Any snake keepers/breeders here?

tat2d1

I hope to god that's a joke.....cuz if you really think that, no offense, you're an idiot :)

Nope, I was being DEAD serious. It's obvious.

Well...never know....some people really do believe stupid shit like that, so sometimes its hard to tell if a person seriously thinks and believes something like that or if they're just being a smartass. You wouldn't believe some of the stupid shit people have asked me over the years.

I have a Ball Python! Got him from my friend. I didn't want him but my gf likes him. I LOVE snakes (although I prefer lizards) as I am a huge fan of reptiles. I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE mice and rats though so that is a problem lol

I think Rainbow Boas are the most beautiful of "common" pet snakes!

Nice way to stereotype people...seems rather close minded to me, but whatever.....

Sorry if I offended you but I'm sure most people imagine a guy with dodgy facial hair, a pony-tail and greasy skin when they hear the words "snake owner".

That's because you're a pussy owner, you snakeless hooray for tolerance! :trollface:

Nice way to stereotype people...seems rather close minded to me, but whatever.....

Sorry if I offended you but I'm sure most people imagine a guy with dodgy facial hair, a pony-tail and greasy skin when they hear the words "snake owner".

Doesn't really offend me...kinda goes with the territory, because "most people" are ignorant close minded asses that don't understand that all kinds of different people from all walks of life keep these things as pets. The day I worry about what "most people" think is a day that just ain't gonna come :) Edited by tat2d1

Do you ever get attached to the rats you raise?

No

What purpose does it serve to breed snakes?

A couple...1 )there are several different genetic mutations and when you combine them and end up with a snake that displays 2 or more genetic mutations at the same time you start producing some very different and amazing looking stuff,kinda like playing "mad scientist" or something, which leads to reason #2 ) You can then sell the offspring to other collectors and/or breeders and in some cases make some pretty good bank. There are ball pythons that sell for six figures. Last month my daughter and I held 1 of only 2 of the world's only scaleless ball pythons,valued at nearly 250 GRAND! I'll have some snakes in a few years that I'll be able to get a couple grand each. And there's also reason #3 ) its a hobby that a person enjoys

Edited by tat2d1

Do you ever get attached to the rats you raise?

No

Why not? Rats are amazingly clever little creatures.

Because they are nothing more than snake food in my eyes. I have given some to children, one being a nephew of mine, to keep as pets though.

I just held an African Python for the first time at a nature park/zoo over the weekend, with my Dad & Son....pretty cool experience....very docile animal. I had previously "felt" snakes before but never actually held one.

Edit: Just re-read my post....

InB4 Pappy snake/penis reference or gif by Lithium.

Edited by Kasanova King

I don't claim to be an expert on snakes, you probably know what you're doing a lot more than I would, and I know you say they can live in a small boring box like that but do you really feel you're giving them the best life that way? I'd have expected to see something with enrichment like bark, some branches for them to climb on or rocks to hide under, something to keep them active and expressing their natural behaviour.

Again not saying you're being cruel or don't know how to look after them, it just seems to be a 'bare minimum' approach to me :shrugs:

I just held an African Python for the first time at a nature park/zoo over the weekend, with my Dad & Son....pretty cool experience....very docile animal. I had previously "felt" snakes before but never actually held one.

I was scrolling down, and I got to your post and INSTANTLY giggled at "African Python"....and was going to say something, but you cut me off. You cut me off, man! :lol:

• Like 1

I don't claim to be an expert on snakes, you probably know what you're doing a lot more than I would, and I know you say they can live in a small boring box like that but do you really feel you're giving them the best life that way? I'd have expected to see something with enrichment like bark, some branches for them to climb on or rocks to hide under, something to keep them active and expressing their natural behaviour.

Again not saying you're being cruel or don't know how to look after them, it just seems to be a 'bare minimum' approach to me :shrugs:

Ball Pythons aren't climbers or roamers. They spend 90% of their time in a hole or termite mound, curled in a ball sleeping. They are not very active animals. Some people refer to them as the pet rocks of the reptile world. And I addressed this in a previous post in this thread. My setup provides them with proper temps and humidity, which are 2 of the most importnant things for their well being. Been doing this for nearly 30 years...learned from the pros in the business....I know what I'm doing ;)

African Rock Python?? They are beautiful animals....nice that you met a docile one....they aren't all that way.

Ball Pythons aren't climbers or roamers. They spend 90% of their time in a hole or termite mound, curled in a ball sleeping. They are not very active animals. Some people refer to them as the pet rocks of the reptile world. And I addressed this in a previous post in this thread. My setup provides them with proper temps and humidity, which are 2 of the most importnant things for their well being. Been doing this for nearly 30 years...learned from the pros in the business....I know what I'm doing ;)

African Rock Python?? They are beautiful animals....nice that you met a docile one....they aren't all that way.

Actually, I think it may have been a Ball Python....it looked like it had "alien markings"....as the tour guide stated.

Actually, I think it may have been a Ball Python....it looked like it had "alien markings"....as the tour guide stated.

Yeah, it was a Ball Python. Rock Pythons don't have the "alien heads". Most ball pythons are very docile...it's VERY rare to find an aggressive one. Ball Pythons are from West Africa.

Edited by tat2d1