What famous/classic albums have you tried listening to and couldn't finish them because they were so bad?

GivenToFly

I tried listening to the Sex Pistols album and the first side felt like an hour to me. Couldn't suffer through the second side.

Word.

Never Mind The Bollocks is one, I have of course heard the whole thing but fuck I was crestfallen first time around.

Pretty Vacant, God Save The Queen and Submission is about as much Pistols as I can handle.

You have to give shit more time, especially such highly regarded album. You're doing yourself and the music a disservice otherwise.

This. You can't dismiss after only a couple lessons.

If something's shit, it's shit. No amount of essays on the culture of the 70s, the impact of the record, or the surviving legacy, will convince me that Nevermind the Bollocks is anything other than a bunch of drunks making loud, incoherent noise.

• Like 2

You have to give shit more time, especially such highly regarded album. You're doing yourself and the music a disservice otherwise.

If something's shit, it's shit. No amount of essays on the culture of the 70s, the impact of the record, or the surviving legacy, will convince me that Nevermind the Bollocks is anything other than a bunch of drunks making loud, incoherent noise.

I agree with this.

I'm not gonna listen several times to something that I don't like just because someone else thinks it's the shit. Not all music is good, not all music deserves a compulsory listen.

• Like 1

Fine, but I would hope you formed that opinion after giving it at least a few listens. You can't be that definitive about something if you haven't given it a fair shot. I think we've all been in the position before where we didn't like something on first listen and then grew to like it upon subsequent listens.

Fleetwood Mac Rumours

:o

One of my favourite albums. My dad said he gave it to my mum to listen to in the hospital when I was born, that bass in The Chain is probably imprinted on my brain since birth. I tried getting into Tusk, there's a few good tracks but it's nowhere near as good as Rumours for me.

Dark Side of the Moon took a couple of listens for me, went from dismissing it to loving it. I've tried getting through The Wall all in one go on numerous occasions, really think that should have been a single-disc album (obviously not cutting out the classics like Another Brick in the Wall Parts 1, 2 & 3 and Comfortably Numb).

I love The Beatles but Sgt Pepper's as an album isn't really my thing.

Fine, but I would hope you formed that opinion after giving it at least a few listens. You can't be that definitive about something if you haven't given it a fair shot. I think we've all been in the position before where we didn't like something on first listen and then grew to like it upon subsequent listens.

Have you ever listened to a Pitbull's full album? Or is that only applicable to a "highly regarded album"? I mean, from your post, it seemed like you think those praised as much as the Holy Grail albums should be given more shots just because of that precisely sometimes undeserved general praise.

Edited by Thin White Duke
  • Like 1

I can listen to most albums all the way through. One I could not get through was a NIN one, the 2 disc affair with a reddish-greyish blobby front cover. I was on the understanding that it was one of their classics but I could not get past the first disc. Radiohead's Ok Computer is grueling, as is, the rest of their discography. Zeppelin 4 is hard going also.

OK Computer isn't even a "tough" listen, it's accessible as fuck.

Kid A on the other hand...

Yeah, I got into OK Computer and The Bends on the first listen, still not sure if I've properly listened to Kid A or not.

Have you ever listened to a Pitbull's full album? Or is that only applicable to a "highly regarded album"? I mean, from your post, it seemed like you think those praised as much as the Holy Grail albums should be given more shots just because of that precisely sometimes undeserved general praise.

I've never tried to listen to Pitbull, and trying and stopping is what the thread is about. And I've never said anything about Pitbull as far as I'm aware, so I have no idea what you're talking about. And yes, since I can't listen to every album there is, I rely on others somewhat to help filter out the dross, and when lots and lots of people who, I think, have generally gotten things right about music say something is great, I'm gonna give whatever that is an extra listen or two. Outlandish, I know.

can't really listen to full albums, other than CD. maybe the fact it changes styles. I like Hotel California and On the Beach as albums. Black and Blue too. I've listening to Old Sock by Clapton, nice selection of tracks. Band of Joy - Plant also goes on the stereo. Sometimes PJ self titled. White Album also good variety just let it run. Ryan Adams and The Cardinals also. This is My Truth Tell Me Yours - Manic Street Preachers. Hot Cakes by The Darkness is on my iPod.

I've never tried to listen to Pitbull, and trying and stopping is what the thread is about. And I've never said anything about Pitbull as far as I'm aware, so I have no idea what you're talking about. And yes, since I can't listen to every album there is, I rely on others somewhat to help filter out the dross, and when lots and lots of people who, I think, have generally gotten things right about music say something is great, I'm gonna give whatever that is an extra listen or two. Outlandish, I know.

Yeah...especially because the percentage of people pretending or saying they like something popular just precisely because it's popular is vast. I mean, 1 in 3 people lie about having seen The Godfather, I think that it happens something similar with people saying they love certain albums.

I'm not gonna deny that when lot of people praise an album and the typical mainstream magazine gives it 5 stars, I, as a curious person who loves music, probably will take a look. But if after listening to 3/4 of the album I think it's shit... I don't feel like having to finish it. :shrugs: Musical taste evolves through our lives though, so maybe I will get the hype at another time, but I will definitely not give it another try just because the populace says so.

• Like 1

Ok Computer whines and whines and whines. What a bunch of miserable fucks, radiohead are. Music for cider drinking art student wankers.

Zep 4 by the way: it is those duds, 4 sticks, battle of evermore, misty mountain hop. Never has a so called 'classic' album possessed so many duds. And although I am not a Zep fan, Black Dog and Rock and Roll are top draw. But it is them tedious duds. They all seem to hang around too long and have tedious passages of acoustic instrumentals. At least Stairway has the solo to look forward to.

Also I want to add Contraband. It is maybe not a 'classic' but it certainly is considered one of the bigger and better releases of the 00s. Now this album was hard work. Terrible 'numetal' production. No fuckin' Slash solos. Cheesy lyrics.

I would include St Anger and CD but neither album are considered 'classic'. Well, i suppose 'infamous' is the word for those two stinkers haha

Most of Led Zeppelin.

They're pretty shitty with some flashes of absolute brilliance. Thank You, Going to California, both absolutely fantastic songs - some of the best ever, yet most of their catalog is trash.

Arnold Layne how dare you

Aaaaaaaand I suppose most of The Beatles. I like songs here and there but by the time I get to third song on the album I get irritated.

I've never once turned off a "classic" album because it was so bad that I couldn't bear to hear anymore of it. I've listened to mediocre albums without turning them off. Yeezus comes to mind. But even that album has redeeming qualities.

Guest Len B'stard

Nevermind.

So Far So Good So What

Velvet Underground & Nico

I got thru Tommy once, but kind of regret it.

Exile On Main Street

4 of the 5 you've named are stone cold Len favorites, like 10 out of 10, five mice, the baddest of the bad :)

Genesis - Selling England By The Pound / The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

The Who - Tommy / Quadrophenia

Those 4 all have some great songs and are by most standards great albums. Just... not my cup of tea.

Sex Pistols - Nevermind The Bollocks

I'm sorry, but this is just really awful. Sorry Lenny.

Van Halen - Every classic Van Halen Album.

My intense dislike for DLR just ruins it. Eddie is great though.

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

I tried to like this album SO much. I love some of his other stuff. A Kind Of Blue is phenomenal. But this is just... SO incoherent.

Guest Len B'stard

Genesis - Selling England By The Pound / The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

The Who - Tommy / Quadrophenia

Those 4 all have some great songs and are by most standards great albums. Just... not my cup of tea.

Sex Pistols - Nevermind The Bollocks

I'm sorry, but this is just really awful. Sorry Lenny.

Van Halen - Every classic Van Halen Album.

My intense dislike for DLR just ruins it. Eddie is great though.

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

I tried to like this album SO much. I love some of his other stuff. A Kind Of Blue is phenomenal. But this is just... SO incoherent.

I should headbutt you for that Bitches Brew assessment, come on Ron, i expected better from you man :lol: