Super Duper Alice Cooper

Zint

I'm definitely interested, especially if it's going to focus on the original band and the early solo years

This is why I really want to see it. Unfortunately its playing in New Jersey while I'm in Boston and playing in Boston when I'm in NJ! I'll have to catch it at a later date but it looks great.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so, I went in to this screening with a few concerns, I was worried that it was going to be Alice sitting in a chair (hopefully not holding a whip or something) and spinning the usual yarns we've heard a million times.

It was nothing like that, I think Sam Dunn and Scott McFadyen were aware of such scenarios and wisely went in a completely different direction.

It is presented much like Crossfire Hurricane was, you hear the voices but don't see the faces, it's all driven by imagery and the music.

They refer to this project as a doc-opera. ok :shrugs:

I see what they mean by that though, it's the telling of the Alice Cooper story with pathos, tragedy, redemption driven by imagery.

The whole docu is told through photos, clips, enhanced motion-photos (or whatever the actual term might be) and dialogue.
It was quite an interesting approach and made for a very compelling, immersive experience.
It drew you in to what was unfolding on the screen and made you feel like you were apart of it. It's really well done.
They use Jekyll and Hyde movie imagery as metaphors throughout and it works perfectly. It might sound corny but the way they infused it was perfect.

After the screening, there was a Q+A that took place live at the theatre of the Toronto screening, Sam, Scott, and a third director whose name escapes me were there, as was Alice.
They mentioned that they went to Alice's house about 10 times to interview him. Alice joked that he wound up answering the door and screaming "what more do you want from me?".
But all those visits paid off. They got Alice to drop his guard and tell a truly heartbreaking tale of the lowest points in his life, unlike he's ever told it before.

Alice said that once he started opening up honestly to these guys, in a frank, honest, to the bone manner, he couldn't just reveal some truths and leave others out, it was like the floodgates opened. It's really nothing the fans don't know, but man, the details he goes in to is harsh.

On an up note, the Alice Cooper group years is just fantastic, it's the best assembled display and account I've seen yet. And a few clips I've never seen before.

Just utterly fantastic. Dennis Dunaway is featured a great deal and god damn he comes off as cool as I've always thought he was.
I've just never seen the AC group presented quite like this before and it will be my go to docu from now on when it comes out.

The docu ends appropriately (and wisely) where it should..Oct. 31 1986.

That was another one of my concerns, about half an hour would be the AC group and then Alice steering it in the direction of a promo for the metal years leading up to the latest tour.
Not so, It deals extensively with the rise, then moves on to the initial success of the solo career and then the decline and ultimate bottoming out crash and ultimate redemption, and also explains why Alice came back as a metal act.

What was intriguing is they went beyond just a standard docu, they made you understand that underneath all that madness was a human being and how much a mere mortal could and should endure physically, emotionally and psychologically....and how much he could not and should not. It was hilarious at times and utterly heartbreaking at others.

I'm not sure if they will replay the q+a after future screenings but stick around just in case. Alice makes a couple of gafs in the interview.

In the docu, they present the ouija board story spelling out the name Alice Cooper as having actually happened...as told by Neal Smith, in the interview afterwards, Alice forgets it's in the movie and answers an audience question by saying, the ouija board never happened it's just a great story that we stuck with.

oops

This one isn't a spoiler really, but..in the q+a Alice says "I wanted to go up to Seattle and take all those bands to Disneyland for the day "what's wrong with you guys?".

Shortly afterwards the host of the q+a announce that Sam and Scott's next project is Soundgarden. :lol:

Oh and...they are also doing a project on Black Sabbath. :headbang:

...and one on Satan :devilshades:

It's really well done, if you have the opportunity to see this in the theatre in the coming week, I would recommend it. Die hards...it's a must!

It's not a year by year factoid whitewash, it delves much deeper than that...far deeper.

I thoroughly enjoyed it.
  • Like 2

The good thing is that there's a lot of existing footage for all those bands, but it sounded like the hard part is the hours they have to sift through as well as get them to open up more.

It just seemed like Alice had this great career in hard rock then something went wrong.

Really looking forward to the Soundgarden one and the Sabbath one (even if they cover the eras I don't exactly care about :tongue2:)

Or maybe you'll learn to appreciate the far superior Dio era ;)

Superior all day and night, also some of the Tony Martin and Gillan stuff definitely puts to shame anything after Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.

• Like 1