UN Climate Report Charts Ways to Halt Global Warming

Ace Nova

Can you provide evidence that it's not the same scientists?

Of course. But that would take me a lot of time and since it was you who started by claiming they are the same scientists the burden of proof lies with you.

Okay so the huge majority of scientists insist that human activity is one of the reasons (I noticed you downgraded your stance from "significant" to "one of") for the observed climate changes now resulting in the 29% increase of ocean covered in ice. Got it. :thumbsup:

I didn't say anything about the fluctuations of ice coverage. That is your hang up. Do you really think that because the Arctic ice grows by 29 % somehow means the scientists are wrong in their observations that we are experiencing global warming? ;) No on has claimed the ice caps will diminish each and every year. Global warming doesn't mean that each place on Earth will have a steady increase in temperature. Actual measurements show a fluctuating graph that on a longer time-scale (not form year to year) gets higher. Do you understand this? Arguing against global warming because region X now has colder temperature than normal just demonstrates ignorance. And I haven't even started to talk about how changes in ocean currents may cause big local changes in climate resulting in some areas becoming colder than before the climate changes occurred.

Here are the measurements:

800px-Global_Temperature_Anomaly.svg.png

Am I seriously seeing non-experts arguing with the scientists that have spent large portions of their life working on this stuff?.. :facepalm:

It is a credit to an almost amazing confidence and belief in oneself or, on the other hand, an indication of blatant ignorance, when non-experts believe they have come across some startling insight or idea that have somehow eluded the thousands of experts who have spent their professional lives studying something and which completely ruins those experts' conclusions and theories. Do they really believe that they have come up with some completely novel idea or evidence and that the scientific communities will go "Oh! Why didn't I think of that!"? Or do they genuinely believe all these experts are too stupid to think about the same things that just popped into their heads? Or do they fail to comprehend that if it really is a valid observation or idea that it isn't already implemented in the scientists models and thus accounted for?

Examples of such are the idea that since it has been colder where I live this year global warming must be a conspiracy (neglecting the fact that global warming is an average, long-term trend allowing for local variations and deviations; the growing ice caps is a variation of this); and that random mutations can't cause possibly cause complexity on the scale of the human brain and therefore evolution is wrong (disregarding the fact that random mutations are followed by non-random natural selection).

A more ominous explanation is of course the startlingly wide-spread belief that scientists are paid to ignore contradictory observations and evidence, which displays a severe lack of understanding how science works and how many independent scientists across the globe is involved in the task of putting together the various pieces of the puzzles that form such vast fields as "climate research", and a failure to understand how motivating it is to scientists to be able to publish results that go against the grain (in many cases much more motivating than money). Do they really believe it is just a matter of paying off a few dozen researchers in, say, US and UK?

These explanations are pretty spot on....I'm in a heated debate with some "denialists" on another message board...and since I can't explain it like you can....I'm going to "copy and paste" this - quoting you, of course...;)

Hope you don't mind. :D

• Like 1

It all depends on which scientists you believe.

More than 95 % of climate scientists agree that human activity is a significant cause to the observed climate changes. So yeah, you could choose to only talk to the small minority, but that wouldn't be right of you.

The real question is not whether humans are having an effect on climate change, but rather whether our contribution is significant enough to warrant concern.

It all depends on which scientists you believe.

More than 95 % of climate scientists agree that human activity is a significant cause to the observed climate changes. So yeah, you could choose to only talk to the small minority, but that wouldn't be right of you.

The real question is not whether humans are having an effect on climate change, but rather whether our contribution is significant enough to warrant concern.

Without having read the last IPCC report I believe that is one the main conclusions and that a large part of the report is set aside for what we should do to reduce our interference with the climate.