybe that's just how it was gonna be no matter what star guitarist Axl would have recruited or how prolific he was. Big shoes to fill.

Slash made too much of an impact on the classic sound. He was too good to be forgotton by the fans, and Axl's inability to keep band members from quitting after they replaced Slash only made it worse.

Now no one really cares outside of me and the rest of the hardcore fans here who's playing what. They are somewhat faceless to the casual fan. The opposite of Slash's iconic look, sound, and stage presence.

Edited by Rovim

Of course he could play shacklers and it would'nt have the shitty tone bumble uses either.

Sorry but Slash could not play the Shacklers solo, he has limits to his ability and he has regressed as a player in recent years. Some of the techniques in Shacklers are over Slash's head and for the most part he's not interested in them.

Slash could reinterpret that solo section and maybe play some similar lines, but for the most part he would not be able to copy the original... pretty certain he can't and does not play fretless either which would be a bit of a road block.

Most important thing here is that, we will never have to worry about any of that happening, he will likely never play with the band again and if he did he would only be playing material from the old band.

Sorry but Slash could not play the Shacklers solo, he has limits to his ability and he has regressed as a player in recent years. Some of the techniques in Shacklers are over Slash's head and for the most part he's not interested in them.

Slash could reinterpret that solo section and maybe play some similar lines, but for the most part he would not be able to copy the original... pretty certain he can't and does not play fretless either which would be a bit of a road block.

Most important thing here is that, we will never have to worry about any of that happening, he will likely never play with the band again and if he did he would only be playing material from the old band.

I agree generally but I would never say Slash's playing has regressed. His lead playing has improved by leaps and bounds.

Without focusing on whether technically he could or couldn't play on the songs (imo he is a pro guitarist, has been playing his whole life, and could do something with all the material if needs be).

Mark, I'm more interested in your thoughts on whether Slash would ever entertain the idea of playing a few CD songs. eg. Some random chain of events leads Slash to be reunited with a version of Axl's 'NewGNR'. Discussion comes up about set lists & songs like Better, CD, TIL,....knowing Slash how you do, would he be keen on playing them, to proud to play them, is it a part of Guns you reckon he'd rather not acknowledge musically if he were somewhat back in the mix?,..what do you think his thought process/reaction/response would be?

Since Slash has been sober, his playing has only improved and so has his speed when needed. Listen to Anastasia from his last record. Also seeing him live, it is clear that he is better now then ever. The only thing that has changed is he is no longer able to work with Axl. When Slash is working with Axl, there is a great chemistry. Axl's voice brings out real good guitar playing out of Slash.

There is nothing 'hard' about BBF solos. Grab a metronome, grab a guitar with a scalloped and/or ebony fretboard, start playing arpeggios very slow, then work up to speed. Do this every day, for a few years, and you will be just like BBF, and Yngwie, and Buckethead, and Paul Gilbert, and Chris Broderick, and, and , and... you get the point. This isn't something that comes from your ear, it is a learned method.

Slash however, brings emotion and melody to a song. His phrasings are more lyrical and much like a saxophone. Slash is a household name, because he has a distinct style and tone. He has a natural ability to make a solo memorable, and singable by many people who don't even play guitar. Slash's style is not something you can learn, unlike the Yngwie, BBF clones you see on the internet. Unless your a dedicated fan of these guys, most casual music listeners would never be able to distinguish who it is. The majority of causal music listeners would probably identify Slash if they were played one of his songs.

I would love to hear Slash's take on any of Axl's new songs. My guess, is they would be better and more memorable than what they are now.

• Like 1

I sort of like that Axl didn't try to replace Slash, he just did something different. You can hear elements of GNR from UYI or even AFD on CD but it's played in a different style(s). The feel of CD isn't so guitar oriented. it's more percussive. Drums, strings, vocals, solo. When I listened to the multi-tracks, the guitar track is often just underscoring the piano and vocals.

I sort of like that Axl didn't try to replace Slash, he just did something different. You can hear elements of GNR from UYI or even AFD on CD but it's played in a different style(s). The feel of CD isn't so guitar oriented. it's more percussive. Drums, strings, vocals, solo. When I listened to the multi-tracks, the guitar track is often just underscoring the piano and vocals.

The music is centered around Axl. The songs are guitar oriented songs for the most part. A song like Better was rumored to be written around Robin's solo. Twat has a 2 minute guitar outro that is an important part of the song and the album and is probably the peak of the song. I guess the "feel" of it is Axl's melodies and lyrics. They seem to drive everything, even if I know that Axl said the music was written first, so he would have no choice but to come up with lyrics and melodies that were at least as good as the music.

What is guitar oriented anyway? Chinese has a fuckload of guitars on it, but Axl is Axl. Piano and shit.

Edited by Rovim