Water filter discussion

saber_

Do any of you own a water filter? If so, which one? I'm thinking about getting a Berkey water filter. They're one of the few companies who offer filters which remove fluoride, whereas the off-the-shelf brands (Brita, PUR) do not remove fluoride.

Do you think that fluoride is, to some extend, bad for you when ingested? Does your country fluoridate the water?

I don't really see the point, to be honest. I just have a standard water jug that I keep in the 'fridge and I pour and drink from that.

I guess some of it depends on where you live. Where I live, the water quality is considered very high, but they still fluoridate the water. Most of Europe doesn't fluoridate the water, so conspiracy theories aside, it does save money to not add fluoride.

Some would argue fluoride is bad for you, even in the doses you're getting from drinking tap water. As I understand it, fluoride doesn't help your teeth systemically- by being in your blood stream. It only helps by being applied topically. So basically, they spend all this money fluoridating the water for the few brief moments it passes over your teeth.

I know the tinfoil hat jokes are imminent, but I thought this would dovetail nicely with my air purifier thread. :takethat:

I have a mechanical filter which is basically comprised of filter socks with 5 um pore dimensions that removes any large particles. The water is then filtered through a bag of active coal and a bag of rowaphos (for removing phosphates). Then the water passes two units of biological filtration, one filled with larger bioballs and the other with smaller. These serve to remove a lot of nutrients in the water. The water then passes through a protein skimmer which removes any loaded particles like amino acids through the process of foam fractionation. In the last part of the water filtration unit, the water goes through a refugium filled with various macro algae that remove any nutrients still available, before the water returns to my display tank filled with corals and tropical fish.

My drinking water?? No, I drink it straight from the tap. We have good drinking water here in Norway and I am not a loony.