What famous/classic albums have you tried listening to and couldn't finish them because they were so bad?

GivenToFly

Guest Len B'stard

Illmatic is tedious after the first 2 or 3 songs.

Strictly 4 My hooray for tolerance!z by 2Pac sounds like it was recorded using an onion and maybe a potato for overdubs.

Strictlys got that old school production, that Memorex tape sound, that albums sick as fuck.

I tried listening to Joni Mitchell's Blue and I will probably never understand in my life how it's considered one of the greats. I ended up leaving my computer after like half the album to do something else. Nico's Chelsea Girl was much the same, though I don't think that one's held in the same regard.

Even if I don't like an album, I'll listen to it all the way through. I get why people will burn out on an album, or something critically acclaimed was because the critic was doing the artist a favor, like Jann Wenner's done for Yoko and Mick by giving 5 star reviews, because who the hell buys Yoko or Mick Jagger solo records? I actually like the stories of how the album came together more than the album sometime, Some Kind of Monster was making lemonade out of the lemon St Anger was.

Even if I don't like an album, I'll listen to it all the way through. I get why people will burn out on an album, or something critically acclaimed was because the critic was doing the artist a favor, like Jann Wenner's done for Yoko and Mick by giving 5 star reviews, because who the hell buys Yoko or Mick Jagger solo records? I actually like the stories of how the album came together more than the album sometime, Some Kind of Monster was making lemonade out of the lemon St Anger was.

I agree...I should have said that I have listened to Dark Side, The Wall and The Joshua Tree all the way thru but I can't do it.

I've tried many, many times over the years to listen to The Wall all the way thru again but I just can't. Dark Side and The Joshua Tree, the same.

For those particular albums, it's not burn out, it's just that I don't like what I'm hearing to the point that I have to shut it off.

I'm burned out on countless albums, songs, bands....most of them are the classic rock bands. I just cannot listen to most of it anymore

Edited by Sixes

Guest Len B'stard

I tried listening to Joni Mitchell's Blue and I will probably never understand in my life how it's considered one of the greats. I ended up leaving my computer after like half the album to do something else. Nico's Chelsea Girl was much the same, though I don't think that one's held in the same regard.

Chelsea Girl is fantastic man!

AC/DC Back In Black

Led Zep albums

Alice in Chains (one with the dog on the cover, never heard the rest)

Soundgarden (album with Black Hole Sun on it, again, didn't bother after that)

Not saying they're bad, but they didn't elicit any excitement from me even after several listens.

Edited by Towelie

Something that's influenced songwriters and performers is usually an acquired taste. Nico usually gets mentioned more for Desertshore and Marble Index, but I came to that from listening to John Cale's solo albums.

I think Blue touched a lot of people but it was a singer songwriter album, and Carole King's Tapestry was kind of the more commercial version of what she was doing. I think Joni's better albums came in the mid 70s.

Edited by dalsh327

I love Blue, but then I love singer/songwriters like Neil Young, Dylan etc and especially the female ones like Joni, Tori Amos and Kate Bush.

That was the disappointing part for me. I love a lot of singer-songwriters. Neil Young is quite possibly my favorite musician/songwriter ever.