Holy shit! Prince is releasing his new album with WARNER BROS and is opening the vault / doing remasters

Towelie

It was hard to keep up with what he was doing last year with all the live shows going on and new music, but it was the most accessible he's ever been, now he's having people come to Paisley Park almost every weekend.

It wasn't that long ago where he was getting hammered in the news about not paying his bills.

He really does need to get the NPG era catalog out there as much as he does need to reissue the Warners back catalog.

Yes.

I like it. It wasn't hugely popular with the fans, but I thought it was one of his more stronger albums of the 00s. Listen to "Planet Earth" (track one - I don't think the free CD had a tracklisting on the back). It's a bit of an epic, reminds me a bit of Jacko's Earth Song (which I loved).

Track 4 ("The One U Wanna C") is also a top notch slice of guitar pop with hooks for days.

There is some utter dreck on there though. Play those two songs first and see if it does anything for you....

Edited by Towelie

Prince opening his vault = Axl putting out all CD-era material

Except Prince has at least 20X more material in his vault. ;)

More like 200x more.

Seriously, I have about 20 discs full of Prince outtakes, unreleased tracks, bootlegs etc. All different songs, from different eras, some of which are complete garbage, some of it amongst the finest music ever committed to tape.

The man is a music making machine.

Care to share :)

Prince opening his vault = Axl putting out all CD-era material

Except Prince has at least 20X more material in his vault. ;)

More like 200x more.

Seriously, I have about 20 discs full of Prince outtakes, unreleased tracks, bootlegs etc. All different songs, from different eras, some of which are complete garbage, some of it amongst the finest music ever committed to tape.

The man is a music making machine.

Care to share :)

I don't upload shit onto the internet (don't want Prince's lawyer suing me). But I'll gladly make physical CD copies for anybody who asks....

Now the rumor is Prince working things out with Vanity and Morris Day. Not sure about Apollonia, but I don't see why she wouldn't make an appearance. Revolution reunion is going to be the big question in all of this.

The only massive collection of Prince bootlegs I can think of is The Work. Supposedly Prince is fine with fans sharing bootlegs now.

I remember when he covered Radiohead's Creep at a festival and even demanded videos of that be taken down and RH were like fuck off it's our song though obviously honoured that goddamn prince covered it.

That was pretty amusing when I read about it. Every now and then he has the Livestream up, and it could be anything from open rehearsals to concerts to playing a mix of songs. I read something about him taking part in a hackathon in New Orleans.

At least he's been putting things up on You Tube on the 3rdEyeGirl account. The rest of the videos are probably going to come up when the remasters are coming out.

I thought Emancipation was great.

I wholeheartedly agree. It gets a lot of shit by a lot of fans, probably because of the sheer quantity of tracks, but for me personally, it has always been one of my favourite Prince albums. Songs like Face Down, Joint 2 Joint, In This Bed I Scream, Courtin Time, Soul Sanctuary, New World, The Human Body.... these are amongst his very best work IMO.

And yet he stays away from performing those songs, supposedly because they are painful reminders of his failed marriage and child's death. It's a damn shame, that really is a great triple album.

PS - You forgot to mention Sex In The Summer, One of Us, My Computer, La La La and Style. ;)

If you had to compile a single disc Emancipation, which tracks would you select? I know it's been done a gazillion times, but it's still a fun game.

I actually would rather have the 3 disc set, even though there is at least six or seven tracks I could happily live without.

But if I had to reduce it onto one disc, I think this would be pretty cool:

1. Emancipation

2. Interactive

3. Face Down

4. Soul Sanctuary

5. Courtin Time

6. Joint 2 Joint

7. Curious Child

8. Dreamin' About U

9. New World

10. The Human Body

11. The Love We Make

12. In This Bed Eye Scream

To me, that is pretty much the perfect Prince album.

Edited by Towelie

• 4 weeks later...

Some friends of mine went to the show yesterday. Pity I couldn't make it. I'm more of a casual fan and I thought the setlist was awesome:

Let's Go Crazy
Take Me With U
Raspberry Beret
U Got the Look
Musicology
Kiss
When Doves Cry
Nasty Girl
Sign "?" the Times
Hot Thing
Controversy
Little Red Corvette
Nothing Compares 2 U
Funknroll
Pop Life
I Would Die 4 U
Housequake
Alphabet Street
Purple Rain
How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore
Diamonds and Pearls
The Beautiful Ones
Guitar
Plectrum Electrum
Sometimes It Snows in April
She's Always in My Hair
The Love We Make
Forever in My Life
Play That Funky Music
FixUrLifeUp
Something in the Water (Does Not Compute)
Screwdriver
The Ride
Endorphinmachine
What's My Name?

• Like 1

Some friends of mine went to the show yesterday. Pity I couldn't make it. I'm more of a casual fan and I thought the setlist was awesome:

Let's Go Crazy

Take Me With U

Raspberry Beret

U Got the Look

Musicology

Kiss

When Doves Cry

Nasty Girl

Sign "?" the Times

Hot Thing

Controversy

Little Red Corvette

Nothing Compares 2 U

Funknroll

Pop Life

I Would Die 4 U

Housequake

Alphabet Street

Purple Rain

How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore

Diamonds and Pearls

The Beautiful Ones

Guitar

Plectrum Electrum

Sometimes It Snows in April

She's Always in My Hair

The Love We Make

Forever in My Life

Play That Funky Music

FixUrLifeUp

Something in the Water (Does Not Compute)

Screwdriver

The Ride

Endorphinmachine

What's My Name?

WHAT. THE. FUCKING. FUCK.

The guy doesn't know when to stop. He's giving three surprise gigs tonight. Funny thing is word got out yesterday that their gear was being delivered at this venue, and people waited hours in vain yesterday. Then the rumor was that they'd play there tonight, the venue denied, but now he is doing three shows there anyway. It's only 400 people per show, so that's quite cool :)

• 4 weeks later...