Where's the centre/center of where you're from? (& how far are you located from it)?

Snake-Pit

Apparently, according to almighty Wikipedia, it's Charing Cross.

Whatever neighbourhood I look up on wikipedia it always goes "is x amount of miles 'whatever direction' of Charing Cross."

This road I know too well - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charing_Cross_Road

Charing Cross Road is a street in central London running immediately north of St Martin-in-the-Fields to St Giles Circus (the intersection with Oxford Street) and then becomes Tottenham Court Road. It is so called because it serves Charing Cross railway station (named for the nearby Charing Cross).

Where I live - Thornton Heath is a district of south London, England, in the London Borough of Croydon. It is situated 7.2 miles south-southeast of Charing Cross.

It was Goggling Palmers Green and finding - Palmers Green is a place in the London Borough of Enfield. It is a suburban area 7.6 miles north of Charing Cross, and is in London N13. Just now that made me curious on this central point where all other locations are measured from.

I wonder, does the place where you live have a recognised centre and what is the centre of where you live called (if you do) and, how far are you from it?

.... I mean....

What is the location that's marked as the center of Detroit?/Groningen?

I know Philadelphia has a place called Center City and.... Willow Grove is 14 miles north of that, but, I'm not sure if Willow Grove is in Philadelphia?.. (I actually don't think it's in the city limits).

London seems to have Charing Cross.

I wonder, does the place where you live have a recognised centre and what is the centre of where you live called (if you do) and, how far are you from it?

Yeah, the place where I live has a market with a big statue in center. It is called Torget. I live about 7 km from Torget.

• Like 1

Man_zps344d945c.jpg

It's the bit with the arrow on the right near the noofter's sauna. :lol:

You'd love a steamed woofter during your lunch break wouldn't you? :lol:
Bit like this one eh? :lol: That ain't an explosion it's steam. :lol:

D0659D85-4BD0-4A45-AC17-308D7E630A51_zps

That's my gaff in the right behind Captain America! :lol:

Edited by Dazey

What, so Captain America's fighting for a bunch of fuckin Mancs now? :lol:

They use my street a fair bit for filming cuz it looks a lot like parts of New York etc. They used it as the Brooklyn set for the first Captain America movie and they're filming something or other today apparently.

I've heard of Charing Cross; I saw the railway station (and just assumed it was that), but according to this map, it's the Underground Station; Who'd a thought it?

Charing Cross Road and Leicester Square and Soho is my part of Central London; pretty much... Tottenham Court Road and that side of Oxford Street, near Denmark Street.

Yesterday I ran from Charing Cross Station (the railway one) to Denmark Street.

The London Marathon was yesterday and my bus got diverted; it usually goes over Westminster Bridge and turns right on Whitehall to get me to Trafalgar Square... Due to the diversion the bus ended up going over Waterloo Bridge and going down Strand and going to Trafalgar Square that way outside Charing Cross... I ran from there to Denmark Street... It's really a couple of blocks away, like a 5 minute run.

I just Googled Centre of London and hey presto Auto-Correct gives me Charing Cross;

charingcrossstreetview_zpsb562f53a.png

At least I can pin point where, now. lol

^

Edited by Snake-Pit