Can someone from the UK please explain this to me...

downzy

I was at the gym the other day and on the sports channel they had British darts. I never really paid attention to darts programs before, and I couldn't get over the audience for these kinds of events. There is literally nothing like this in North America. I could never imagine going with friends to watch someone else play darts.

So what is it about darts that makes British people go nuts? Are people that into the activity (sorry, can't call it a sport) or do people show up more just to drink? The production values were amazing; with dart players being treated to intros that one sees in boxing matches. Are there dart groupies?

I mean, it's fucking darts! I don't get it.

Guest Len B'stard

The reason they go nuts is cuz they're all pissed :lol: Look at that picture, they're holding pints, the lot of em. And thats pretty much it, they get fuckin' heavily inebriated and watch this shit and...thats about it really :lol: I agree though Downz, fuckin' stupid innit, it's like snooker, i remember this interview with Nirvana when they came over here and Kurt was like, you lot watch Snooker on the telly and like, were just taking the piss out of it and I agree, how can you watch that shit, it's like a person to person thing, it's not really a spectator sport like that...and they treat it like such nail biting shit.

Edited by sugaraylen

The reason they go nuts is cuz they're all pissed :lol: Look at that picture, they're holding pints, the lot of em. And thats pretty much it, they get fuckin' heavily inebriated and watch this shit and...thats about it really :lol: I agree though Downz, fuckin' stupid innit, it's like snooker, i remember this interview with Nirvana when they came over here and Kurt was like, you lot watch Snooker on the telly and like, were just taking the piss out of it and I agree, how can you watch that shit, it's like a person to person thing, it's not really a spectator sport like that...and they treat it like such nail biting shit.

I don't know, I quite like watching snooker, when it's experts playing of course, there are some really impressive plays. Never for too long though, it gets boring after about half an hour. I don't get watching darts though...

I mean, I'm psyched to watch The Masters this weekend, so I guess I don't have much of a leg to stand on since golf isn't much of a sport and is an individual activity. But I'd argue there's much more drama and dynamism in golf versus darts, in that there many different types of golf shots, different lies, different courses... With darts, it's the same damn thing over and over again. And from the little I've seen, it's generally fat old guys who are the stars. Do little British kids have posters of these weird looking dudes on their walls at home? It's all so strange to me.

I don't know, I quite like watching snooker, when it's experts playing of course, there are some really impressive plays. Never for too long though, it gets boring after about half an hour. I don't get watching darts though...

Yeah, I agree. I can watch a 9 ball tournament for a bit, but definitely not something I'd go see in person.

Darts is the British version of baseball.

I thought cricket was the British version of baseball (or is it baseball is the American version of cricket)?

Yeah, I agree. I can watch a 9 ball tournament for a bit, but definitely not something I'd go see in person.

Darts is the British version of baseball.

I thought cricket was the British version of baseball (or is it baseball is the American version of cricket)?

Nah, baseball's the American version of rounders which only women play over here. :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

Darts is the dogs bollocks tho innit?

Shut it you! You didn't know what that meant until yesterday you cuntbag! :lol:

I'm gonna remind you of this the next time you say 'y'all', witcha fat white ass :lol:

Darts is the dogs bollocks tho innit?

Shut it you! You didn't know what that meant until yesterday you cuntbag! :lol:

Don't rain on my parade just because i've learned a few new words for my vocab :(

:lol:

Bollocks is one of the greatest words ever! :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

Fun fact: London is the place rappers are most likely to get robbed :D Thought I'd throw that random completely unrelated fact into this thread in an attemp to make myself look hard by association (even though i don't even live in London, gosh, this is going well, isn't it? :lol:). I find that statistic to be absolutely ridiculous.

So all these rappers from places like Watts, Compton, all these dodgy manors in New York like Queens and all that, The Bronx...then Detroit, fuck me, if what i hear is accurate that place is like the wild west...and these boys gotta come to London to get robbed?!?!

The list really is long though, Ja Rule got robbed her, Dame Dash got robbed and battered, Jay Z i believe early on had some trouble here, A$Ap, The Game...i know, seems ridiculous to me.

Note to self: Hard people don't say 'gosh' :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

LOOOL darts haha, why are they robbed in london?

Because there's a lot of idiots in London...and some of them are decidedly unfriendly.

Guest Len B'stard

Because there's a lot of idiots in London...and some of them are decidedly unfriendly.

O my, going to London this summer :nervous:

Dont worry, they're hardly gonna bother some random tourist and also they are only really an issue if you move in those sorts of circles :)

In my experience the boys I used to know who are now grown men into darts in a big way are those that would stay up drinking way past everyone else and were fond of competitive games such as how many coins can you flip into a cup in succession or if I throw this paper into the bin from two metres away you have to buy me a beer.

Sorry for the mega sentence, reading back it lacks commas. :-D

• Like 1

Dont worry, they're hardly gonna bother some random tourist and also they are only really an issue if you move in those sorts of circles :)

I really thought london was pretty safe

I'm not really worried. And if need be, I have a strong husband ;)