Who would you say is the best drummer GNR has played with post-Adler?

I am a fan of Matt, Brain, and Frank however if I had to pick one guy I would probably go with Brain. His version of YCMB aside I think everything else he did was fantastic. Josh Freese was awesome based on what we have heard although considering how little material we have featuring his drumming I can't really pick him without hearing what he would do live.

Matt was good however at times his drums were too heavy and changed some songs like WTTJ into more of a brooding groove as opposed to Adler who kept it up and energetic. He was great on NR, Estranged, YCMB, etc. Frank is solid however Brain can do everything he does anyway.

So my pick is Brain, the dude kicks ass

Edited by WhazUp

My favourite after Adler is Frank... yeah, I know he's the current guy but that doesn't make a difference for me. Powerful, groovy and energetic. I didn't like him playing NV always thought he sped it up but in recent shows he's kept it nice and steady. Josh was cool and he played down some really smooth drum tracks on CD, he's a great drummer. I'm not 100% what brain played on CD but I didn't enjoy his live performances. Matt created some nice drum parts for the illusions albums but overall he seemed like the most "session drummer" type player out of all, he was way too straight and the drum solos he used to do were horrible, Matt it's GnR not metallica, drop the double bass, maybe play a Bonham esque groove? yikes!

Brain, if you can drum with Les Fucking Claypool, you have some incredible skills. Had a great groove and power to match.

Freese? Fucking fantastic and versatile drummer, but I can't judge his GNR performance since he only played on Oh My God. I can't really count him.

Ferrer? Worst drummer GNR has ever had. I don't see how people think he's better than Brain. I don't even see how people think he's better than Matt. I think he's a very watered down version of Sorum. Competent at best.

• Like 1

Brain and Freese are by far the best dummers, followed by Frank and Matt. But it doesn't really matter who's technically or musically the best drummer.

Every drummer on the planet can play what Adler was playing, but he just fit GNR with his sloppyness and groove. Perfect for Appetite. Matt has a very 80s/90s sound to his drumming. A lot of power (he's killing that snaredrum at Mercury tribute). He was good for UYI. Brain was perfect for CD as things started to get a little more advanced... Frank is good at covering what Brain has played, but he's not doing it note for note (he would not be able to). I'd say Frank is closer to Matts' style than Brains'.

My favorite is Brain.

• Like 1

punk groove - adler

precise hard rock - sorum

killer groove, precision - brain

frank - does not work for this band, too much hip hop influence in his playing

freese - doesn't have what brain has.

so..

if i could make a frankendrummer, itll be out of brain/sorum

sorry adler, but brains got more groove :)

Kind of bad when Alder isn't really in the discussion but it is true.

AFD Adler was the perfect drummer, everything was simple and had a groove to it and that was what AFD was all about.

UYI There is NO way Adler could have played the drums for those albums, the music was more complex and really beyond his skill level and he was a fucked up drug head that couldn't even record Civil War, they had to piece his drums together to get a half ass drum track so they could put it on the benefit album.

Sorum was a good fit for UYI but I always thought that Sorum would add unneeded drum parts to make him sound like he was better drummer than he really was, I am not talking just "fill" but it did fit the UYI sound as a whole but I just can't help but think what it would have sounded like if Brain could have layed those drum lines down but he was to young so that couldn't happen.

Brain was more skilled both in the studio and live than anyone ever in GNR as a drummer, he had the whole package unlike Sorum where it sounded "forced" and not natural to the song.

• Like 1

punk groove - adler

precise hard rock - sorum

killer groove, precision - brain

frank - does not work for this band, too much hip hop influence in his playing

freese - doesn't have what brain has.

so..

if i could make a frankendrummer, itll be out of brain/sorum

sorry adler, but brains got more groove :)

Punk groove?

Frank as a hip hop drummer?

you're tone deaf bro

I don't get the praise for Brain

I saw him with the band in 2006 and he was sloppy

He doesn't know how to play properly the old songs though

I still don't get the praise for him

Edited by Crash Diet
  • Like 1

Brain by far, a superb drummer tech and feel. Freese is also a great drummer, but hard to put a tag on his work with GnR. Frank is merely ok, does to job - not nearly as good as Brain.

Matt "Casio2050" Sorum sounded like a drum machine, no feel. Never really liked his playing.