Chris Cornell's "rasp" versus Axl's, and why his voice hasn't aged

Axl uses about 5 different voices which means only one of them is his natural sounding voice. The others are forced. So, like any comedian imitating a singer, they usually can do it only for a short period of time before it takes a tole. I believe that Cornell always sings with his natural voice and it never strains.

They're my two favorite singers but Cornell's voice has definitely changed but it still strong. I've seen them 3 times within the past 18 months, seeing him again next month. Also, in Axl's defense, when we perform, he's pretty still, not running around, which helps him keep his breath better.

Axl's issue is his breath I think more than the actual voice. Cornell is also in much better shape than Axl, which account for a lot of breath. But when Axl's on, he's fucking on.

Two great singers still.

Ironically, my first ever concert was SG opening for GN'R @ MSG in '91.

I'd say Chris is now at the level Axl was in 2006, as in far below his peak late 80s / early 90s level, but still alright overall, with some good moments. Axl in 2010 was far better than Chris has ever been this century.

LOL. Cornell blows Axl away in every conceivable way at this point and has for many years. Axl has his rare glimpses of greatness, but nothing sustained enough to compare to Cornell whose aged about as well, physically and vocals, as could ever be expected.

Sadly, what separates them is professionalism and drive and this will probably only become more pronounced as they get older...

So, what did he do right that Axl did wrong?

Reunion with his succesful band :lol:

Joking aside. I think Axl lost his rasp mostly, because the lack of touring years, plus his voice is much more unique than Cornell's (although Cornell is in my top 10 rock singers list)

Whatever rasp Axl had, he lost in 2010 with the extremely overusing

His vocal cords probably damaged bad. he still capable to bring out some, but not for full shows, only a handful of songs.

Plus Axl is NOT aged well. Plus Chris Cornell hasn't got one of the biggest b®andname in the earth unlike Axl with the new album anticipation of the decade

Cornells voice has most definitely changed. He's in the same boat as axl and all the guys that had gruff in their voices when they were young. When you get old you can't do that shit anymore plain n simple.

The guys that had clean vocals are able to still do it up in age. Vince Neil is one that still sounds the same for the most part when he isn't letting the crowd do all the singing for him.

How about ian Gillan? He completely lost his screams (which is totally understandable)

Vince is shit for the last 10 years though, that's why he let the crowd do his own job...

The only example that i can think based on your statement is Glenn Hughes. That guy still can capable to bring out his youth voice. Steven Tyler is almost a good example too