Bumblefoot Nails Estranged

I'm not always the biggest Ron fan. I like his guitar playing a lot but could do without him always seeming vaguely unhappy but never doing anything about it. But I really have to give him credit for the way he plays Estranged. It's a difficult song to get just right. I think a lot of so called mindless shred guitarist would have struggled with it. Would have been interesting to hear Bucket's interpretation but I somehow feel it wouldn't have captured the essence of the song like Ron does.

Can you guys post some videos of your favorite performances of Estranged since it made its conspicuous return in Rio? My personal favorite is Philly 2012.

• Like 1

I enjoyed when they debuted it at RIRIV

I definitely agree that version was special because obviously the whole band was super stoked to debut the song and possibly even a little nervous too. So there's a lot of grit in that version. Absolutely the highlight of an otherwise dismal show and huge missed opportunity.

• Like 1

I've been noticing myself as well that he's got this song perfected. It's a big song for the right bends and fat guitar tone and he's got it close to perfect. The tone could be a little bigger but no biggie.

Haha that's Slash you're missing my friend. Nothing wrong with Bumble's tone when he plays the ChiDem tracks. Slash has just got fat tone oozing from his fingers. It's kinda his thing.

Edited by TOS--LOA

I've been noticing myself as well that he's got this song perfected. It's a big song for the right bends and fat guitar tone and he's got it close to perfect. The tone could be a little bigger but no biggie.

Haha that's Slash you're missing my friend. Nothing wrong with Bumble's tone when he plays the ChiDem tracks. Slash has just got fat tone oozing from his fingers. It's kinda his thing.

Slash was soulful and had those bluesy licks/bends that everyone is a sucker for. While what you say is what the majority will go with (not arguing) but most of the fat tone is straight up Les Paul. They are notorious for their tone.

While I agree with you for the most part that a good Les Paul and Marshall will give you fat tone, I still maintain that in order to sound like Slash you literally have to be Slash. An easy way to prove my point is to listen to DJ Ashba play the first solo in Estranged. While the tone is there for the most part.. It ain't Slash tone buddy.

While I agree with you for the most part that a good Les Paul and Marshall will give you fat tone, I still maintain that in order to sound like Slash you literally have to be Slash. An easy way to prove my point is to listen to DJ Ashba play the first solo in Estranged. While the tone is there for the most part.. It ain't Slash tone buddy.

Believe me when I tell you (and good call on the marshall's cause I completely left that part out) I'm not trying to discredit Slash and you make a strong case with DJ Ashba. But if we were investigating this situation closely I would have to check and see if DJ was playing through a Marshall as well and if he's using the trademark Seymour Duncan pickups that slash used as well.

Let's leave DJ out of it please lol cause I can't argue that. Ron doesn't play like Slash technically but if we're talking about just this one song only, and Slash was to let Ron use his complete setup I think Ron is a guy that could pull it off without us really knowing the difference.

lol Ashba's solo is atrocious. It sounds like the solo was broken into million pieces and glued together, and that's basically because that guy can't bend for shit. Bumblefoot's fade-in fade-out is good, but the tone is awful.

Slash's tone during the UYI tour was one of, if not the best fat tone I have heard in a Les Paul. Plus, the gold top he used to play Estranged is the same one he used for SCOM, Don't Cry back in the day and that particular guitar had a sustain like no other. Sad it got stolen.

• Like 1

Smokincigarettes-

Totally agree with you dude! And I'm not sure what pickups Ashba uses but I assume they're Duncans because why the fuck not if your job is to sound like Slash. I've read on this board that he is all digital but don't know if that's true. To my ears it sounds like he's digital but can't say for sure.

But back on topic.. Ron really seems to "get" this song.

Edited by TOS--LOA

lol Ashba's solo is atrocious. It sounds like the solo was broken into million pieces and glued together, and that's basically because that guy can't bend for shit. Bumblefoot's fade-in fade-out is good, but the tone is awful.

Slash's tone during the UYI tour was one of, if not the best fat tone I have heard in a Les Paul. Plus, the gold top he used to play Estranged is the same one he used for SCOM, Don't Cry back in the day and that particular guitar had a sustain like no other. Sad it got stolen.

I'm pretty sure it was the custom Snakepit guitar that was stolen. I think Slash retired the guitar you're talking about because it was barely holding together.

I'm pretty sure it was the custom Snakepit guitar that was stolen. I think Slash retired the guitar you're talking about because it was barely holding together.

You mean the one with the Snakepit logo? He still has it, actually he has two of them, the custom with the logo reversed and the regular one. He rarely uses it nowadays, last time was in 2010.

The Les Paul I'm talkin' about was not retired. It got stolen from his studio in 2000, I think. He was looking for it not long ago: http://slashonline.com/2013/05/24/help-slash-find-an-old-friend/

You mean the one with the Snakepit logo? He still has it, actually he has two of them, the custom with the logo reversed and the regular one. He rarely uses it nowadays, last time was in 2010.

The Les Paul I'm talkin' about was not retired. It got stolen from his studio in 2000, I think. He was looking for it not long ago: http://slashonline.com/2013/05/24/help-slash-find-an-old-friend/

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info! I definitely remember him talking about having to retire one of his classic guitars though. Edited by TOS--LOA

For me, this version of Estranged sums up NuGNR as a whole.

The notes are pretty much played identical, but it's just not the same. It just sounds a little off.

BFF's tone is terrible. Sounds so digital and processed. Sounds like hes playing through an Iphone.

One of the only highlights from Rio, I'm always partial to that picture of Axl looking gleeful in the yellow slicker though.

AXl.jpg

Bumble plays it well, I dunno what it is though, his tone sounds really clinical, but everyone has their own sound I guess. I can't even imagine what murder Ashba would commit with those damn graceful bends. It's good that BBF gets a centrepiece to shine on, it's such a phenomenal lead that is has to be nailed perfectly each night.

Edited by RandallFlagg

Axl was a lot more into it with a new song being played, imagine how up for it he'd be if he allowed the guys and himself to play something new they'd all wrote! Seems like he's holding himself back. Ashba's solo was just fine too, always feel like I need to be fair when he plays decent which is worrying lol.

Edited by RandallFlagg