How hard is it to learn to drive a stick if you are older?

SunnyDRE

Age shouldn't be a problem, if you're a competent driver with an auto then you'll pick it up. My parents started driving auto last year at 50 and picked it up ok.

What I mean about age, is I'm so set in my ways....when it comes to driving.

Age shouldn't be a problem, if you're a competent driver with an auto then you'll pick it up. My parents started driving auto last year at 50 and picked it up ok.

As long as you point it in the right direction then it should come easily. Just pay for a couple of lessons with a qualified instructor until you get the hang of it. My wife did fine on her first lesson in a manual over here after over 20 years of driving an auto in the US and she had to do it on the wrong side of the road too. Of course what she did afterwards when the instructor had gone I'm not divulging. :lol:

You hardly ever used to see an auto in this part of Europe either, but that seems to be changing now, with hybrid cars and all that. I've never driven an auto, but our next car (if we ever buy one) will most likely be auto. It's much easier, isn't it ? Traffic is so busy here, and it's a pain to drive a manual in a traffic-jam. That would be the main reason. With busy traffic and traffic lights all over the place, we constantly have to stop, start, accelerate, brake, stop, start...

My mother drove an auto for almost 20 years, then went back to manual. She did fine, after the first few hiccups ;)

As long as you point it in the right direction then it should come easily. Just pay for a couple of lessons with a qualified instructor until you get the hang of it. My wife did fine on her first lesson in a manual over here after over 20 years of driving an auto in the US and she had to do it on the wrong side of the road too. Of course what she did afterwards when the instructor had gone I'm not divulging. :lol:
I'm thinking something sexual but that would make no fuckin sense :lol:

I've been wanting to do it for sometime myself but I've never gotten round to it so put me in the same basket as the OP.

Guest Len B'stard

Actually you fucking smug mound of festering northern compost my bans over this month so nyaaaahhhh :lol:

Cant believe its been 3 years already.

Guest Len B'stard

Uh, i had a bit to drink (a bottle of vodka) and smacked into a cabbie at the lights who rammed into the copper in front of em, the actual charge was 'refusal to provide a specimen'...there was something to do with kicking off with coppers in there too. Oh yeah and they found a draw in my pack of fags but i managed to blag that one. Had previous for it so they gave me a three year ban.

Cant get my lisence back until i can do a medical as well...which im putting off cuz i dont wanna stop blazing...or rather havent got round to it yet.

• Like 1

Uh, i had a bit to drink (a bottle of vodka) and smacked into a cabbie at the lights who rammed into the copper in front of em, the actual charge was 'refusal to provide a specimen'...there was something to do with kicking off with coppers in there too. Oh yeah and they found a draw in my pack of fags but i managed to blag that one. Had previous for it so they gave me a three year ban.

Cant get my lisence back until i can do a medical as well...which im putting off cuz i dont wanna stop blazing...or rather havent got round to it yet.

You're such a fucking rascal. I love it! :thumbsup:

Guest Len B'stard

Didn't the police claim you totalled it and gave him whiplash or something?!

Nah the cabbie did though, was suing me for 17,000, insurance settled on 10. Insurance werent valid either cuz it had a clause that they wouldnt insure me for booze related incidents so im waiting for a comeback on that.

They started driving auto at 50? I'm assuming you mean that they were driving manual before that and then switched to auto. Driving an auto car is a breeze. There's nothing to think about whatsoever, but with a manual car there's a lot to get used to. You get a feel for it eventually, you know when you're going to rev the fuck out the engine or when you're close to stalling it. That's a lot to take in if you're used to automatic cars and have never experienced the nuances of a manual.

To the OP, I imagine if you REALLY want the car and also WANT to learn how to drive a manual you won't find it too bad. At this point in time you already have your road rules down pat, so all you have to focus on is what's going on in the car. I leant how to drive in a manual and went for my licence in a manual. At that point in time not only was I getting used to the feeling of driving a manual but I wasn't used to driving on the roads, had no experience in traffic and it was all pretty nerve wracking. If all you have to worry about is getting the hang of changing gears, you'll be fine. Drive it for a few days in an empty carpark and listen to the engine, feel the acceleration you get from changing at the right time. It's actually a really enjoyable and satisfying experience if you derive any enjoyment from driving at all. :)

Guest Len B'stard

Yeah no shit, no insurer would cover you for drink driving.

They would've ordinarily its just because i had previous it was written into my policy as a clause.

You're such a fucking rascal. I love it! :thumbsup:
Fuckin idiot more like, spent the night in a cell, done myself out of three years driving, set my life back as a result really in that you've so much more oppertunity when you're mobile, got a potential 10,000 hit waiting for me AND my insurance is gonna be ridiculously high. It sounds very Keith Moon written down but its fuckin pathetic really, thats my feeling.

Still, doesn't do to dwell on these things, onwards and upwards as the saying goes :)

Edited by sugaraylen
  • Like 2

Didn't the police claim you totalled it and gave him whiplash or something?!

Nah the cabbie did though, was suing me for 17,000, insurance settled on 10. Insurance werent valid either cuz it had a clause that they wouldnt insure me for booze related incidents so im waiting for a comeback on that.

Ouch. That's pretty harsh, but the rules are the rules and there's nowhere to go if you really have been drinking. I learnt a big lesson last week when I was driving home from work after a few drinks with friends and was pulled up by a random booze bus. I felt totally fine and actually went into the test with absolute confidence as I had driven previously feeling a lot more drunk than I felt at that moment, and had passed a breath test fine. This time however I had a minor heart attack when the policeman asked for my licence after I'd taken the test. His expression was one of concern. He then said I was just under the limit and had to check my licence to make sure I wasn't on any restrictions. I wasn't. Since I was 'just under' I was free to go but I was stunned. I had actually driven in the past feeling a bit drunk and had been breath tested and was under the limit, but this time I didn't feel any affect of alcohol whatsoever and was apparently just under the legal limit of 0.05. :o

Going to buy a personal breath test device, but clearly your 'senses' can't be trusted.

Guest Len B'stard

You're only a skinny little thing too so probably like, you don't assimilate alcohol all that quickly, i mean there ain't a lot to ya so lesser amounts probably don't get like...whats the word i'm looking for? You know what I mean, big fuckers soak it up :lol: