R.I.P. Jim Hellwig-The Ultimate Warrior

Subtle Signs

Guest Len B'stard

Yeah, he was built as fuck, especially in that 89 period he was sick. Gotta love the Papa Shango storyline with the fuckin' black cack that suddenly started appearing running down people faces, that was hilarious :lol:

Love this video!

Wow seriously WWE has been getting away with too many deaths and this is just awful he had two daughters. Smh that's fucked up.

Dude WWE has nothing to do with this really, he hasn't wrestled for them since 1996 and his Hall of Fame induction this weekend was his first involvement with them since that.

• Like 1

I don't understand why people are saying he didn't look good on RAW. If anything, he looked too good for a man of his age. I suspect that may have been the problem; that he couldn't give up having a physique (so he put his body through work-outs his heart wasn't able for, and probably availed of HGH).

Probably one of the most intense guys to ever be part of the business.

Edited by NGOG

'Intense', yesss :lol:

Clearly you are critical of his politics etc. - but you cannot dispute that the guy was scarily intense.

I dunno, for a 54 year old he didn't look great.

I'm talking his physique more than anything.

The only thing I was concerned about on RAW was that he limped to the ring.

My personal opinion is his heart gave out like Savage's did, going further than that I think he knew he was sick and he repaired his bridges with WWE before he passed.

His comments about sweating alot, being gassed just walking to the ring and doing the ropes, how slowly he moved and shooting down the possibility of one last match at the HOF saying it's not possible point towards heart disease. I might be adding 2 and 2 and getting 5, but it points towards it being a contributing factor. Guess we will have to wait until the autopsy.

Edited by Tater Totts

Physique yeah, but then - realistically, had probably used roids etc. - and then kept on working out...

There's no way he kept that physique from just working out...

Taking steroids at a certain point in your life doesn't permanently heighten your testosterone levels. In fact, they make treatments like hormone replacement more necessary than for the average person.

My personal opinion is his heart gave out like Savage's did, going further than that I think he knew he was sick and he repaired his bridges with WWE before he passed.

His comments about sweating alot, being gassed just walking to the ring and doing the ropes, how slowly he moved and shooting down the possibility of one last match at the HOF saying it's not possible point towards heart disease. I might be adding 2 and 2 and getting 5, but it points towards it being a contributing factor. Guess we will have to wait until the autopsy.

Just speculation, but I would say he suffered from an enlarged heart and the stress of being part of the business again caused a heart attack.

That's not WWE's fault, it's just in Warrior's nature to be intense at everything he does.

Edited by NGOG
  • Like 1

Physique yeah, but then - realistically, had probably used roids etc. - and then kept on working out...

There's no way he kept that physique from just working out...

Taking steroids at a certain point in your life doesn't permanently heighten your testosterone levels. In fact, they make treatments like hormone replacement more necessary than for the average person.

Oh I know that... I didn't just want to blatantly say it :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

Clearly you are critical of his politics etc. - but you cannot dispute that the guy was scarily intense.

No I'm just sort of like...with a broader perspective looking at the term 'intense'. I hear it about a lot of people, Henry Rollins is 'intense', Ted Nugent is 'intense', Warrior was 'intense'. I'm having a lot of dealings in my life at the moment with a guy, through work, who is also very 'intense', very into bodybuilding, cut to the chase type thing and it's kind of made me question the meaning of that word in relation to people. I've come to wonder whether it's just another way of saying someones a dickhead. Have you ever met someone that you'd consider 'intense'? Whats your take on that sort of person?
Also, to be clear, I don't particularly care for his politics but i don't dislike him for them, i found him to be a bit of a twit is all, i don't dislike him at all, he was so nonsensical that it's difficult to really dislike someone like that. Was a huge fan as a kid, loved wrestling and he was my favorite wrestler but lets face it, by all accounts the guy was a complete tool. Even in this thread I have yet to see someone say something about him thats like...good. That you could look at and say 'wow, what a cool guy'.
What did he actually really achieve, what parts of his personality were nice or cool or even interesting? He was a wrestler that got really popular and was groomed for success but ultimately flopped within about 5 or 6 years because he wanted to rule the fucking world. All these wrestlers now coming out in tribute are on youtube ripping the shit out of him, even going so far in some instances as saying that the guy was almost completely lacking in merit. WWE, the organisation now stroking him off fought him in caught, actively waged a campaign to make a fool of him.
Since then he's been doing pretty much jackshit. I think he tried to do some kinda vague political thing there and made an absolute fool of himself, by the end of his life he seemed to be just writing his really right wing blog and looking like he was trying to make a bit of money, as if he was hard up, these motivational videos he was selling, personalised ones, for 300 dollars a pop that just involved him basically ranting at you, or selling these really naff doodles he made as his Warrior art...that no one bought :lol:
He seemed to me like a thoroughly unpleasant man who had a fair bit of potential in his chosen field but sort of made his own bed and was confined to it until the end.
I love the guy though, he's one of my go-to things when I want an instant laugh...and I don't mean that in a cruel way, I really do think, looking back, his Ultimate Warrior character was hilairious. With the advent of youtube i can look back at all these old interviews that used to wow me when i was 8 years old, where he's ranting and barking and raving about 'parts unknown' and 'the normals' and all that weird stuff that i thought was like, REALLY intense and exciting and vibrant as a kid...and realise that the guy, in the words of Mean Gene, 'couldn't do an interview. He would just rant and rave and look up at the sky!' :lol:
He's almost like a Purple Aki-esque curiosity to me, you get the feeling that somewhere along the line he kinda took that Ultimate Warrior character kinda too seriously. Used to have a really cool comic book of his called The Ultimate Warriors Workout!
Edited by sugaraylen

I'm talking about his physique in later life - as a middle aged man. He strenuously denied taking steroids beyond the mid-90s, but I seriously doubt it.

In short, no Lenny, "intense" is not just a polite way of labeling somebody a dickhead. It refers to somebody that invests the very core of their person in everything they do. They're wired differently, and people call them dickheads because they don't understand it. They thrive for optimum performance in every activity they partake in, which shouldn't necessarily be criticized.

Edited by NGOG
  • Like 1