Where's the centre/center of where you're from? (& how far are you located from it)?

Snake-Pit

I think Snake-Pit had been wondering for a while what the center of London is, he finally thought to google it, found out it was Charing Cross, found that particularly fascinating and felt the uncontrollable urge to share this new revelation with someone, anyone, and couldn't think of any better way to do so than make a thread to ask what the center of your city is.

• Like 2

I think Snake-Pit had been wondering for a while what the center of London is, he finally thought to google it, found out it was Charing Cross, found that particularly fascinating and felt the uncontrollable urge to share this new revelation with someone, anyone, and couldn't think of any better way to do so than make a thread to ask what the center of your city is.

Close. I always saw Charing Cross as a place where they measured other place's distance from; I just never knew where they kept it, exactly.

Close. I always saw Charing Cross as a place where they measured other place's distance from; I just never knew where they kept it, exactly.

You never knew where they kept what? The station?

You never knew where they kept what? The station?

Yeah. I found the station last February *hides and today found out it was the Underground bit.

I live in a tiny Victorian town in Central Pennsylvania, and I live maybe three or four blocks away from the town's center, which in the case of my town is the courthouse.

As far as where I work, I'm literally a matter of minutes away from the main campus of Penn State University.

I wonder, does the place where you live have a recognised centre and what is the centre of where you live called (if you do) and, how far are you from it?

Yeah, the place where I live has a market with a big statue in center. It is called Torget. I live about 7 km from Torget.

I have to be a little more precise about my previous answer. "Torget" is the tourist centre of my city. If we are talking about the financial centre, on the other hand, then that would be about 250 meter further east, resulting in me living about 7,3 km away from the centre. But if we are thinking about the commercial centre of the city, that would be about 130 meters north-east of Torget, distancing me to about 7,1 km away. The nightlife centre of the city is, on the other hand (how many hands do we have?), located about 300 meters straight north of Torget. Pytagoras tells me that that pushes me about 7,2 km away from the centre (not really, I couldn't bother calculating it). In addition, since we are in Norway, the whaling centre of my city, or "blubbertown", is located about 400 meters due north-west. We shouldn't forget the historical centre of the city, which, in my layman opinion, lies about 400 meters directly east of Torget. Lastly we have the geographic centre of the city, which, according to my insufficient understanding of local geography and laziness which prevents me from looking at a map (yet curiously enough doesn't prevent me from going on and on about his), lies about 400 meters to the north-east, pushes me back to about 7,4 km away. So it really depends on which centres we talk about.

• Like 1

I wonder, does the place where you live have a recognised centre and what is the centre of where you live called (if you do) and, how far are you from it?

Yeah, the place where I live has a market with a big statue in center. It is called Torget. I live about 7 km from Torget.

I have to be a little more precise about my previous answer. "Torget" is the tourist centre of my city. If we are talking about the financial centre, on the other hand, then that would be about 250 meter further east, resulting in me living about 7,3 km away from the centre. But if we are thinking about the commercial centre of the city, that would be about 130 meters north-east of Torget, distancing me to about 7,1 km away. The nightlife centre of the city is, on the other hand (how many hands do we have?), located about 300 meters straight north of Torget. Pytagoras tells me that that pushes me about 7,2 km away from the centre (not really, I couldn't bother calculating it). In addition, since we are in Norway, the whaling centre of my city, or "blubbertown", is located about 400 meters due north-west. We shouldn't forget the historical centre of the city, which, in my layman opinion, lies about 400 meters directly east of Torget. Lastly we have the geographic centre of the city, which, according to my insufficient understanding of local geography and laziness which prevents me from looking at a map (yet curiously enough doesn't prevent me from going on and on about his), lies about 400 meters to the north-east, pushes me back to about 7,4 km away. So it really depends on which centres we talk about.

You fucking hick. :lol:

The admin tells us we shouldn't disclose where we live because there are crazies at the forum. Uh-oh.

With your elaborate response, I'll be able to locate you in no time. Just have to look up where Torget is located in Norway :lol: Should be easy.

The admin tells us we shouldn't disclose where we live because there are crazies at the forum. Uh-oh.

With your elaborate response, I'll be able to locate you in no time. Just have to look up where Torget is located in Norway :lol: Should be easy.

Not really. I was more than inaccurate in both the distances and directions I provided, as well as just making some of the stuff up. So hah hah!

I did realize that I don't really come from this city, I just live here, now. The picture below shows where I actually come from (roughly in the epicentre of the red circle) whereas my house is located more or less in the epicentre of the blue circle. The distance between is about 904 km.

Utennavn-19.png

Not really. I was more than inaccurate in both the distances and directions I provided, as well as just making some of the stuff up. So hah hah!

I did realize that I don't really come from this city, I just live here, now. The picture below shows where I actually come from (roughly in the epicentre of the red circle) whereas my house is located more or less in the epicentre of the blue circle. The distance between is about 904 km.

Utennavn-19.png

That's crazy! I actually live not that far away from you. If you look closely, you can see my place on your map! Small world, I guess.

Utennavn-19.png

That's crazy! I actually live not that far away from you. If you look closely, you can see my place on your map! Small world, I guess.

Hey, that's cool! We should meet up for a hot chocolate one day.

• Like 1

The admin knows that all kinds of people lurk on the internet, with all sorts of strange obsessions and fantasies.

The less personally identifiable information you put out there on a public website, the better.

Utennavn-19.png

I'm in both circles, too :headbang:

Utennavn-19.png

I'm in both circles, too :headbang:

Okay, see you guys tomorrow at noon at the café on Torget then :lol:

I have no fucking idea what 'dead centre' of Melbourne is, nor do I care. The only thing that qualifies as the 'centre of Melbourne' for me is Bourke St Mall. It's got all the shops I need: Zara, H&M and department stores David Jones and Myer. Plus it's a pedestrian mall so I won't get hit by a car when I'm busy shopping. That's pretty important to me.

I live about 20 minutes drive from there. Depending on the traffic. It could easily take 45 if its peak hour.